GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Whirring noise at 45 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 08:49 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar problem also. Has nothing to do with temperature outside. Sounds like it was coming from my right rear so I replaced the wheel bearing with no luck and no change in noise. Not tire related because I have had 4 different sets of rear tires both aftermarket 20's and stock 17's. Surely someone has some ideas. Not sure about everyone else, but my "whirring" noise changes sounds dependent on speed. Some ideas would be great.
Old 01-04-10, 08:45 PM
YOO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick VR-4
Similar problem also. Has nothing to do with temperature outside. Sounds like it was coming from my right rear so I replaced the wheel bearing with no luck and no change in noise. Not tire related because I have had 4 different sets of rear tires both aftermarket 20's and stock 17's. Surely someone has some ideas. Not sure about everyone else, but my "whirring" noise changes sounds dependent on speed. Some ideas would be great.
Im getting the same noise and i just replaced the bearing.

What else could be it? Axle?????? something rubbing/grinding? maybe the brake shoes? maybe the hub is rubbing against the hub carrie?

im reallly up set now that i the car was down for 2 weeks waiting for parts to come in and $$ spent for nothing...
Old 12-09-10, 08:52 PM
ShadowGS4
Rookie

Anyone figure this out yet? Mine just developed this noise @ 40 mph, goes away by 45 mph and below 40 mph. Of note, it has gotten very cold here lately like 20-40's. Would love to figure out what the noise is. As others have stated it seems to be coming from the rear, and mainly right rear for me.
Old 12-10-10, 02:00 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YOO
Im getting the same noise and i just replaced the bearing.

What else could be it? Axle?????? something rubbing/grinding? maybe the brake shoes? maybe the hub is rubbing against the hub carrie?

im reallly up set now that i the car was down for 2 weeks waiting for parts to come in and $$ spent for nothing...
did you replace wheel bearing yourself or have the pro do it?
Old 12-10-10, 05:20 AM
RoboRam12
Driver

I've had this before. The sound comes from the middle of my car, so my best guess is something transmission/driveline/differential related. But when you consider it goes away once everything reaches operating temps, it doesn't seem too worrying. Also a bad wheel bearing would make more of a roar, and wouldn't really go away.
Old 12-10-10, 07:12 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is still there and has been for almost two years. Like I said, brand new wheel bearings with zero change. It does not get any worse and it does not get any better. Has nothing to do with tires as I have changed rear tires multiple times. I have no idea what to do?
Old 12-10-10, 12:37 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my sound went away. i don't really know why.
Old 12-10-10, 03:54 PM
RoboRam12
Driver

Originally Posted by Quick VR-4
Mine is still there and has been for almost two years. Like I said, brand new wheel bearings with zero change. It does not get any worse and it does not get any better. Has nothing to do with tires as I have changed rear tires multiple times. I have no idea what to do?
Check your differential? Or it could be something in the transmission. If you replaced the wheel bearings and the sound it still there, then it obviously wasn't a wheel bearing problem.
Old 12-12-10, 06:13 PM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

I have this too, it sounds like its coming from the diff and only happens when I step on the gas. i hear it more pulling off and not as loud on the highway.

Last edited by Lexusfam; 12-18-10 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-12-10, 07:19 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

wheel bearings! ....or if you're running cheap tires
Old 12-18-10, 07:28 PM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS3mike
wheel bearings would be heard at all speeds, not just by pulling off. no cheap tires here.
Old 12-18-10, 10:17 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Yeah mine used to whirl at those speeds. Then one day I had diff fluid all over my ground and I drove a mile to the shop and it was filled with metal shavings, well what was left...
I had replaced one wheel bearing because it was actually shot coincidentally. But after I put my new diff in the noise was completely gone.

It used to be 30, 45 and somethings around 50s. Not on the highway. Most prevailent when cold.
Old 12-21-10, 06:51 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3mike
New wheel bearings...4 sets of tires with Falken FK452's being the cheapest set.

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
Yeah mine used to whirl at those speeds. Then one day I had diff fluid all over my ground and I drove a mile to the shop and it was filled with metal shavings, well what was left...
I had replaced one wheel bearing because it was actually shot coincidentally. But after I put my new diff in the noise was completely gone.

It used to be 30, 45 and somethings around 50s. Not on the highway. Most prevailent when cold.

Curious, when your transfer case was dying did it sound like the noise was predominately to one side or just coming from the back-end. My noise seems to be passenger side only. I am going to change fluid to Royal Purple as I am sure it is time anyway so I will check for metal shavings.
Old 01-23-11, 03:33 PM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

changed the diff oil, used mobile 1, didn't help. gonna change to motul when it warms up.
Old 01-04-13, 05:40 AM
Endgame
Driver

I have an IS-F. Now that it is colder here, i hear a whirling/whistling noise coming from my front driver side area. It only happens when I get up to about 45 MPH. It was not there while warmer. It almost sounds like wind noise, but a high pitched wind noise.

Any thoughts????

Quick Reply: Whirring noise at 45 MPH