GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

strange rear thumping noise in 98 gs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 09:49 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange rear thumping noise in 98 gs

car is a 98 gs400
I notice a clunk, thump noise in the rear area compartment. Sounds like its coming from the rear deck. Sounds like my spare tire is loose or my jack but it is NOT. Everything has been removed from rear trunk area but noise is still there. This happens when I'm going over bumps and especially driveways on a 45 degree angle (uneven grounds on one side of car)
Please help!!
Old 10-18-06, 07:21 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Who did you run over Bill? They could still be under the car Perhaps you need to have your suspension components re-torqued.
Old 10-18-06, 10:04 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Who did you run over Bill? They could still be under the car Perhaps you need to have your suspension components re-torqued.
Did you forget to take the dead body out of the trunk?

Like what dashocker said-suspension components.
I did remember reading that a bad shock can give you the clunking sound. Check sway bars too.
For the front, that infamous clunk is the ball joint.
Old 10-18-06, 08:08 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sput, I have the EXACT same problem. And I've done all the tests you have done as well, completely emptied the trunk, and I'm still getting the clunk over dips and bumps....and it's gotten worse over the last 6 weeks.

So enough is enough, I'm having it diagnosed next week. I'll let you know what mine was...I just hope they can find it. My hunch is that it's a bad bushing or shock in the rear.
Old 10-18-06, 08:23 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Sput, I have the EXACT same problem. And I've done all the tests you have done as well, completely emptied the trunk, and I'm still getting the clunk over dips and bumps....and it's gotten worse over the last 6 weeks.

So enough is enough, I'm having it diagnosed next week. I'll let you know what mine was...I just hope they can find it. My hunch is that it's a bad bushing or shock in the rear.
I seriously hope its something simple. Embarrassing to have a Lexus and a sound like this.
KevinGS: Thanks for chiming in. Just another reason to love this forum.
Please do keep me posted. .
Old 10-19-06, 01:11 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
I seriously hope its something simple. Embarrassing to have a Lexus and a sound like this.
KevinGS: Thanks for chiming in. Just another reason to love this forum.
Please do keep me posted. .
I'm taking it in on Monday...so I'll keep you posted on what they find.

Do you have an aftermarket suspension? How about an aftermarket exhaust? I have the Tein CS and the Daizen Sways. And I have a Tanabe exhaust.

My hunch though is that it's a bad bushing or something in the suspension itself, I doubt it's the Teins...because I would imagine others would maybe have this same problem over time. My noise is certainly underneath the car, not up near the rear deck (as you mentioned). We might have different clunks. LOL

My clunking can be quite loud, especially if I hit a bump when going around a turn. Most bumps cause it to happen though, and most dips too...but if I go slow I can avoid the clunk. Like if I sloooowly creep over a speed bump, it won't happen. Driveways at any angle don't cause mine to clunk since I'm already going real slow....it's mostly bumps and dips that cause it at speeds above about 25-30 mph, where the car swings back on the rear shocks, and then CLUNK! But since small bumps cause it to clunk too, I know it's not the shock bottoming out. Hmmmm... We checked the exhaust, and it SEEMS that this is not the culprit (though we probably should have just removed the Tanabe exhaust just to be SURE, but we didn't). We did empty the entire trunk, including spare...still clunked.

So now it's officially a mystery. But it's gotta be something in the suspension, or maybe the oversized exhaust (doubtful). There's a teeny chance it's my L-Sportline rear bumper, but that's even more doubtful since it seems to be well installed with no movement.

Anyway, PM me if you haven't heard anything by Wednesday. I'll be busy next week so I may not remember to report the news in this thread...

Last edited by KevinGS; 10-19-06 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-19-06, 08:55 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

KevinGS, since you mentioned teins cs with daizen sways, I've been getting the clicking/clunking sound over the bumps and dips in the front and was noticeable after the daizen sways installed.

I had everything tightened up: sways, struts, checked out all suspension components...
The only thing that seemed loose and had some play were the dinky endlinks.

I might have that changed out since my car is at about 140k miles.

Sput's problem is in the rear though, again check for the struts.