GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY climate control LED

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 07:38 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good start, it does look a little bright but that could be due to the camera. Is the unit turned off, I couldn't see any display information.
Old 09-05-06, 07:43 AM
DruMnBaSS
Lead Lap

no ,... it sthe crappy phone cam...

the LCD is set to be ON by OEM standards however, if i would have wired the LEDS into that power source, it seems that it put out less power then the rest fo the bulbs, so the only difference is that ... all climate control lights are off untill the running lights are turned on....(except the LEDS indicating AC on, source of air, dual. Etc. which are always on) this can be the correct way but i suspect a dimmer center LCD backlight.

to avoid confusion.. the LCD works as it should all the time displaying its info... im jus talking about the back light.

using the dimmer all the way down.. its still pretty bright.. its a really nice white tho, most of the time i drive around staring at how cool it looks. lol

witht he dimmer all the way up... it really almost lights up the inside of the car!
Old 09-05-06, 07:48 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DruMnBaSS
no ,... it sthe crappy phone cam...

the LCD is set to be ON by OEM standards however, if i would have wired the LEDS into that power source, it seems that it put out less power then the rest fo the bulbs, so the only difference is that ... all climate control lights are off untill the running lights are turned on....(except the LEDS indicating AC on, source of air, dual. Etc. which are always on) this can be the correct way but i suspect a dimmer center LCD backlight.

to avoid confusion.. the LCD works as it should all the time displaying its info... im jus talking about the back light.

using the dimmer all the way down.. its still pretty bright.. its a really nice white tho, most of the time i drive around staring at how cool it looks. lol

witht he dimmer all the way up... it really almost lights up the inside of the car!
are you going to do the radio next ??
Old 09-05-06, 08:11 AM
DruMnBaSS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
are you going to do the radio next ??
only cuz its you
Old 03-01-07, 01:33 PM
minla007
Pole Position

hello,

i know this post is old, but a few buttons on my ac cluster have a burnt out bulb. I would like to replace hte burnt ones, but I don't know how to take out the ac cluster.

hte previous owner of my car changed the lights from green to white just like you have, but i am not sure if he used LED or just regular bulbs.

it seems like quite a bit of work to change out these bulbs. would it be more difficult to keep regular bulbs instead of LED?

thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-07, 05:43 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DruMnBaSS
only cuz its you

Did you ever get around to doing the radio? I have what appears to be a dark spot on the drivers side of my radio. I'm thinking about going this route if someone else has done it and has been successful.
Old 01-13-08, 01:48 PM
natedahms
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just used this to fix my burnt out lights. i used green LED's. the 3 lights for the LCD weren't burnt out so i didnt change them. I just soddered the LED's in there. some of the buttons are brighter than others tho. it still looks better than it did.
Old 03-04-08, 04:48 AM
samster
Pole Position

lol. I've never took out my radio to check because some people say its the LCD faceplate, and now some of u guys say its bulbs? i always thought of it to be bulbs or LED's but i never wanted to dissasemble my units and then going out to hunt for bulbs and LED's. I could solder the LED's etc but if it's bulbs i rather jsut replace them and have a nice clean stock look?

now if its bulbs or LED's can anyone just tell me the sizes i need -=) so i could buy them first then take everything out and replace since u guys gone thru it already? thanks
Old 03-25-08, 10:36 PM
samster
Pole Position

what size resistors and LEDs did u use if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-26-08, 06:12 AM
Dslexic
Driver

& Jesus said "Let there be light"
Old 03-26-08, 09:12 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-26-08, 09:41 AM
samster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by minla007
hello,

i know this post is old, but a few buttons on my ac cluster have a burnt out bulb. I would like to replace hte burnt ones, but I don't know how to take out the ac cluster.

hte previous owner of my car changed the lights from green to white just like you have, but i am not sure if he used LED or just regular bulbs.

it seems like quite a bit of work to change out these bulbs. would it be more difficult to keep regular bulbs instead of LED?

thanks in advance.

an LED will put out a brighter lumen light which is more purer in white color, a reg bulb without the Green rubber condoms would be givin out a halogen yellowish tint. If u don't even know how to remove ur climate control and radio form your car, i suggest you don't even attemp to remove it just live with the burnt out light, and even if you remove them from the car you'd have to crack them open and desolider the orignal bulbs and resolider new ones. I've cracked mine open and just placed an order on White L.E.D. now i just have to find my multimeter to know what is the correct size resisnator to apply.
Old 04-09-08, 09:08 PM
samster
Pole Position

radio, climate controls in white and also shifter, the heated seats, and vcs buttons. Took the pics with my blackberry but finally got it done -=) and sharings caring so here are some pics
Old 04-09-08, 09:25 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

what did u use samster?
Old 04-09-08, 11:24 PM
samster
Pole Position

white LEDs. Climate controls easy, radio...................... kicked my *** for a moment,
it was really hard to place the face plate with the buttons back on in working order.
gonna do all the window switches, door locks, and key ring later today.
Then mabe i'd get some clearer pics with a cam

also removed the orange reverse and green neutrel on the shifter plate,
thats for the people that thought it looked differnt and couldn't figgure it out-=]

Last edited by samster; 04-09-08 at 11:44 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY climate control LED