GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: what color of tint do you have?
black (other then 5%)
51.61%
black (5%)
38.71%
reflection kind of tint
9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

2GS FAQ: Tint thread (add your tint pics and details here)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 08:17 PM
Nyteryder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my 98 gs 400 with 35% on all the way around.
Name:  gs400carpics008.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  38.8 KB

And here is my 95 sc 400 with 5% all the way around.
Name:  sc400pic5.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  21.0 KB
Old 07-18-07, 06:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Huper Optik Ceramic tint film. 35% all around

Old 07-18-07, 12:11 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tint: 20% all the way around, excluding front windshield
Film: 3M
Name:  P1010230.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  55.8 KB
Name:  Dropped11Large.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  60.4 KB
Old 07-28-07, 10:41 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

15% on sides and rear.

and I wanted a pic like this before I tinted so I hope this will help someone.

15% is perfect. Dark enough yet bright enough to drive at night.

sorry for the crappy pics.
Old 07-28-07, 02:06 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats 15 percent all around?

doesnt look like it...nvm i think it was the angle...i think ima go 15 percent too
Old 07-28-07, 02:17 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DASHOCKER, your ride is looking nice... I have a long 2 part question for you and anyone else with ceramic tint experience...

I was ready to get my 2003 GS3 tinted last week and luckily, the tinter was nice enough to put a large piece of film on one of my windows just so I could get the idea of how it would look. I was in shock! The ceramic tint (Huper Optik) had a nasty purpleish color to it as soon as he put it on the window???!!! It looked exactly like when cheap dyed tint goes bad after a few years and turns that purpleish/blue color. WTF???!!! How is one of the the most expensive & supposedly best tints on the market going to give off such a nasty effect? Was it just my car? My type of glass? My interior? I then went to another reputable tinter (probably the oldest and best in Atlanta) and he was a Formula One dealer... he applied a piece to my glass as well and it gave off the same effect? Does anyone else with Huper or any other ceramic tint have this problem? Or maybe you guys don't see it as a problem?

The other problem I have is that when I was at the Formula One dealer, he asked me why I wanted ceramic in the first place. I said for the superior heat rejection. He said that ceramic having superior heat rejection is a BIG misconception. He actually tried to talk me out of getting the ceramic (400.00) and just to get regular tint (250.00) because I would only be wasting my money? The only benefit I would really get from the ceramic is that my AM stations would not be affected. He said that is why ceramic was introduced to the market in the first place for, when newer cars started to put the radio antennas on the glass - regular mettalic tint would interfere with AM signals. He said it was not brought to the market for superior heat rejection. I have no use for AM. He showed me the specs on the regular Formula One tint and the specs on the Formula One Ceramic and they were very close... (UV protection and heat rejection...) He then told me that good tint is good tint, whether ceramic or metallic... that why all the Formula One specs are so close...

Was Huper blwing smoke up my A$$ this entire time? I went to the Huper website and watched the demo with the meter measuring the heat rejection on the glass. They had me sold off of that!

So I am a little confused....

The regular metallic looks good. I just want a nice flat smoke look, none of that reflective business for me... help.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I have Huper Optik Ceramic tint film. 35% all around

Last edited by Chin; 07-28-07 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-28-07, 03:30 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chin
DASHOCKER, your ride is looking nice... I have a long 2 part question for you and anyone else with ceramic tint experience...

I was ready to get my 2003 GS3 tinted last week and luckily, the tinter was nice enough to put a large piece of film on one of my windows just so I could get the idea of how it would look. I was in shock! The ceramic tint (Huper Optik) had a nasty purpleish color to it as soon as he put it on the window???!!! It looked exactly like when cheap dyed tint goes bad after a few years and turns that purpleish/blue color. WTF???!!! How is one of the the most expensive & supposedly best tints on the market going to give off such a nasty effect? Was it just my car? My type of glass? My interior? I then went to another reputable tinter (probably the oldest and best in Atlanta) and he was a Formula One dealer... he applied a piece to my glass as well and it gave off the same effect? Does anyone else with Huper or any other ceramic tint have this problem? Or maybe you guys don't see it as a problem?

The other problem I have is that when I was at the Formula One dealer, he asked me why I wanted ceramic in the first place. I said for the superior heat rejection. He said that ceramic having superior heat rejection is a BIG misconception. He actually tried to talk me out of getting the ceramic (400.00) and just to get regular tint (250.00) because I would only be wasting my money? The only benefit I would really get from the ceramic is that my AM stations would not be affected. He said that is why ceramic was introduced to the market in the first place for, when newer cars started to put the radio antennas on the glass - regular mettalic tint would interfere with AM signals. He said it was not brought to the market for superior heat rejection. I have no use for AM. He showed me the specs on the regular Formula One tint and the specs on the Formula One Ceramic and they were very close... (UV protection and heat rejection...) He then told me that good tint is good tint, whether ceramic or metallic... that why all the Formula One specs are so close...

Was Huper blwing smoke up my A$$ this entire time? I went to the Huper website and watched the demo with the meter measuring the heat rejection on the glass. They had me sold off of that!

So I am a little confused....

The regular metallic looks good. I just want a nice flat smoke look, none of that reflective business for me... help.
Purple Hue? What % did the tint person place on your glass? Are you sure it was Huper Optik film? I did not notice a purple bluish color with mine. True ceramic film has a reflective property to it. When I had mine done, I noticed the film had a silver/bronze hue to it. On the car, you do not see this bronze/ silver hue. I went with this film because my cousin (who did my tint in 2000) told me that this was the best film on the market. The leather in my car is crack free, and still smells like leather after all these years. The film must really spare the interior from harmful u.v. rays, or its just me taking good care of my car. I wanted to go with a film that stands out from the rest, and considered the best. Huper Optik..

Here is Huper Optik on a BMW M5. You can see the reflective properties in the film. I believe this is Huper Optik's 30% film

http://www.m-powered.com/041001-tinting2.html

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 07-28-07 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-28-07, 03:41 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Don't get ceramic film confused with those mirror films that you see on some cars. That is not ceramic film. The reflective properties on the Huper Optik film are not as obvious as mirror tint.
Old 07-28-07, 04:38 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

It was definitely Huper Optik, the grade was definitely in the 30's, I know it has a slight reflective property, but not like mirror... but it was purple and reflective... oh well... If you have any closer up shots of you car, let me know... What color is you interior?
Old 07-28-07, 04:47 PM
LuxOut003
Driver

Name:  DSC04369.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  98.5 KB

35% all around except from windshield.
Old 08-30-07, 05:14 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

180 for all 6 windows, getting done 2morrow night
Old 08-30-07, 06:11 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$169 for 5% back windshield and rear windows, 20% front windows, leaving windshield alone.
Old 08-30-07, 06:18 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$200 for all four
Old 08-30-07, 09:05 AM
TonyO
Rookie

I dont know what percentage dark but I just got raped for $450 on mine. I had one layer of limo on all back windows plus another layer of solar guard for heat and UVA, UVB, and UVC protection for my interior. I need it in this hot AZ sun
Old 08-30-07, 09:43 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Default With GPS does it matter what tint you use?

I have GPS in my 2000 GS does it matter what tint is used?

I've read that metallic will interfer with the GPS system and it won't work - but is this true? Anyone with any real experience with this not just someone said that someone said that someone said ... that it wouldn't work.

If it can interfer with the GPS - what tint can be used so that there is not a problem here - please post. Thanks!

Scott

Quick Reply: 2GS FAQ: Tint thread (add your tint pics and details here)