GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Many have asked me. What do you think of the GS 400 vs GS 430?? My analysis.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 01:40 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the sound system the same on the 400 and the 430???
Old 08-08-07, 04:49 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
One more observation.
With the GS 400, when I went down a hill or the road went down a few degrees, the car would stay in its gear and I would either have to use the e-shift to downshift or just ride the brake.

I noticed in the GS 430, if I tap the brake on the same road, the transmission downshifts a gear for me. I have tested this the last few months and there is a difference. It helps slow the car going down a hill without tapping the brakes.
MY GS400 will do this same downshift on a slight decline.
It'll stay in the lower gear until you accelerate again...
or (obviously) if you slow more or come to a stop it'll grab
the appropriate gear.

I liked the throttle response of the 1UZ and the e-shift,
which I use almost on a daily basis.

Also, 2000 was the last year for Spectra Blue,
so it was a no-brainer for me.
Old 08-13-07, 08:26 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

gotta go with the 430, even though I have a 400, I like the wider navi, the silver trim on the cluster, etc, etc..
Old 10-01-07, 10:32 AM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Nice job on the write up. I have a 99 GS400 w/ 124K and it is a great car. I did just test drive the GS430, a 2001 car, and am considering upgrading. Both cars are the same white over tan w/ spoiler but of course the newer car was cosmetically nicer and had the few feature improvements like the wood steering and compass, etc. My GS400 has LTuned shocks/struts and Moda wheels and DIY chrome grill, otherwise stock.. it looks great. I guess just the lower miles are pretty appealing.. plus the GS430 is a one owner and well kept.

All together, these cars are just the best choice, I think, either one, and I cannot find a better value for performance, size, style, sportiness, quality and ease of maintenance with rear wheel drive being a must have. Now back to deciding if I should go get that GS430!! Anyone want to buy a GS400? Force my decision!!
Old 02-21-08, 07:37 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exterior
- The design of the radiator grille has been changed.
- The headlight extension color has been changed.
- The design of the 16-inch wheel and wheel ornament have been changed.
- The design of the rear combination lights have been changed.
- The design of the baffles in the muffler has been changed.
- The front door windows have adopted water-repellent type glass.
- A tether has been provided to prevent the fuel filler cap from being lost.
Interior
- The design of the meter cluster has been changed.
- The color of the center register has been changed.
- A chrome-plated hole bezel has been adopted for the automatic transmission shifter.
- The front panel of the ashtray receptacle has adopted genuine wood.
- The design of the steering wheel has been changed.
- An assist grip has been newly added to the driver’s side.
Suspension
- Low-pressure gas-sealed shock absorbers with a linear control valve are used
Brakes
- Dust covers have been redesigned to improve cooling
- Diameter of the master cylinder has increase from 22mm to 27mm for improved brake feel
Body
- The construction of the asphalt sheet has been optimized and its application areas have been expanded to reduce engine and road noise.
- A CRS anchor bracket and CRS lower anchorage have been provided to properly secure children seats.
- Internal trunk release handle has been added.
Air Conditioning
A deodorizing function that eliminates the exhaust gas smell that enters the cabin from the outside has been added to the conventional clean air filter.
Door Lock Control System
“Automatic door lock,” “One-motion door unlock” and “Collision door lock release” functions have been added to the door lock control system.
SRS Airbag System
- A curtain shield airbag has been adopted as the SRS of the ’01 GS430/300. This curtain shield airbag operates under the same condition as the side airbag.
- A function that detects whether or not the front passenger seat is occupied and prohibits the deployment of the front passenger airbags (front, side and curtain shield) if the seat is unoccupied, has been adopted in the SRS airbag system.
- The ’01 GS430/300 have adopted a fuel cut control that stops the fuel pump if the SRS driver’s and front passenger’s airbags have been deployed.
Automatic Glare-Resistant EC Mirror and Compass
- A compass display has been adopted to the usual automatic glare-resistant EC mirror (inner rear view mirror) on models without GPS (Global Positioning System) voice navigation as optional equipment.

Cough... Cough....
2JZ-GE Differences
- Iridium-tipped spark plugs have been adopted.
- A fuel cut control is adopted to stop the fuel pump when the airbag is deployed at the front or side collision.
- The method for detecting the evaporative emission leaks has been changed and the composition of the evaporative emission control system has been partially changed.

If that helps...
Old 03-22-08, 09:23 AM
mkaresh
Rookie

Originally Posted by gottahaveit2
Nice job on the write up. I have a 99 GS400 w/ 124K and it is a great car. I did just test drive the GS430, a 2001 car, and am considering upgrading. Both cars are the same white over tan w/ spoiler but of course the newer car was cosmetically nicer and had the few feature improvements like the wood steering and compass, etc. My GS400 has LTuned shocks/struts and Moda wheels and DIY chrome grill, otherwise stock.. it looks great. I guess just the lower miles are pretty appealing.. plus the GS430 is a one owner and well kept.

All together, these cars are just the best choice, I think, either one, and I cannot find a better value for performance, size, style, sportiness, quality and ease of maintenance with rear wheel drive being a must have. Now back to deciding if I should go get that GS430!! Anyone want to buy a GS400? Force my decision!!
Judging from your sig, looks like you made the switch. Anything to add to the OPs list?
Old 03-22-08, 02:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
“Automatic door lock,” “One-motion door unlock” and “Collision door lock release” functions have been added to the door lock control system.
S
I love this feature. I'm thinking of switching to the 01+ door lock actuator just to have this feature. It's so damn convenient not having to manually unlock the door.
Old 03-23-08, 08:18 AM
mkaresh
Rookie

I don't see "trip computer" anywhere here. I haven't been able to find one in my 2000, but figure it must be there somewhere. Maybe RTFM...
Old 04-24-08, 03:04 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaresh
I don't see "trip computer" anywhere here. I haven't been able to find one in my 2000, but figure it must be there somewhere. Maybe RTFM...
Its right on the right part of the cluster. Two buttons, on labeled RESET, the other Trip I believe.
Old 04-24-08, 12:24 PM
mkaresh
Rookie

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Its right on the right part of the cluster. Two buttons, on labeled RESET, the other Trip I believe.
I believe that's just a trip odometer, not a computer for MPG, DTE, etc.
Old 04-24-08, 07:46 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaresh
I believe that's just a trip odometer, not a computer for MPG, DTE, etc.

I think he misunderstood the previous statement. Our GS does not have a trip computer or mpg information, UNLESS your GS comes with navigation. Unfortunetly my GS does not come with lovely navi... But it's still a lexus, and i love it!
Old 05-05-08, 06:20 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I was thinking about upgrading from my 99 to a GS430- I cannot get one with the e-shift? So you still have control of up/downshifts, but you have to use the shifter (one of those + / - deals?). Will it let you downshift below 2nd gear?

Can you get a 430 with a factory DVD player? That would be a nice option...
Old 06-01-08, 01:30 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

I like them all.
Old 07-10-08, 09:18 AM
soakgame
Lead Lap

e-shift is one of my favorite features on the 400.. why did they get rid of it on the 430?
Old 07-10-08, 09:20 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by soakgame
e-shift is one of my favorite features on the 400.. why did they get rid of it on the 430?
For emissions reasons.

Quick Reply: Many have asked me. What do you think of the GS 400 vs GS 430?? My analysis.