GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New here, just sayin whats up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 10:39 PM
sixfiveoh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, just sayin whats up.

New on C-L, been on honda-tech for a while tho, so I know how the forums work.

Well, I'm gonna be looking into a GS in around 6 months ish, GS400 hopefully, I've heard that the V6 isnt enough engine to haul the car around. Just sayin whats up, gonna lurk the boards for a while till I make my purchase, gonna put a bit of cash away for a semester and put down as much as I can and then make payments. I really want to get back into a more luxury vehicle, my DA isn't cutting it. I used to own an Acura CL 5spd

Very basic mods. Tint, blackhoused headlights, grill off of a newer model, CAI, A'pexi exhaust, and Tein HA coilovers. Loved that car.

Buddy of mine ran into it when he wasn't looking where he was going Totaled it. Took the money insurance gave me, payed off some debt and hopped into a DA. Thought I was gonna build the thing up from the ground, all new suspension, B18c (type r) motor. The works.

Then I realized. It's a 16 year old Acura. Why dump all this money into it? I missed my leather heated seats, my woodgrain dash. I'm a luxury man. I've always had my eye on GSs, loved em since I can remember. I was just afraid to move away from the Honda world. Anyway, I think I've finally made my choice. Hoping to get one before summer.

If anyone wants to suggest a model over another, or things to look out for, or to look forward to, please share.

Old 11-28-06, 10:46 PM
YeShrug
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive been lurking and reading up for a few months now too. First things first. Budget will come into play. There aren't any V motors, just a straight 6. 4.0 V8 from 98-00. 01 the 4.0 gets punched out to a 4.3 and gains 25 lb ft.

Just like any other forum...start reading & searching, pretty much everything has already been asked. Coming from HT(which I havent been on in a few years), you tend not to put up with joe street racer when youre looking at a 15-35K+ car depending on your decision.

7+ months on CL led me to look for an 02-03 GS43 w/ navi. Good luck
Old 11-28-06, 10:50 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome man.

There are a few GS4's in the classifieds - for the most part - any GS on here that's for sale is most likely in great condition. Good luck.
Old 11-28-06, 11:03 PM
sixfiveoh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheAcclude
youre looking at a 15-35K+ car depending on your decision.
jeez, i was just noticing that the newer 430s are around 30k. Wow. My budget is probably more in the 20ish price range, or at least thats how much I would be willing to finance, around 15k after 5k down or so. I'm hoping I can find a 400 around that price. Oh well.

Let the research begin
Old 11-28-06, 11:10 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Welcome!

Originally Posted by sixfiveoh
New on C-L, been on honda-tech for a while tho, so I know how the forums work.

Well, I'm gonna be looking into a GS in around 6 months ish, GS400 hopefully, I've heard that the V6 isnt enough engine to haul the car around. Just sayin whats up, gonna lurk the boards for a while till I make my purchase, gonna put a bit of cash away for a semester and put down as much as I can and then make payments. I really want to get back into a more luxury vehicle, my DA isn't cutting it. I used to own an Acura CL 5spd

Very basic mods. Tint, blackhoused headlights, grill off of a newer model, CAI, A'pexi exhaust, and Tein HA coilovers. Loved that car.

Buddy of mine ran into it when he wasn't looking where he was going Totaled it. Took the money insurance gave me, payed off some debt and hopped into a DA. Thought I was gonna build the thing up from the ground, all new suspension, B18c (type r) motor. The works.

Then I realized. It's a 16 year old Acura. Why dump all this money into it? I missed my leather heated seats, my woodgrain dash. I'm a luxury man. I've always had my eye on GSs, loved em since I can remember. I was just afraid to move away from the Honda world. Anyway, I think I've finally made my choice. Hoping to get one before summer.

If anyone wants to suggest a model over another, or things to look out for, or to look forward to, please share.

