GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to adjust the level of headlights ?

Old 12-04-01, 10:12 AM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool How to adjust the level of headlights ?

How to adjust the level of headlights on my 98 Gs300 HID? I?m also running on 17 stock. Not so much lights on the road, all light is on curb and bumpers of the cars.
After several attempts to adjust the level of HIDs at the dealers, I?m willing to do it myself. Seems like my passenger side headlight points higher than on driver?s side. I do have auto leveling (it works perfect) but need adjustment even after it is auto-leveled already. The bobbles on headlights indicate that they are pointing up. Looks like my passenger side headlamp was already replaced before and was not adjusted properly. Any pics of adjustment control? By the light print on asphalt it looks that passenger side light points higher than other does too.
How full the gas tank should be when adjusting the lights position?
Old 12-07-01, 12:45 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Wink Please help

I can not beleave, that nobody ever adjusted GS headlights. Esterday I was driving in heavy fog. They really need an adjusment. Any information, PLEASE
Old 12-07-01, 04:04 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

if u look @ the headlamp fixture, there is a hex lookin nut that u turn to adjust it up or down. on the passenger's side, it isnt too obvious which one it is because there are 2 of em. on the driver's side, its obvious because its the one that's easiest to get to.

i adjusted my HIDs to aim higher but now, its aimed too high and the light scatters. at least before, i would be able to see the ground in front. now i can barely see the ground in front and i can barely see the road ahead. too lazy to aim em back lower.
Old 12-10-01, 01:33 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Talking Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot!!!
What kind of tool did you use to adjust the lights? I don't want to scrue up the nut. You are stating that there to nuts for adjustment, which one to use (left, right)? What is the other nut doing?
Old 12-10-01, 07:38 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

forgot which one i used (left or right). other nut is used to adjust beam left/right.
Old 12-05-08, 07:52 AM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of my headlights is pointing higher than the other. Its the drivers side.
is there a DYS on this.
Again I am very visual. If there is great If not Ill try to do it and take some shots while I am doing it.
thank you
Old 02-24-09, 11:32 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

The passenger side headlight points higher from the factory. This is by design to provide more light on the right side of the road where you need it and out of the eyes of oncoming traffic.
Old 02-25-09, 12:07 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is in the manual guys...

if you're lowered and have factory HID, you'll have to mess with the auto leveler....again, there are previous threads on how to adjust the auto level.
Old 02-25-09, 07:15 AM
mick_foley
Pole Position

Yeah, lowering the car will definitely affect the way the car auto levels. I can see from the last guy's sig that he is lowered but either way the driver's side headlight is aimed lower from the factory so it is normal. If you don't like it, you'll have to adjust it.
Old 02-25-09, 10:50 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mick_foley
The passenger side headlight points higher from the factory. This is by design to provide more light on the right side of the road where you need it and out of the eyes of oncoming traffic.
For some reason why I adjusted the vertical and horizontal to center "0" and my driver side light is higher than the passenger. Also, I don't have a nice cut off either, doesn't look straight. 2003 GS430. Any inputs?
Old 02-25-09, 11:09 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

Not sure exactly about the centering setting but I'd guess that center "0" for the driver side and passenger side are just different for the reason I posted above - factory intention.

If your cut off flares up on the right side, then it's probably by design to illuminate the side of the road. The projector lights I installed on my car from the '05-06 ES have that characteristic. It gets a D for style but I sure can spot deer on the right side of the road.

Since you have reflector HID (correct me if I'm wrong), your cutoff won't be a straight line anyway. Projectors provide a more uniform output pattern.
Old 02-25-09, 11:14 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe your right, they are reflectors. But, they do flare up at the right end on both sides which makes them look weird. Or is it not suppose to be like that?
Old 02-25-09, 11:19 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

My projectors flare up on the right on BOTH sides too and I had been thinking the same thing you are thinking now. You're not alone. When I drive my wife's car again (an '02 ES with reflector HID), I'll see if her car flares up on the right side as well. I had never really paid attention before.
Old 02-25-09, 11:21 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

There is a thread, showing the cut off for the ES 300, and it happens to be straight like a line.
Old 02-26-09, 02:01 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm...I thought the headlights are always leveled no matter how high or how low the stance. Thought it was always parallel to the ground. I'd have to look into this to see where my lights are pointing...don't want to irritate anyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to adjust the level of headlights ?