GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP!! Paint shop CANT match the paint!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-01, 07:26 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok.....and what about the thousands spent to paint the kit? ask for it back?
Old 11-04-01, 08:18 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by CSHFLW
ok.....and what about the thousands spent to paint the kit? ask for it back?
you paid thousands?

and can't match the color?

I would ask for it back. I don't know about you but when a few thousand dollars are spend towards something crappy I would definitely as for it back.

btw, why pay thousands?
Old 11-04-01, 09:54 PM
reLEXin247
Rookie

correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't most expensive metallic paint jobs 3 stage(base coat, paint color, clear coat) ? I'm wondering what is under the factory silver paint. could be black, white, another silver who knows... but I do know that if any hint of that fiberglass is showing through thin paint it will completely change the shade of the color.
Old 11-04-01, 10:19 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by reLEXin247
correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't most expensive metallic paint jobs 3 stage(base coat, paint color, clear coat) ? I'm wondering what is under the factory silver paint. could be black, white, another silver who knows... but I do know that if any hint of that fiberglass is showing through thin paint it will completely change the shade of the color.
the Win.Racing kit that CSHFLW got is probably just unpainted fiberglass, therefore doesn't have any base color under it.

A good bodyshop will completely sand off and prime a kit if there's some color on it already. Then they will paint it so they don't have to worry about colors showing up with some other color under it.
Old 11-05-01, 08:02 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

the Win.Racing kit that CSHFLW got is probably just unpainted fiberglass, therefore doesn't have any base color under it.

A good bodyshop will completely sand off and prime a kit if there's some color on it already. Then they will paint it so they don't have to worry about colors showing up with some other color under it.

NO...the kit was sanded and primed, it's a brand new kit. Of course no kit is ready to paint out of the box. And no fiber glass is showing through.....THIS is a very reputable shop...AKA...you pay thousands because you get what you pay for.....they will get it right, I'm just pissed it's taking so long....and wondering why the paint doesn't match....the 1C0 is no where near the same.....Just wondered about any tips others may have....
Old 11-05-01, 07:29 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

The Lexus area Rep told me if you use Zaino type of product to wax your car it will change the color of the paint and make it very hard to match up if you paint the car.
Old 11-09-01, 03:02 PM
Dai Ca GQ
Driver

What is the name of the bodyshop?... I can recommend you to a very reputable high end bodyshop if you want...
Old 11-09-01, 04:36 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

In Portland OR????
Old 11-09-01, 05:29 PM
Dai Ca GQ
Driver

I know a good one in beaverton... what is the name of the bodyshop your car is currently in?
Old 11-09-01, 06:01 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

LT&T...they specialize in custom work
Old 11-09-01, 06:42 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

ok first off, globe is right about the colors..any 2000+ silver gs is in millenium silver..doesnt matter if your platinum edition or not..u just get a fancy sticker and some other nice gadgets..put your car next to any other 2000 and itll be the same..put it next to a 98 or 99 and your car will look 'golder' as u said..now im 1000000% sure of that..

next..i agree with globe again..go to another shop =)..if your paying thousands and theyve tried painting over a few times with no success, theres just something wrong. and another thing, forget about reputable shops..its all about the reputable WORKER thats doing the job. you could go to a high end place and they just hired someone new and doesnt know **** and is learning off your car..take it somewhere where u know that the person thats working on your car has had many good results in the past. well there are extents..shop has to have pretty good equipment also.

tell them your tired of their ****, and that you will give them one more chance..if it doesnt come out perfect, you want your money back plus some more for the waste of time and making you have to redo all the work they have already done. thats the route i would take.

late
Old 11-09-01, 08:23 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask the dealer ship if they added some kind of gold pearle to the car maybe thats why your getting diffrent colors, some dealers do that to have a " one off " car and then mark up the price like crazy
Old 11-09-01, 11:59 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by fierce gs
ok first off, globe is right about the colors..any 2000+ silver gs is in millenium silver..doesnt matter if your platinum edition or not..u just get a fancy sticker and some other nice gadgets..put your car next to any other 2000 and itll be the same..put it next to a 98 or 99 and your car will look 'golder' as u said..now im 1000000% sure of that..

next..i agree with globe again..go to another shop =)..if your paying thousands and theyve tried painting over a few times with no success, theres just something wrong. and another thing, forget about reputable shops..its all about the reputable WORKER thats doing the job. you could go to a high end place and they just hired someone new and doesnt know **** and is learning off your car..take it somewhere where u know that the person thats working on your car has had many good results in the past. well there are extents..shop has to have pretty good equipment also.

tell them your tired of their ****, and that you will give them one more chance..if it doesnt come out perfect, you want your money back plus some more for the waste of time and making you have to redo all the work they have already done. thats the route i would take.

late
thanks for the support

but hey couldn't put it in better details than you
Old 11-11-01, 12:39 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

[i]

late [/B]
Yea, I'd like to see that happen! There going to give me money back After I already paid? No way....and I'm not going to take legal action over this. I mean Body shops are scam artists IMO....and you will get Fuked when ever they get the chance and think nothing about it....I ahve never seen a shop that cared about return service.....
Old 11-11-01, 01:06 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by CSHFLW

Yea, I'd like to see that happen! There going to give me money back After I already paid? No way....and I'm not going to take legal action over this. I mean Body shops are scam artists IMO....and you will get Fuked when ever they get the chance and think nothing about it....I ahve never seen a shop that cared about return service.....

and you're talking about a REPUTABLE shop here?

Quick Reply: HELP!! Paint shop CANT match the paint!!