GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hit a pothole

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 07:50 AM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hit a pothole

I've had my GS lowered for 2 1/2 years now and I've been very fortunate - no irregular tire wear, steering's straight, no wandering. Heck, I've only got one alignment done and that was right after the coilovers were installed (30k ago). Last week my fortune changed when the front left tire hit a huge pothole and messed up the alignment/steering - the steering wheel is slightly turned right when going straight.

I took the GS to the same shop that did my alignment originally and when I got the car back, the steering was still to the right. Driving the car, it definitely is "fighting itself" trying to go straight, especially at highway speeds.

Below are scans of the alignment; first one is my existing condition, second is my original alignment. Of course I'm going to take the car back and ask them to do another alignment but is there a separate adjustment to correct the steering wheel?

ALIGNMENT AFTER I HIT THE POTHOLE

ALIGNMENT BEFORE I HIT THE POTHOLE
Old 12-13-06, 08:19 AM
vborder
Lead Lap

I think there should be an adjustment for the steering wheel, When i had my old civic, my buddy who is a Tuner Tech. just loosen something with the steering wheel (I think he said there is something at the bottom of the steering stuff that he just did that and align it and tighten it back up)
I think works the same way in every car, but thats all it is, nothing to do with the wheel alignment
Old 12-13-06, 09:54 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks to me like your previous and current alignment could be better than that. I would take it back to shop and have them redo it.

Current alignment indicate there was not much done (almost nothing) to correct setting's up front. Poor service......
Old 12-13-06, 11:54 AM
blkvader
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

search for the steering wheel tensioner, somenthing like that.
Old 12-13-06, 12:02 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

you can set the steering wheel straight without affecting the rest of your alignment...

DO NOT REMOVE TEH STEERING WHEEL TO DO THIS... you adjust the tie rods... if your wheel is over to the right, legnthen the left tie rod, and shorten the right...

this being said, i'd let the professionals at the alignment shop do it... they obviously didn't do your alignment correctly and should therefore redo it free of charge to you...

remember that balljoints get hammered really hard when you hit a pothole... so check for loose/bent/damaged suspension/steering parts and replace them before you align...
Old 12-13-06, 12:41 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

caster is way to high out of spec toe is uneven so total toe too high should be no higher then +14 not +27

on the rear which is why you are having steering wheel problems your thrust angle needs to be at zero take it back and dont leave until its right
Old 12-13-06, 04:33 PM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Good info. So I should get an alignment again and then check the steering wheel as well as check components.

So what happens when the shop claims the alignment can't be any better because the GS is lowered, or the springs have settled since 2 years ago and this is the best they can do now? Bunch-o-crap or... ?