GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

List all of the significant problems you've had with your GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-06, 04:59 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default List all of the significant problems you've had with your GS

I'm trying to figure out what my friend should watch for as his milage goes up - the common problems and stuff.

Please list your model year, GS3 or 4, the mileage you bought it at, the mileage you have it now, and all the problems you've experienced while owning it.

I do NOT mean like a sunroof rattle or a rock chipped windshield or problems with aftermarket modifications. I mean what stock parts on your GS have let you down, and at what mileage did they do so?

My 99 GS400:
-Headlights accumulating moisture at 35k miles... both replaced, hasn't happened again
-Waterpump found to be leaking at 38k miles, replaced under warranty, had the timing belt changed too since they were already in there.
-Car had the low idle stall issue where if I had the A/C off in the summer heat and 'blipped' the throttle off idle, the idle wouldn't recover properly on rare occasions and the motor would have to be restarted. They replaced the the charcoal canister on the fuel system at about 50k miles and didn't have the issue again
-At 85k miles the starter is becoming inconsistent in starting. Lexus wants a thousand bucks to replace it.
-At 85k miles the speakers are crackling - think it might be the Nakamichi amp.
- At 89k miles the power window switches on the drivers side seem to have broken. They're still functional but they have absolutely no resistance anymore... they just 'flop' around and thus feel crappy, plus the auto up and down no longer works.
- At 105k miles the steering wheel no longer moves... it's stuck in the most inward position (closest to the dash) at about a mid level height. Long ago I asked the dealer if there was a way to disable the steering wheel from going in and out every time I put the key in and took it out since it really didn't help me get in any easier and I was afraid it was going to break, but they said there was no way to do that and they didn't think I had anything to worry about anyway... lol Well they were right, I didn't, but my friend did.
-Some point around 100k miles the suspension started creeking. This could be just sway bar bushings needing to be greased since I used to have an aftermarket sway bar. The suspension in general isn't that impressive anymore either... the car doesn't ride nearly as smoothly or vault-like as it used to.

He's currently at about 120k miles and this is everything I can remember that's gone wrong with the car. He bought it from me at about 70k miles which was just before I made this post in 2006.

I sure hope I've had worse luck than others and that this 'luck' won't continue this way for my friend who isn' exactly made of money and bought the car from me because he knew I took care of it and because he thought it'd be reliable.

Last edited by Threxx; 03-25-09 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 06:59 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Door locks going out Other then that NOTHING, runs like a champ!
Old 10-18-06, 06:59 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Steering Rack @ ~40K miles.

I attribute that to the mods and the way I drive the car. Nothing else significant.

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 10-18-06 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 07:25 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Steering Rack @ ~40K miles.

I attribute that to the mods and the way I drive the car. Nothing else significant.
Hmm... how much did that cost to replace w/ parts and labor? Or if you did the labor yourself how long did it take and what skill level?
Old 10-18-06, 09:33 PM
dcentric
Driver

My powersteering rack was bad at 58K miles. Cost me 1100 to replace.
Old 10-18-06, 09:40 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

door actuators are killing me right now. I have 3 doors that the actuators are faulty, with one new actuator to install...leaving me 2 front door actuatos to have to order (and at approx $200 each ) That's good mod money being wasted on actuators
Old 10-18-06, 10:21 PM
LexFather

GOtta continue to fight pigeons and goldiggas off the car....lol....
Make sure the previous owner MAINTAINED the car, oil changes, maintenances, etc
Old 10-19-06, 01:26 AM
my666gs4
Rookie

mine has 150xxx miles on it and it runs ( well ran perfect) untill i wrecked it lol but it will be back and better than b4
Old 10-19-06, 03:05 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

bought my GS400 with 126k miles.

-Starter died 2 weeks after I bought it
-Right now the steering is very loose. The steering wheel is straight, but the wheels wanders left and right so I have to fight the steering.
-Transmission jerks after driving for about 5 minutes (fluid drain/refil every oil change)
-slight engine vibration at idle when in park, but could be due to many other things.
Old 10-19-06, 05:37 AM
skeet94
Driver

Balljoints - which are deemed standard maintenance on these cars...and then the mechanic messed up installing the balljoints so yanked a ABS cable and had to have that replaced.

Tires - Again maintenance and neglegence in getting an alignment done.

Apart from that everything runs perfect! (touchwood).
Old 10-19-06, 06:11 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

'01 430, purchased in July '05 with 33k, currently 50k. No repairs needed to date. I do have the moisture in the headlights issue, but not severe enough to justify the replacement cost.
Old 10-19-06, 07:37 AM
overboost
Rookie

has anyone tried resealing the lights? know where the moisture is coming in?

99 GS300 with 110 on the ODO right now, had it since saturday and so far it just cost me 1 full tank of gas

I dont forsee any problems, rides, drives, shifts very smoothly
Old 10-19-06, 10:54 AM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

Bought my GS3 new in 2000. Only problem ever was I had to replace o2 sensor. 42k miles on the car.
Old 10-19-06, 10:59 AM
thanhvu
Pole Position

my car gs3 is at 89,000 and im getting moisture in my headlights and for some reason my car hesitates when i gas it..starting slow then gas is ok but if i gas it halfway it hesitates then goes....still trying figure out the problem...other than that..its running great...
Old 10-19-06, 02:19 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

i have a 2001 gs300 bought it in 2003 with 45k now has 83k and haven't had any problems with it except for my driver side hid... but other than that it is the best car i have ever owned

Quick Reply: List all of the significant problems you've had with your GS