GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help diagnose car not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 01:31 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnose car not starting

My car (98 GS 300) would not start today. When i try to start the car, all i get is a series of clicking noises. Sorta sounds like an electric lighter, but louder. All electronics(radio, lights, and windows roll down) work.

Since the radio and etc. work, can i rule out that it is not the battery? If it is the starter, is it easy to replace( bolt on and off)?

I did try to research, but after reading several threads, i didn't find anyone with the same condition.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-06, 01:44 PM
blkvader
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that was happening to me like 3 weeks ago but it was my battery, this is my second battery in a year and a half
Old 08-24-06, 01:54 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't rule out the battery. It might very likely be it.
Old 08-24-06, 02:10 PM
rra640
Driver

I would guess the battery or you have a loose connection on the battery.
Old 08-24-06, 02:32 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steps.

Can you start the car by jumping?

Are both cables tight?

Start car - remove battery cables - does car die? If so look at alternator.

Or else just bring the thing to Autozone and let them check your battery for you!!

Jonny
Old 08-24-06, 02:40 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Steps.

Can you start the car by jumping?

Are both cables tight?

Start car - remove battery cables - does car die? If so look at alternator.

Or else just bring the thing to Autozone and let them check your battery for you!!

Jonny
Yep - I was going to say the same thing - are the battery cables tight??

I have a 98 GS3 as well and I had some corrosion on my battery clamps. My dad's 98 GS4 had the same issue last week. both times it was due to corrosion.
Old 08-24-06, 11:29 PM
bighenet
Rookie

trust me dats not your battery. if it was the baterry would die instantly, you wouldnt have no ligths what so ever.
i bet when you put the key in and turn it you ear one click, your stater is not turning over, if it was the battery there wouldn be no click.
Old 08-25-06, 04:57 AM
adale
Rookie

Not trying to be the "know-it-all", I think a couple of things need addressed.
First, do not start the car and remove the battery cables unless you really want to see the power of electricity. Your alternator will become a bomb very fast if you do this, not to mention your computers will puke! Secondly, it is probably the battery. Simple math is that it takes about 10 amps to have your lights on and a few more to have your radio on. When you turn the key to start it, you draw well over 100 amps or more depending on the temp and other things. You might have a bad neg or pos battery cable or as another posted, a loose connection on your battery or starter. If you want to see if your battery is good or bad, put a volt meter on the battery and see what the voltage is with everything off, then turn on your lights see if the voltage drops more than a couple of tenths. Try to start it and see where the voltage goes. You have to test the battery with a real load on it not just a little one.
Old 08-25-06, 05:02 AM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bighenet
trust me dats not your battery. if it was the baterry would die instantly, you wouldnt have no ligths what so ever.
i bet when you put the key in and turn it you ear one click, your stater is not turning over, if it was the battery there wouldn be no click.

I'm glad youre not my mechanic.

If could be and probably is your battery. It takes alot of juice for the battery to turn your engine, so the battery might still have plenty of juice to work the lights, windows, etc., but not enough to crank the starter.
Old 08-25-06, 05:40 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

The battery is definitely low on voltage. Why? The charging system needs to be tested and checked to answer that. It's probably just a battery issue, dead cells or something, but there is a remote chance the alternator is not putting out enough to keep everything as it should be.
Old 08-25-06, 06:33 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As stated above most auto parts stores will check the battery or alternator for free. But the way I always check it is this.

1: Jump start the car. If it doesnt start, check the starter.

2: Jump start the car. If it runs fine untill you shut it off, then it wont start when you go to start it back up, check the battery. The car will run off of the alternator once it is started but the battery wont hold a charge after shut down.

3: Jump start the car. If it runs okay for a while but it dies while running, check the alternator. The car will run for a while off the battery alone but it will run it out and shut down.

Oh yeah, Im a newbie to this site. But trust me not a newbie to cars or Lexus.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 08-25-06, 07:10 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to go with the battery also. The rapid clicking your hearing is the solenoid in the starter trying to engage, there is enough power for the magnetic solenoid to energize and pull in but when the connection is made to spin the starter the battery becomes so drained that the solenoid releases. Once the load of turning the starter is released there is enough poser to energize the solenoid again, hence your repeted clicking.

Start with a fresh battery and then have the electrical system perfoemance tested to see if the battery is faulty or if there was something else to aid in the batteries demise.

Hope this helps.

-Bill
Old 08-25-06, 11:45 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all the help guys!

It was the battery. I forgot to mention that i was still using my oem battery. That sucker lasted 8 years and 2 months! I kinda hated to see it go after lasting this long.

I took the battery out and let autozone do tests on it. The battery didn't even have enough juice to do the test. So i had to leave my battery there for them to charge it and then test it. Came back an hour later when the battery was charged and it failed the test. I have just finished installing the new battery and the car starts like a champ!
Old 08-27-06, 05:39 PM
Lyrical
Lead Lap

Very informative thread here.....

I went to go remote start my car today, and all it'd do is click...I was like WTF!!!!!!!! I'm having the exact same problem. Car is a 99 GS3.

I popped the hood and saw some corrosion on the battery. I'm going to try to get rid of it, if not i'm going to take it out and take it to autozone.

Lucky i found this thread. Glad i'm apart of this forum. Its so informative haha!
Old 08-27-06, 06:38 PM
AristoPra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lyrical
Very informative thread here.....

I went to go remote start my car today, and all it'd do is click...I was like WTF!!!!!!!! I'm having the exact same problem. Car is a 99 GS3.

I popped the hood and saw some corrosion on the battery. I'm going to try to get rid of it, if not i'm going to take it out and take it to autozone.

Lucky i found this thread. Glad i'm apart of this forum. Its so informative haha!
This is so crazy! I logged on to look for info regarding my car starting problem and I saw this thread. Thanks to everyone who gave their input and experiences. Well time to diagnose what's causing my start problem. Thanks again fellas!

Quick Reply: Help diagnose car not starting