GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Pictures of my GS400 at the track for Lexus day

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 11:05 AM
Bentley1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of my GS400 at the track for Lexus day

I posted a couple weeks ago regarding some questions I had before I took my GS400 to the track. I appreciate all the advice and encouragement, and promised to take pictures of the event. I had an absolute blast!!!!

The track is brand new, and is located out by the Bonneville Salt flats. I was extremely impressed with the size and quality of the track. You should all make the treck out to race your GS on the track!

Anyway, I have some pictures below, along with a description underneath.

Enjoy!

Here we are lined up on the pit lane, waiting to go out. They had us follow the new Larry Miller race edition mustang around the track. There were probably 10 Lexus vehicles there, most of which were dealer cars. I definitely had the fastest, hottest car out there (well, the Mustang was probably faster, but definitely NOT hotter!)

Side shot of the cars lined up on pit lane before heading out.

From here, you head out towards the end of the lane, and then make a left to enter the track, which sits to the left of the cement wall. Funny thing- while I was standing there, this guy comes up and starts checking out the GS. He's like "how do I get a turn on this one. It looks like the fast one?" He was pretty surprised when I told him it was my own car, and not for anyone else to drive. I guess he thought it was a new dealer Lexus, LOL.

Fans can actually stand along the cement barrier to the left, to get a close view of the finish line. More on that later.

This was a fun turn, as were most of the turns on the track. I left traction control on, power mode on, and switched to E-shift manual mode. The car handled extremely tight. I didn't feel it slip at all, and I was pretty aggressive through some of the turns. I ended up passing a couple of the new ES's, as well as an RX (why they would have an RX on the track, is beyond me).

Here's yours truly heading in to a right turn.

This is the final turn, heading towards the finish line. This stupid RX was going slow and hogging the entire track for a couple of laps, so I made my move here, and ended up passing it on the straight away where you see the white car up ahead. The small crowd that was gathered in the stands and along the track seemed to enjoy a little excitement.

Well, it was an extremely fun day. I went away from there with a renewed appreciation in my GS400. It can basically do what you want it to do, and do it well. After tearing it up on the track, I immediately pulled off the track, out on the highway, and went out to dinner with my Wife. How many cars can do that, and look good fitting in everywhere?
Old 07-30-06, 11:21 AM
mostrogt
Pole Position

It's easy to see you had a fun day. The pics look awesome. I bet you had a blast. The rush feeling has to be incredible.

Maybe something similar can be done here in Florida. (Josh are you picking up on this?????)

Of what I know there may be a couple of options: Homestead Track or in Sebring.

This has to be one exciting event for you. I wish something like this in Florida can be done.

Congrats.
Old 07-30-06, 12:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm soooo jealous of you right now. I wish I had a track day where its only me and my buddies to race. i rather get embarassed in front of my friends than a crowd of spectators

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 07-30-06, 12:11 PM
pakiblaze
Driver School Candidate

Wow! Great pics.

and the answer to your question, not many.
Old 07-30-06, 01:21 PM
PlatGS400
Driver

Thanks for posting the pics and glad to hear you had a great time.
Old 07-30-06, 01:22 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow...looks like a lot of fun. It must be cool to just open up the GS like that!!! How fast did you go on the straights?? (I dont think I saw it in your post).
Old 07-30-06, 01:54 PM
Bentley1
Driver

Originally Posted by markgs4
wow...looks like a lot of fun. It must be cool to just open up the GS like that!!! How fast did you go on the straights?? (I dont think I saw it in your post).
They had us following a pace car, and like I mentioned- there were some slow ES300's, and an RX out there sort of clogging things up. I remember hitting 70 or 75 MPH at one point. I think their oval nascar type track is more for top speed kind of stuff. This track was more about the curves back and forth at relatively fast speeds for curves. I've noticed when I take curves in the city at fast speeds, that traction control kicks in. Must be slick from oil and other grime on the city streets. On the contrary, the track allowed me to pretty much rip the corners at high speeds, and there was no loss of power, no traction control turning on, and no slipping at all. The tires really gripped the track well.

Here's an ariel view of the track, so you can get an idea of what the turns were like.

Old 07-30-06, 01:57 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Great pics!!!! I'm sure it was a day never to be forgotten. You have one heck of serious gaze in that one pic. I'm surprised helmuts weren't required, even with signing a waiver.
Old 07-30-06, 02:14 PM
Bentley1
Driver

Originally Posted by GWELEX
Great pics!!!! I'm sure it was a day never to be forgotten. You have one heck of serious gaze in that one pic. I'm surprised helmuts weren't required, even with signing a waiver.
Yeah, it was one of those experiences that was fun as hell, but at the sime time- sort of dangerous, and required total concentration (thus the stink-eye expression on my face). I have E-shift, and so I found it pretty easy to stay off the brakes as compared to the other people out there. It is sort of scary to come up on a corner fast, and all of a sudden you notice some guy in an ES300 putting on the brakes. I really didn't want to hit anyone (or get hit), or slide in to the wall on the last turn.

I did figure out a trick for staying in your seat when going through corners fast. Ever notice that black foot pedal on the left side in your GS? If you push down on that when headed in to corners, it pushes your lower back in to the seat, and keeps you from sliding around in your seat.

No helmuts were required, unless you wanted to ride with an instructor in the pace car.
Old 07-30-06, 02:34 PM
HGill
Pole Position

Great pics, check out the local forum for upcoming meets and local pics.
Old 07-30-06, 02:36 PM
TYPEII
Racer

Hey is that the New Larry H. Miller track? Been wanting to head out there with my CRX... Looks like to had alot of fun...
Old 07-30-06, 02:50 PM
mostrogt
Pole Position

BTW, What tires do you have mounted on your stoct 17's? Just asking by what you said that you had a good grip on the track....
Old 07-30-06, 03:19 PM
Bentley1
Driver

Originally Posted by TYPEII
Hey is that the New Larry H. Miller track? Been wanting to head out there with my CRX... Looks like to had alot of fun...
Yes, it is. Head out there. You'll be glad you did.
Old 07-30-06, 03:22 PM
Bentley1
Driver

Originally Posted by mostrogt
BTW, What tires do you have mounted on your stoct 17's? Just asking by what you said that you had a good grip on the track....
I'm running Toyo Proxes-4 Z-rated. I've always been a Michelin fan, but I recently switched to Toyo, and I'm even happier. They're a Japanese brand, so it doesn't surprise me. Good grip, quiet, long lasting so far, fair price.
Old 07-30-06, 03:54 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Pictures of my GS400 at the track for Lexus day