GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Visual help request, wobbly steering knuckle (interior) -

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-07, 11:03 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Visual help request, wobbly steering knuckle (interior) -

Can anybody check to see if their steering knuckle joint (& shaft) located just above the brake pedal moves left/right when you manually shake it?

Mine moves 1/2". Does yours???

My 98 GS300 used to have steering vibration issues and thankfully have nearly all gone except for when driving over very rough ground at 5-10mph where the steering column shook around.

I managed to find the source of the problem, the main shaft is moving around the dust boot and also causing the steering column to also shake. I discovered that it I use my left foot and physically push on the steering column (as pic) the shaking was GONE!!

So please help a fellow forum member and nip out to your GS and see if yours wobbles left/right!

COULD this also be another steering vibration source that is annoying so many other members here?

Thanks

PS (Yes I have new Daizen steering bushings)

Last edited by gs-ireland; 04-24-07 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-24-07, 09:31 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you fix it by pushing? can you specify what excatly did you do?
Old 04-25-07, 01:16 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

I pushed my left foot up against the knuckle boot as shown in the pic when driving over rough surfaces. ALL VIBRATIONS/SHAKING DISAPPEARED and for obvious reasons this WILL restrict the movement of the wheel , but it gave me a new angle of attack to fix my problem.

I am now thinking could my steering column assembly be loose?
Before I strip the dash, can anybody see if their column moves left/right? or does it even budge???
Old 04-25-07, 07:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I noticed this a few months back. My joints are loose and you can tell when you shake the steering wheel left and right quickly. You hear a clunking noise. I dont know if you notice it. I'm trying to find a solution, at least a solution that doesn't require us to buy a complete new steering assembly.
Old 04-25-07, 11:16 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
My joints are loose and you can tell when you shake the steering wheel left and right quickly. You hear a clunking noise.
Ditto, you can hear and feel the knocking when you shimmy the wheel left-right-left very quickly.

I just stripped out my lower dash and steering column covers to get a closer look (just a handful of screws) to see exactly whats moving.

When I apply a bit of pressure and any angle up/down/left/right to the knuckle-joint all the clunking noise disappears. - You can check this yourself without any stripping. One hand to hold the knuckle and the other to shimmy the wheel.

The strange thing is the knocking *seems* to be coming from the knuckle joint and not within the main column!! - But my fear is that these knuckles joints could knock naturally if the main column has a bit of sideways movement.

I think the only way to test is to take out BOTH the interior and exterior knuckle joints and check them.
Old 04-25-07, 12:28 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can these joints be rebuilt? are these similar to the universal joints on the drive shaft?
Old 04-25-07, 12:55 PM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

After a HUGE search on the forums, I found 6 yr old thread:

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17909

Where they state:

Does it feel like the vibration is coming right up thru the steering column and into the steering wheel? I have seen several times the plastic bushing in the column has some wear and causes that. Replacing the entire column should fix it. Not saying that's it, but I would figure out a way to demonstrate it to a Lexus technician.

AND

Either standing still or at speed, my steering wheel had excess jiggle. When I would travel over a rough surface (pothole) etc. I would get a rattle feeling up the steering column. Took it in 5 times until finally the steering column joint was replaced and it feels like a brand new car. Oh, yes I had the howling steering adjustment solved previously and had a bushing kit put on the steering box to remove some of the harsh feedback. Good luck.
Old 04-25-07, 01:10 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

do you have pictures of the steering wheel assembly from the shaft to steering wheel? we'll see if there is a bushing or not.
Old 04-25-07, 01:34 PM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

No,

My Lexus manual does not break down the parts inside the assembly.

This is the Lexus exploded diagram (pg2 is best):

m_sr_0010.pdf

Last edited by gs-ireland; 04-25-07 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-25-07, 01:42 PM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

This is the steering rack assembly:

m_sr_0029.pdf
Old 04-26-07, 01:14 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Corkycal,

Did you try pushing on the knuckle when driving yet over bumps and at speed?

I was driving at 80mph this morning on a quiet motorway and out of curiosity I pushed against that knuckle to see if the steering play would also go. Its ALL GONE. My steering had ZERO play!
Old 04-26-07, 06:23 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

did it tighten up by pushing against it with your foot? that is weird. so now, the knuckle doesnt move anymore?
Old 04-26-07, 06:31 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

.... only when my foot is pushed against the knuckle, but when I take my foot away the play returns....

What might be an option instead of buying a new column assembly, is to add an extra roller-bearing to the shaft (with a fabricated braket) between the knuckle and the main column to take up the slack that the internal bushing used to.

Last edited by gs-ireland; 04-26-07 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-26-07, 07:48 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

im not sure if there is a kit to rebuild this part? maybe someone can chime in.
Old 04-29-07, 07:45 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering problem!!

gs-ireland,

I got your PM, I will just reply here. You probably read all my threads and I understand your frustration and everyone elses. Don't bother replacing anything. I replaced rack, joint (that you press with your foot), the whole steering column. I still have that rattle sound and loose feel in the steering over bumps going slowly. Lexus screwed up on this one, and as far as I know, you can't do anything about it but get a BMW, lol. The king of steering feel, in sedans. I was so frustrated with this steering problem, because this was the only thing I hated about this car, but after speaking to bunch of people on here, everyone had a same problem. Even DaveGS4 said somewhere on forum way back, that his car is better in everyway then an M5 after all his mods, but steering still is no good. I spoke to Toyota Mechanic that has 98 GS4 and he said he also tried to fix this issue, and said that you have to live with it, there is no fix.. If someone on this forum know how to, let us know.. But I am thinking of biting the bullet and going back to BMW, 04 545i sport.

Quick Reply: Visual help request, wobbly steering knuckle (interior) -