GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Engine Drain Plug Valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 08:42 PM
Chiadon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine Drain Plug Valve

Has anyone ever used this? If so, any problems? Seems like a great idea

www.fumotovalve.com
Old 03-15-07, 10:42 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one on my old Celica - worked great!
Old 03-16-07, 07:48 AM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

this looks like it would save a lot of time for an oil change...

scott1258 since you have experience on this would you recommend it for a lexus?
Old 03-16-07, 08:25 AM
narfy
Lead Lap

what's wrong with the factory toyota drain plug?? drains my oil super fast, and if i check my brakes while letting my oil drain, it drains it almost 100% of the oil in the pan... wut's teh big deal??
Old 03-16-07, 10:03 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by narfy
what's wrong with the factory toyota drain plug?? drains my oil super fast, and if i check my brakes while letting my oil drain, it drains it almost 100% of the oil in the pan... wut's teh big deal??

First - There is nothing wrong with the Toyota drain plug. As with the rest of our Toyota/Lexus cars they are full of quality parts.

Second - What this little gadget does is let you drain your oil by pushing a little lever and the oil begins to flow. You don't have to use a wrench to take off the drain plug, and then have the oil spil on your hands and get all over the drain plug, and then fish it out and clean the plug before you put it back in.

It's a time saver -- and a much cleaner way of changing your oil. With this installed you will also drain out the same amount of oil as you do with the toyota plug. This gadget replaces the plug and becomes your new plug - the difference is it has a valve in it where you don't have to remove the plug to drain your oil - you just open the valve and presto! the oil starts flowing out.

After all the oil drains out your just flip the little lever again to close it and add the new oil. No messing with the oily plug - and wrench - and new crush washer - and making sure you get the drain plug tightened just right and not too tight or too loose. Litterally, you install this thing and forget about it. As they say - no fuss and no more muss!

And yes, I would highly recommend this for our Lexus cars if you do your own oil changes. I had one on my Celica for over 5 years and it worked perfectly the entire time. It is a very solid part and never leaked. It just makes it so easy to change your oil - once you install it you will never go back to a regular drain plug - it will ruin you for life! for the drain plug!!!

I hope the person who invented it made a lot of money 'cause it's a really great idea and product. It's been around awhile too - I sold my Celica in 1989 and put the drain plug in 5 years before this.

Well - that's my experience with this plug. I hope it gives everyone some information to chew on and is helpful.

Scott
Old 03-16-07, 10:11 AM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just saves time for certain people...
Old 03-16-07, 01:47 PM
Sceptre
Pole Position

Anyone used this on a dropped car? I've read somewhere about road debris hitting it and causing a leak etc. . . or if the car is too low, it will hit against the pavement . . . Someone with experience please educate a noob here. Thanks.

Scott1258 - Nice explaination
Old 03-16-07, 02:41 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I used to have the Fram Suredrain. Same idea as this but instead of a lever, you screw on a cap with a drain fitting(kinda like an extra key). Only problem I see with the lever one is that someone might pull a fast one on you...lol.
Old 03-16-07, 05:46 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I used to have the Fram Suredrain. Same idea as this but instead of a lever, you screw on a cap with a drain fitting(kinda like an extra key). Only problem I see with the lever one is that someone might pull a fast one on you...lol.
Heh, i was thinking the same thing
Old 03-16-07, 06:30 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

i thought these things are dangerous on lowered cars...my friend with a e30 hit a foreign object with a drainer plug, and turned out that he has to get a new oil pan.
Old 03-16-07, 09:07 PM
Chiadon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good feedback guys. How low do some of you have your cars to be that big of a concern! I would think the debris thing would be far and few between. This sounds like most that have used it have had a positive experience so I'm going to give it a try since I'm a DIY guy.
Old 03-17-07, 07:54 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Chiadon
Has anyone ever used this? If so, any problems? Seems like a great idea

www.fumotovalve.com
I'll add my $.02. This oil drain is great. I've used it for over 20yrs. I 1st put it on my older Celica,Supra and 2 Nissan Sentra's and I 've never had any issues w/ it and anytime I've gone to a quick lube place they easily figured out how to flip the lever.
One time a shop told me that they did not reccomend it because it could break off. I put these on evry car I buy. Since my free oil changes have ended w/ the dealer, I just did my 1st oil change my Lex and I put one on.

All my other cars I just slid the oil pan under the car ( It helps to have a low oil pan not one that is like 7" or 8" high) and flipped the lever. Even w/ a low front bumper I was able to lay on my back and reach the plug from the wheel/rocker panel area. If your low with a skirts and front bumper Kit you will have to lift it some toget the pan ubder it.

As far as it getting hit , it sits slightly higher than your sway bars and cross frame. But, I guess if you hit something large and hard enough it could get damaged I've never had one of mine damaged or even leaking.

I tried the one with the nipple on it cause I thougt I might want to put a hose on it but that will make it drain a little slower. Also after I put it on it sticks out a bit but not significantly still on the fence if i want to keep the nipple one. I'll post some pics. I added the Fumoto valve when I did my sway install
Old 03-17-07, 12:24 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Here is the pic (not a great pic) of when I installed the quick drain. The nipple one does not stick out as much as it appears in the pic. The car is raised whei I shoot the pic,
With the car on the ground and looking under the car from the front the you barely see the nipple.
So if you get it w/o the nipple it should clear up any doubt.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Drain Plug Valve-100_2051-large-.jpg  
Old 03-17-07, 12:29 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

another pic. I just realized that you have to jack the driver side up some to get to the oil filter atleast on the GS400/430 not sure about the GS/IS 300. All my other cars were alot simlper I could change the oil filter from the engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Drain Plug Valve-100_2052-large-.jpg  
Old 03-17-07, 12:33 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Fumotovalve up close.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Drain Plug Valve-im000729-fumoto-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Engine Drain Plug Valve