Hey,
welcome to the CL family. Where are you in the 650? I'm in San Bruno.
You'll find what your looking for. Just be patient. And good luck with your purchase. Let us know when you find it and post a pic.
Sorry to hear about your car getting totalled by your friend. Is he still your friend?
-Will
Btw, you should be able to find a 98-2000 GS3 or GS4. It will have alot of miles on it. But as long as its well maintained it should not be a problem. And it will be within your buget. Now you have to decide how much power you want it to have right when you buy it. If you want 300 horses now. Get the GS4. But if your willing to go FI later on, then get the GS3.

Last edited by TAMR_GUS98; 11-28-06 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-28-06, 11:14 PM
sixfiveoh
Driver School Candidate

Hah, yeah we've gotten over it. Took a while, I was in love with that car.

I'm in San Mateo. Hey man, if you're local and want some shots of your ride, lemme know. I'm always down for shootin new cars, and I'd love to take a closer look at a GS.

Some of my shots are here.

http://www.nbhq.net/650photo/main.php

Your car looks beautiful, btw.
Old 11-29-06, 12:16 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Hah, yeah we've gotten over it. Took a while, I was in love with that car.

I'm in San Mateo. Hey man, if you're local and want some shots of your ride, lemme know. I'm always down for shootin new cars, and I'd love to take a closer look at a GS.

Some of my shots are here.

http://www.nbhq.net/650photo/main.php

Your car looks beautiful, btw.
Joseph,
Glad your over it and have patched things up with your friend. The GS would make you forget about your last love. He he!
Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a pro take pics of my car. San Mateo is not too far for me at all. I'd have to wash my car first though.
Would you be able to do rolling shots? Something I always wanted but could never accomplish on my own.
Checked out your work. Looks good. Amazing what the proper lighting can do for a picture.
Thanks for the complements on my car. Your more than welcome to see it in person. Where did you see it?, btw.
Old 11-29-06, 12:21 AM
sixfiveoh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
Joseph,
Glad your over it and have patched things up with your friend. The GS would make you forget about your last love. He he!
Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a pro take pics of my car. San Mateo is not too far for me at all. I'd have to wash my car first though.
Would you be able to do rolling shots? Something I always wanted but could never accomplish on my own.
Checked out your work. Looks good. Amazing what the proper lighting can do for a picture.
Thanks for the complements on my car. Your more than welcome to see it in person. Where did you see it?, btw.
Yeah, I need work on rolling shots, seems like it works for both of us, hah. I had such a strong like... emotional connection to that CL. I don't know why, it was my first nice "luxury" car. Hopefully the GS will fill in that empty spot I have

Thanks for the compliment, I just clicked on the link in your sig, your mod list along with a pic of your car in front of the Golden Gate
Old 11-29-06, 12:31 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I need work on rolling shots, seems like it works for both of us, hah. I had such a strong like... emotional connection to that CL. I don't know why, it was my first nice "luxury" car. Hopefully the GS will fill in that empty spot I have

Thanks for the compliment, I just clicked on the link in your sig, your mod list along with a pic of your car in front of the Golden Gate

I have no problems helping you hone your skills with the rolling shots. You just say when and we'll set something up. LOL. I'll PM you my cell #.

I figured thats what it was after my last post here. The link to my mod list and a rear shot of my car was just below it. I have more pics of the car in my gallery. Feel free to look in there if you want.
Old 11-29-06, 12:44 AM
sixfiveoh
Driver School Candidate

looks good.

I thought it was black from that rear shot, thats a nice green. I look forward to doing a shoot. I PMed you back, lemme know what your schedule is like
Old 11-29-06, 06:21 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Welcome to CL and good luck in your search for the GS. It's good to see you're hooking up with a fellow member to assist you. Not wanting to be pointing fingers and down talking other vehicles through my personal experiences, all I'm going to say is IMO dollar for dollar and long time ownership Lexus is the only way to go.
Old 11-29-06, 06:35 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELCOME sixfiveoh
Old 11-30-06, 12:02 AM
sixfiveoh
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys
Old 11-30-06, 12:40 AM
AKY
Rookie

can't go wrong the the GS, i've got the GS400, you can find em within your budget, just gotta keep looking, and don't settle for any less than you want.

I used to own a 97 turbo Prelude back in the day, so switching to the GS was a step in a new direction for me, but I never looked back
Old 11-30-06, 04:58 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome. .........