GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Taking the GS400 to the race track for a Lexus dealer sponsored event

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 09:46 PM
Bentley1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the GS400 to the race track for a Lexus dealer sponsored event

Larry Miller, who owns Larry Miller Lexus and the Utah Jazz recently opened a motorsports park. It's a pretty big deal, and they put it out by the Bonneville salt flats. Anyway, they sent me an invitation to come to a Lexus day at the track, in which they will allow me to either drive my own GS400 on the race track, or ride with an instructor. They also provide lunch, and give tickets to watch some sort of motorcycle race after. I'm nothing special... I'm probably on a list of those that just spent over a certain amount of money at the dealership!

I've got some pics below of the track, with a link to their site.

My GS400 is stock, but extremely well maintained, with only 60K miles on the ticker. I'm running brand new Toyo Z-rated tires, and I DO have E-shift.

I'm sure this will be a light hearted, fun event- but I'm wondering if I need to do anything in preparation if I plan to drive my own GS on the track?

Any tips or tricks you guys can offer to a first time track driver?

"THE RACE TRACK

The road course is a 4.5 mile long, 40-50 foot wide, 24-turn layout that provides a variety of cornering speeds, from 50 mph to well over 100 mph. The fastest cars and motorcycles will approach 200 miles per hour on the track's 50 foot wide, 3500 foot main straight.

The course has four possible configurations. The 2.24 mile East course is a highly technical challenge suited to lower-powered, better-handling cars and motorcycles, while the 2.2 mile West course is fitting for higher-powered, larger cars and motorcycles.

The East course has as many as seven major overtaking areas, and 14 corners, including the three-turn esses, which have significant elevation changes. The feature corner on the East course is the final turn, a 50 foot-wide, 9º banked sweeper that leads onto the main straight. It is designed to create last-minute overtaking challenges before the race to the finish line.

The West course is notable for a sequence of three very fast (100 mph+) corners which lead to the heaviest-braking and slowest corner on the track, turn W5, whose 45 foot-wide entrance encourages overtaking. The rest of the West course features several multiple-radius and complex corners designed to challenge drivers' skills.

Miller Motorsports Park's longest configuration, the Full course, has a character completely different from either of the two shorter layouts. In this 4.5 mile configuration, speeds will be extremely high both at the end of the long main straight and through the daunting sequence of turns that comprise the first elements of the East side of the course, where cornering speeds will approach 150 mph.

A fourth configuration, the 3.06 Outer course, eliminates the entire infield section and promises to be one of the fastest track layouts in North America.

While the track is basically flat, Miller Motorsports Park 's designers have incorporated several significant elevation changes in order to add character, challenge, and unparalleled sightlines for spectators.

The combination of potential layouts, each with its own distinct characteristics, enables Miller Motorsports Park to provide challenges for drivers and riders of all skill levels while simultaneously providing spectators exceptional race action. "

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/index.cfm

Last edited by Bentley1; 07-20-06 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-20-06, 10:28 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you lucky dog!!!

That's an awesome looking track!
Old 07-21-06, 03:59 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That track looks amazing. Have fun bro
Old 07-21-06, 04:58 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a great time. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say you will have to take pictures of the whole event.
Old 07-21-06, 06:13 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Drive it like you stole it and keep the greasy side down Without spending cash on serious handling mods, perhaps drop a pound or two of air from each tire and have your brakes inspected. Unload any un-neccessary stuff, spare tire etc. Get a helmut, I'm sure they won't let you run without one. Finally, have a ball, it's all about having fun and becoming "ONE" with your car.
Old 07-21-06, 06:21 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

That looks like it will be a lot of fun! Drive safe!
Old 07-21-06, 07:39 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

That looks liek something I would enjoy to the fullest, you are one lucky guy! I would strip the car, take out all the seats except the driver, of course, remove all junk from the trunk, and most deffinately check your brakes!! Enjoy. Oh and dont forget to take pics, lots of them!!!!
Old 07-21-06, 07:43 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats! you are soo lucky!
Old 07-21-06, 07:47 AM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

DAmmmmmN i am there ............ if it wasnt so far from me....... Arg!
Old 07-21-06, 07:48 AM
xirforever
Lead Lap

wow im so jelous!!!!

Some tips, make sure all your fluids are somewhat new. Pay SPECIAL attention to your brake fluid, i would replace it before i went to the track, brake fade is not your friend. Next make sure your brake pads have at least 70% left, im sure they will inspect your car at the track for this anyway. But if i were you id buy some performance pads just for this event and make sure you drive on them for a little bit before the event. You shouldnt really worry about anything else except like someone else mentioned, make sure you have nothing loose in your car. and......

HAVE FUN, although im sure i dont have to tell you to do that part

EDIT: i forgot to mention, when your at the track and you get back from a run, please do not forget to NOT set your ebrake (incase this is a habbit for you), its a good way to mess up your rotors.
Old 07-22-06, 02:36 PM
Bentley1
Driver

Thanks for the encouragement, and the tips guys. I'll re-pay you by taking and posting plenty of pics.

Sounds like one of the main things I need to do, is to make sure my brakes are in order, so that's on my list for this week.
Old 07-22-06, 02:43 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That track looks amazing. I should be a incredible experience being able to open up your car no such a open track like that.
Old 07-27-06, 07:03 PM
Bentley1
Driver

The day is almost here (Saturday), and now I've got a couple more questions:

Should I turn traction control off, or leave it on? I hate that feeling when the car starts to spin a bit, and then it suddenly loses power when the VSC kicks on... but- I would probably hate spinning off the track even more...

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when I take off in front of everybody, is it customary to do a burn out, or should I just play like the rookie I am, and take off at a normal speed?
Old 07-27-06, 08:24 PM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bentley1

Any tips or tricks you guys can offer to a first time track driver?
[/URL]
Drive it like you stole it!
Old 07-28-06, 08:41 AM
Flufferiou
Lead Lap

Lucky