GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Snow tires?

Old 02-14-07, 10:34 AM
xlqp111
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow tires?

I was just wondering which snow tires should i get on my 430? Any suggestions?
Old 02-14-07, 01:24 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

find a set of 16" rims and snow tires will be MUUUCH cheaper...

nokian hakkapaliita's WR or RSI's are really really good...

michelin pilot alpinII's are really good

michelin x-ice are good

i'd stay away from bridgestone blizzaks tho... they don't fare too well in our canadian weather...
Old 02-14-07, 02:01 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

FYI...I drove from Philadelphia to Wilmington down 95 this morning in pretty snowy conditions on 17" PZero Nero M&S.

Those tires have 30k on them already, too. I was so impressed.
Old 02-14-07, 02:12 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

continental Contiwinters. I have them for my GS 17"s but this winter i opted to just ride 20" chrome the whole winter and the Falken 452's are doing pretty good but its been a mild winter. Im going to sell the rims this spring so i figured to keep ridin and looking fresh i hate stock rims.
Old 02-14-07, 02:14 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonathancl
FYI...I drove from Philadelphia to Wilmington down 95 this morning in pretty snowy conditions on 17" PZero Nero M&S.

Those tires have 30k on them already, too. I was so impressed.
Yeah I used I-95 to drive into Wilmington and it seemed like the snow plow drivers went on strilke or something because I wasn't impressed at what I seen. And it's not like we got a lot of snow.

I'm iooking into the Blizzaks or Pilot Alpins from Michelin. TireRack has specials on some on these snow tires last I checked.
Old 02-14-07, 02:18 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ReLexin
I opted to just ride 20" chrome the whole winter and the Falken 452's are doing pretty good but its been a mild winter. Im going to sell the rims this spring so i figured to keep ridin and looking fresh i hate stock rims.
I hear u on that one. I mean it's been cold, but we haven't had any major snow. That's why I still got my chrome on. I clean them as much as I can when there's salt and brine on the road.
Old 02-14-07, 02:25 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I hear u on that one. I mean it's been cold, but we haven't had any major snow. That's why I still got my chrome on. I clean them as much as I can when there's salt and brine on the road.
True, My girlfriend says i look like an idiot, but like always i get new wheels and sell my old wheels to stupied kids, and usually make money off the wheels i have used for 6 months. The salt has not messed up my wheels at all yet though, there is a nice wax job on them inside and out.
Old 02-14-07, 02:31 PM
h0t SaUc3
Rookie

It was horrible here in new york today. Snow tires definetly would of came in handy. I took a year off my transmission from shifting in and out of drive and reverse from being stuck in the snow. I need to start looking for some snow tires soon enough.
Old 02-14-07, 05:24 PM
wallcloud
Driver School Candidate

I have the Michelin X-Ice and they are great. They came w the car. I finally put them on and they make an incredible difference. I did a google search on snow tires, they had various reviews and these were some of the best that were tested. There were several that graded out almost as good as studded tires on the "hard ice" and much better in other driving conditions.
Old 02-14-07, 06:21 PM
jz4203
Rookie

I live in southern New Hampshire and a few of us around here really like the Dunlop M3s. They call it a performance snow tire (at Tire Rack) and it works great. I go with the belief that I really only need snows 6-12 days in the New England winters. Other than that the roads are in fine shape and the Dunlops are are much better tire on dry roads than your standard snow tires (that's why I stay away from the Blizzaks). Besides my GS, I put them on my wife's BMW325. They were much quieter and better handling than the Bridgestone all-seasons that came on her car. Good luck with your choice; you'll find almost any snow tire will make a significant improvement.
Old 02-14-07, 06:28 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wallcloud
I have the Michelin X-Ice and they are great. They came w the car. I finally put them on and they make an incredible difference. I did a google search on snow tires, they had various reviews and these were some of the best that were tested. There were several that graded out almost as good as studded tires on the "hard ice" and much better in other driving conditions.
I have to check out more reviews for this tire. TireRack rated it snow handling as "Superior" and have it priced for $80 each right now.
Old 02-14-07, 06:56 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jz4203
I live in southern New Hampshire and a few of us around here really like the Dunlop M3s. They call it a performance snow tire (at Tire Rack) and it works great. I go with the belief that I really only need snows 6-12 days in the New England winters. Other than that the roads are in fine shape and the Dunlops are are much better tire on dry roads than your standard snow tires (that's why I stay away from the Blizzaks). Besides my GS, I put them on my wife's BMW325. They were much quieter and better handling than the Bridgestone all-seasons that came on her car. Good luck with your choice; you'll find almost any snow tire will make a significant improvement.

I just checked and the Dunlop M3s are rated at the top of the "winter passenger" category, ahead of the Blizzak LM-25 and LM-22 and the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2. Here's the link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C

The problem is that they don't come in 225/55/16. What size did you put on your GS?
Old 02-14-07, 07:52 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I saw the chart on TireRack and they have the tires broke down into three categories. Does anyone know what "Performance Winter Tire" mean? Are there any advantages with performance as oppose to the studless ice & snow? All I would really want is great handling in the snow.
Old 02-15-07, 02:52 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Im using "Continental ContiViking Contact2" tires on my stock 16" wheels. And having just made a trip that totalled nearly 1000km on snow and ice-covered roads i must say im VERY impressed with them

Here in scandinavia it seems that just about every test either the conti or the nokian-tires comes up as the winner...and having had the nokians on my Supra i thought id give the conti's a go
Old 02-15-07, 05:53 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

MICHELIN PILOT ALPINS ALL THE WAY!!!!!

I've got them on the stock 17"s and they are great. You want to get a tire that works well on snow and ice but also performs well on dry pavement. Some snow tires make the ride feel way too mushy on the highway but the Michelin Pilots feel good going 80 mph. They are not cheap though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snow tires?