GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: what color of tint do you have?
black (other then 5%)
51.61%
black (5%)
38.71%
reflection kind of tint
9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

2GS FAQ: Tint thread (add your tint pics and details here)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-09, 06:17 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Keep in mind it's also going to depend where you live. Someone in NY is probably going to pay a different price than someone say in FL. Post in your local forum to get a better idea of what people are paying in your area.
Old 06-27-09, 11:24 PM
99Aristo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Keep in mind it's also going to depend where you live. Someone in NY is probably going to pay a different price than someone say in FL. Post in your local forum to get a better idea of what people are paying in your area.
huh? That was $25 less including the windshield so get your facts straight before you respond. Anyway, the market is for **** in almost the whole car industry as told to me by more than just my "tinter" friends so the prices have gone down dramatically. And oddly enough he searches for jobs all over the country and looks for shops to buy and knows those prices also...plus th efact I have people in the midwest and the south. Did ya think I was pulling this **** out of my ***? lol I've got most of the country covered....****, even my dealership doesn't charge as much as this guy was gonna pay.
Old 06-27-09, 11:28 PM
99Aristo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Newchapter
Not totally true. I'm the guy that just bought the GS. I called around and got a rate quote of $175. I asked our buddy if he'd match the price. The breakdowns are all different but he wanted 100 for the car and 75 for the windshield. I ended up paying him 200 and he did the windshield with a visor and the moonroof.

Yes you are.......and this is all true also. Ya know what I hate the most, is trying to help someone get a feel for the right price to only have someone try and prove me wrong when I have all the facts in line. **** I hate forums.
Old 06-28-09, 01:07 AM
GS300Turbo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got 5% all around and 50% on my front windshield for $265
Old 06-28-09, 03:17 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Per the advice above, I used a local forum to find a guy who does it for $140 for all 5 windows, and seeing pics of his work and the vouches on here, it'll be done soon

Thanks!
Old 06-28-09, 03:47 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Aristo
huh? That was $25 less including the windshield so get your facts straight before you respond. Anyway, the market is for **** in almost the whole car industry as told to me by more than just my "tinter" friends so the prices have gone down dramatically. And oddly enough he searches for jobs all over the country and looks for shops to buy and knows those prices also...plus th efact I have people in the midwest and the south. Did ya think I was pulling this **** out of my ***? lol I've got most of the country covered....****, even my dealership doesn't charge as much as this guy was gonna pay.
Well aren't we lucky to have the national tint expert on our forum, welcome aboard.
Old 07-02-09, 04:57 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Well aren't we lucky to have the national tint expert on our forum, welcome aboard.
lol....that made me laugh
Old 08-27-09, 10:12 PM
PHX-GS430
Driver School Candidate

Question Window Tinting

Hey everyone, this is PHX's wife. First off I would like to say thank you to everyone for welcoming us! I hope we can make one of the local meets to get to know you guys. I'm slowly dipping my feet into the forum and have been lurking over hubby's shoulder since we joined. I do have a question about window tint. I was wondering if it's better to take my car back to Lexus and let them do it or is there anyone you guys trust to do it. We live in the East Mesa area, so some where close is good. My main issue's are I don't want it to bubble or peel in the desert heat. Any recommendations are appreciated and thanks in advance!
Old 08-27-09, 10:19 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P&H Protection in Chandler.

http://www.phprotection.com/contact.html

You will want the thread moved to the Southwest sub-forum as it will get you more responses from fellow AZ members. But many of us know P&H very well, so others can definately vouch for P&H. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 08-27-09, 10:41 PM
99Aristo
Lead Lap

My best friend can do it, been tinting for 10-11 years and does a superb job, on the side, any darkness you want, complete windshield if you want.....crap, anything you want! And he's reasonable too. Call him at 480-225-3341 and tell him Wade sent ya, his name is Chris. And if you have a garage he can come to you....or he can do it in my garage in Chandler. He uses it sometimes since he lives in North Phoenix.
Old 08-28-09, 08:41 AM
SHiZNiLTi
Pole Position

http://abettertint.com/

^ Best prices in AZ for non ghetto tint that wont turn purple and bubble up like the $80 tint jobs available on Vanburan & 27th ave lol.

He uses Madico Film...
http://www.madico.com/

That's one of the same films that's used on the cars at Penske Auto Mall in North Scottsdale....

I know this because back in the day around 2003 during college I worked part time for Hugh Hernandez and Danny Hendon the owners of Danny's Family Car wash, Barcelona Club/Restaurant, Tinting Division, etc. They were contracted with the dealers at Penske Auto Mall. One of my roles was to manage the window tinters at the North Scottsdale locations, at the time we used Madico and Huper Optik Drea/Stark, the Huper tint is amazing, by far the best! We used that mostly at Schumacher Mercedes in North Scottsdale, but it's sold for $750-$1000 a job.

I had my car done at http://abettertint.com/ with Madico film about 9 months ago, still looks perfect, he did a great job on the dot matrix...

Old 08-28-09, 09:00 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 99Aristo
complete windshield if you want.
Not picking on 99, but if you don't want MAJOR attention from the po-po, don't tint the entire windshield. I have friends in law enforcement, and they are now talking about cracking down hard on front windows being tinted too dark in the greater Phoenix area. I can only imagine how much fun they'd make for you if you had the windshield done, too.

As for tint, the recommendations you've gotten are good, but I have no experience with them. I'd recommend Budget Window in Chandler, too. Can't hurt to get additional quotes for the job!

Big Mack
Old 08-28-09, 09:22 AM
SHiZNiLTi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Not picking on 99, but if you don't want MAJOR attention from the po-po, don't tint the entire windshield. I have friends in law enforcement, and they are now talking about cracking down hard on front windows being tinted too dark in the greater Phoenix area. I can only imagine how much fun they'd make for you if you had the windshield done, too.
Thanks for the heads up Big Mack, I'll keep an eye out when I'm on the freeways, hopefully it starts to cool down so I can roll around with my windows down like I usually do.

In my opinion PHX has been the most lenient state for dark window tint. Since 2002 I lived in AZ and I've had super dark tint. My previous vehicle I had Double 5% Limo on all the sides and the front windshield was tinted with 35% with a 5% visor 8" down and never recieved any tickets from 2002-2007 driving daily an average of 1.5hrs on the 202 and 101. M-F on my way to and from work I would pass by the police department on ViaLinda & 90st often passing right in front of a cop car leaving the station. No hassles ever, I've was even been pulled over for speeding on the 101 and my drivers side window motor was bad and couldn't roll down my window so as the cop was walking up to my vehicle I had to open the door with the double 5% tint on it, lol he didn't say a word about the tint, but still issued me a ticket.

Anyway to the original poster PHX-GS430, I'd get 20% on all the sides and rear. This will keep you out of trouble and still block out alot of the heat/sun. Whatever you do try to keep the tint all the same shade, doing 35% on front sides and 5% rear sides doesn't look good.
Old 08-28-09, 11:20 AM
jayr0422
Driver

Definitely go to a pro, dealerships just contract somebody to do it. Don't got to the cheapest people. This is something that you want on your car for the rest of it's life right? Do it right the first time and go to some place with alot of good reviews and repeat customers.
Old 08-28-09, 01:21 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack

As for tint, the recommendations you've gotten are good, but I have no experience with them. I'd recommend Budget Window in Chandler, too. Can't hurt to get additional quotes for the job!

Big Mack
i have my WHOLE windshield done in 50% so compared to how dark my other tint is they never even notice my windshield is tinted

Quick Reply: 2GS FAQ: Tint thread (add your tint pics and details here)