GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Would you sell your GS430 for a Caddy CTS-V(400 hp 6 speed)?

Old 11-23-06, 05:21 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by talalhz
I OWNED A CTS-V for 1 year and half, if any one has any Question abou the car, eMail me. IT IS THE WORST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED, FOLLOWED BY THE WORST SERVICE EXPERINCES (went to all Cadillac Dealers in San Diego for help) of my life.
Nothing worked, and what worked broke down !
what probs? I've heard the rear diff and diff bushings are troublesome.
Old 11-25-06, 11:01 AM
rcyo1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
CtS-V over a Gs430.. CTS-V hands down imo. If you are a driving enthusiast and want performance out of the box without spending 10 of thousands to make a car that way, then this is your ride. Had the pleasure of driving this car, and ohh what fun it is. 6 speed, V8 rumble with the thunder, tight handeling, Vette performance. Just beware of the early versions with the last generation Vette zo6 motor. Some had differential problems. Other than that, a killer car. Who is keeping there car for 20 years anyway?? I buy cars to drive them. Get it!
actually, i am going to keep my car for 20 years or more, until it gets totaled in an accident. the GS4 is paid off, runs perfect at 171k, aristo twin turbo vvt-i motor swap...... going to happen soon!!!! cts-v or vette has no chance no need to trade it in. the problem comes when you want to sell or trade in the cts-v. honestly, the reliability and resale value on domestic cars is close to nothing.
Old 11-27-06, 12:38 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

My brother has 2005 CTS-V and that thin KILLS gas. It's not even funny.
Plan on blowing $300+ a month on gas alone. Seriously
Old 11-27-06, 12:54 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Methodical
My brother has 2005 CTS-V and that thin KILLS gas. It's not even funny.
Plan on blowing $300+ a month on gas alone. Seriously
He either has a very heavy foot or there is something wrong with that car.

Most people will tell you the LS1 and LS2 V8s are incredibly fuel efficient when you consider their displacement and power output.

I mean Corvette guys w/ LS2 V8s and 6-speed manuals routinely get over 30mpg on the highway. The CTS-V is obviously going to be a bit less since it's heavier and not as aerodynamic, but still shouldn't be bad from what I've seen.
Old 11-27-06, 01:29 PM
fhumphrey04
Driver

Originally Posted by rcyo1
actually, i am going to keep my car for 20 years or more, until it gets totaled in an accident. the GS4 is paid off, runs perfect at 171k, aristo twin turbo vvt-i motor swap...... going to happen soon!!!! cts-v or vette has no chance no need to trade it in. the problem comes when you want to sell or trade in the cts-v. honestly, the reliability and resale value on domestic cars is close to nothing.
Unless you are going to be modding your tt engine, they will still beat you. The LS_ series motors are among the least expensive engines to modify that show HUGE gains. You could do BPU and still get beat by a full bolt on CTS-V. Dont under estimate those cars.

CTS-Vs actually have pretty decent resale value. You will get close to 35k on an 04 if you trade it in at a dealership, which is just about what most cars in that price range will get. Reliability is debatable, rear diff issues have been common with them, but GM had a recall for a part about a year ago that solved the issue.

Even if they are not the most reliable, parts are very inexpensive and they are somewhat easy to work on, unlike most lexus cars.
Old 11-27-06, 03:36 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

As much as I love almost every option on the CTS-V, I would never give up my Lexus for one. They are two different beasts, but for driveability and reliability the Lexus wins hands down and for performance the CTS-V wins hands down. The CTS motor is pretty darn awesome, but the rest of the car seems to lack quality. In my opinion, the ultimate setup would be the new Z06 LS7'6 speed swapped into a GS4 with full bolt-ons. That would be sick! Nearing on 600hp all motor and stick would be pretty unstoppable. Who's going to be the first to go that route?
Old 11-27-06, 04:00 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
Man, a 400hp NA 6 speed sedan sure does sound tempting. Plus from what I've heard, there are many LS motor bolt on options so 12 and even 11 second quarter mile times are fairly easily obtainable. I love my car, but I'm craving something sportier with more hp...
It does sound tempting...I've been somewhat captivated by the adds. Then I let the logical left-side of my brain do the thinking and what I figure after reading reviews and looking at pics is that the Caddy is just flashy. Just like the H2...yes I call it a GM not a Hummer (the later is an insult to American General). Sure the HP is there but not "quality" or "man this is what I call style".

Chuck...You've been here for sometime and I know your heart is with Lexus (Toyota) like the rest of us diehards. Go get in an 07 GS460 after a sit in the Caddy...I'm sure you realize your only drawn to numbers...like us all.

And for those who think the GS is not sporty...I have to disagree 100%. Yes the GS is aged, but still with just a few add-ons it's an adrenaline rush. I love using my Tiptronic to hold gears close to readline and then click and accelerate around wannabees.
Old 11-27-06, 04:19 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BoostAddct
As much as I love almost every option on the CTS-V, I would never give up my Lexus for one. They are two different beasts, but for driveability and reliability the Lexus wins hands down and for performance the CTS-V wins hands down. The CTS motor is pretty darn awesome, but the rest of the car seems to lack quality. In my opinion, the ultimate setup would be the new Z06 LS7'6 speed swapped into a GS4 with full bolt-ons. That would be sick! Nearing on 600hp all motor and stick would be pretty unstoppable. Who's going to be the first to go that route?
If you want the LS7 in a well-crafted quality package, the all new CTS-V coming out late next year has a very good chance of hitting your mark. It'd outperform a GS4 with the same setup due to being quite a bit lighter, almost certainly be more reliable (heavily modded cars just tend to have issues - lexus or not) and, well, if you'd plan to use a new GS for that project I imagine the CTS-V would cost tens of thousands less if not a full half the cost of that project.
Old 11-27-06, 06:08 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

my new plan is keep the gs and find a 98-02 LS1 6 speed manual camaro for beatings.

I've honsetly hated the look of camaros all my life, but lately the LS1/6 sp has blinded me.
Old 11-27-06, 08:20 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

my new plan is keep the gs and find a 98-02 LS1 6 speed manual camaro for beatings.

I've honsetly hated the look of camaros all my life, but lately the LS1/6 sp has blinded me.
wow chuck i have been thinking about this as well but iam thinking 03-04 cobra supercharged 6 speed big brakes front and rear recaro suade and leather seats 18" wheels and 400HP !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-06, 08:17 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BoostAddct
Hehe sounds like a logistical nightmare..tranny, diff, yikes.
Old 01-23-13, 10:52 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

hey e, yeah I had an 85 5.0 notch 5 speed. they are a couple hundred lbs lighter and much better looking than the hatchbacks..
Notches better looking, yes.

Notches a couple hundred lbs lighter than a comparably equiped hatch, no.

You can expect 50-75lbs at the most.
Old 01-23-13, 11:12 PM
chevyon28z
Rookie

I have 2012 cts (not v)...I'm not impressed at all..I rather drive low n dodge potholes in nyc
Old 01-23-13, 11:24 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

wow 7 year bump.....
Old 01-23-13, 11:33 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Oops, did a search and didn't even notice how old this thread was.

I would take the 2GS in every category except the LS6/T56 combo. That's hard to beat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you sell your GS430 for a Caddy CTS-V(400 hp 6 speed)?