GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

convert tan to black interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-07, 09:21 AM
owali
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile convert tan to black interior

I am getting tired of the tan interior. I don't really want to hunt down and swap all the tan parts out for used black ones. I was thinking I would get black leather seat covers for the seats and a new headliner. But I wanted to try and paint/dye the dash, carpet and other trim pieces.

Has anyone else tried this yet? If so what product did you use? How did it hold up over time?

I have been reading about molecubond. It seems like it might work. Anyone ever try?
Old 01-13-07, 10:46 AM
owali
Driver

Screw it, I am going to do it anyway. I have read some good things about molecubond. I will post pics for you all here when I am done. I wont get around to it for a while though.
Old 01-13-07, 10:51 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Ask bluelex about it. He had a hell of a time trying swapping his interior to black by painting. I think in the end, he just gave up and bought new dash pieces. As for me, eventually I'm going to buy a sportdesign GS and swap that interior out...then sell it. That way I'll be the only Pearl White GS with a SD black interior
Old 01-13-07, 12:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

find a wrecked GS with black interior. i'm sure it'll be a lot cheaper than buying new OEM dash and such.
Old 01-13-07, 12:57 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't do it. It sucks. Doesn't look good. Takes a lot of time.

Dying interior

Jonny
Old 01-13-07, 03:17 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My conversion wasn't really a pain in the butt, it was more of a time consuming toe nail pulling all out effort...LOL I tried dying the dash but it looked fake. I had to cough it up and buy a new blk one at the dealer. The dash and door panels are big but its the minor stuff like the seatbelts,kicker panels, door roof trim, underseat panels, buttons, and done light panel that really make it look oem. Its a tough project that will take lots of time and money make sure you are willing to go all the way cuz once you start theres no going back..... Good luck..
Old 01-13-07, 06:45 PM
owali
Driver

I thought about getting the dash and such from another GS, but then I started thinking about the air bags in the steering wheel and dash and that turned me off. I don't know. thanks for all the input. I am determined to get a black interior, it is just a matter of how. I will have to think about it.
Old 01-14-07, 09:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bluelex
My conversion wasn't really a pain in the butt, it was more of a time consuming toe nail pulling all out effort...LOL I tried dying the dash but it looked fake. I had to cough it up and buy a new blk one at the dealer. The dash and door panels are big but its the minor stuff like the seatbelts,kicker panels, door roof trim, underseat panels, buttons, and done light panel that really make it look oem. Its a tough project that will take lots of time and money make sure you are willing to go all the way cuz once you start theres no going back..... Good luck..
All I can say is Adrian's swap is SICK. I mean wow.
Old 01-15-07, 08:20 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Adrian is right, it's a ton of work to make it look right.
All the little trim pieces will nickel & dime you to death.

If you have a "normal" colored GS (white, silver, black, gold),
I hate to say it, but you're probably better off selling your car
and finding one that already has a black interior.

Adrian's was a special case because his Spectra Blue exterior
color is very rare- I don't think more than a handful were even
made with black interior. I have Spectra Blue on Grey, and that
took me several months to find... I bought it out in Arizona,
although the car had originally been special-ordered through a
local SoCal dealer near me.
Old 01-15-07, 08:31 AM
vborder
Lead Lap

No Dying!... It will look like crap and probably will start chipping later on
Old 01-15-07, 04:39 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually still have my tan dash that was painted blk in my attic. I'm keeping it in case I ever go crazy..lol

But to follow up on your airbag concerns, don't worry man. The air bag in the steering wheels comes right off and the air bag behind the dash was no problem either. Its looks scary when you pull out the dash cuz there are so many wires back there but once we started to unplug we realized that it was pretty easy to swap the dash. I know some guys that have dyed their dashes and the problem isn't just that it may crack or fade but the fact that it just looks not oem. If you think you can look past that than I guess paint it. I still suggest you pull the dash to paint aswell. Good luck and let us know how it goes..