GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Vibration solved -- busted tire belt

Old 08-24-06, 09:02 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Vibration solved -- busted tire belt

Hey guys. This isn't a huge deal, but I thought I would post about it just in case someone else is dealing with the same issue. Maybe this will help.

Over the course of the last few months, I've noticed a vibration while driving. A few months back, it started out as a cyclical "whomph, whomph, whomph" noise at relatively low speeds (like 10-15 mph), but then would go away at higher speeds. Lately, however, I've been noticing it pretty much at all speeds, and it's been most noticeable on the highway. Also, the vibration/noise has gotten worse. For about the last week, as I'm driving on the highway, it feels as if I'm being tailed by a helicopter in the distance. I knew something wasn't right.

I went into Lexus today, thinking that maybe I lost a weight and one of my rims was simply out of balance. Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky. My tech called me over as soon as he put my car up on the lift. Apparently, I broke a steel belt on my left front tire. Basically, there's a pretty large bulge in the tread. The bulge is about 1/2 inch higher than the rest of the tread and runs along the inner tread for about 6 inches or so. The area is soft and can be easily pressed in with your index finger. Needless to say, the tire is done and needs to be replaced.

I called Tire Rack and they told me that my situation is not all that uncommon. They explained that a broken belt is usually the result of an impact. Sometimes the impact simply weakens the area and it slowly detiorates over time until it simply gives way (which would explain why the noise got progressively worse over the last few months). The scary thing is that I had the kids in the car yesterday and this tire could've blown at any time.

Lesson to be learned -- listen to your car and don't put off having something checked out. If it doesn't sound or feel right, most likely, it's not.

e
Old 08-24-06, 10:24 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info.. glad u got it solved!
Old 08-25-06, 03:21 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

E-Man, I am too having the same symptoms as you. My car is making whoo whoo noise at about 20mph and up. Especially on the highway. I first thought it was the alignment because I had installed a L-Tuned S/S. After having the alignment checked and adjusted and the front tires rebalanced, mechanic figured that I go to Lexus dealer and have the wheel bearings checked. At $700.00 to replace I was not looking forward to it. Well, the service advisor showed that my tires was extremely worn on the edges and the worn threads was causing the excessive noise. All I need now is new tires. I going to wait until I send the wheels to be refurbished, possibly chromed and puchase some new Generals. I am so happy it wasn't the wheel bearings.
Old 08-25-06, 02:23 PM
e-man
Pole Position

UPDATE -- happy ending

No, it's not that kind of happy ending, but it's still pretty good.

While talking to Brandon this morning and ordering a new tire, he suggested that I call Bridgestone corporate to see whether the bad tire might be covered under warranty. I called, and the corporate office referred me to one of their corporate-owned stores near my house. I went there this afternoon, and the manager took one look at the tire and told me that I'd be getting a new one, free of charge, including mounting, balancing and placing it on the car, first thing tomorrow morning. How's that for standing behind your product?

Hey Nate. Are you still running those tires? That doesn't sound safe.

e

Last edited by e-man; 08-25-06 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-25-06, 02:27 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
UPDATE -- happy ending

No, get your mind out of the gutter, it's not that kind of happy ending, but it's still pretty good.

While talking to Brandon this morning and ordering a new tire, he suggested that I call Bridgestone corporate to see whether the bad tire might be covered under warranty. I called, and the corporate office referred me to one of their corporate-owned stores near my house. I went there this afternoon, and the manager took one look at the tire and told me that I'd be getting a new one, free of charge, including mounting, balancing and placing it on the car, first thing tomorrow morning. How's that for standing behind your product?

e
Sweet. Im glad the kids werent in the car. I know I would definitely be worried if my little one was in the car and the tire blew out.
Old 08-25-06, 02:47 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
UPDATE -- happy ending

No, it's not that kind of happy ending, but it's still pretty good.

e
I am getting them replaced once I get the rims back from the shop. They are okay, it's just the constant noise. The alignment was off and the first 2" of the inside of the tire is down to about 30% tread while the rest of the tire is still at 80%. Really weird. Hopefully the alignment will take care of that problem.
Old 08-26-06, 11:38 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Got the new tire today. As promised, no charge. Well, not really . . .
Attached Thumbnails Vibration solved -- busted tire belt-dscn6536-resized-.jpg