GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

All Chrome ( DIY ) Grille** 4 your GS**

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 11:59 AM
sicc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GATO! your the best! Im going to do this mod today!
Old 07-20-06, 12:39 PM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DIY grille!

Gato, it turned out nice and was quick and easy! Now that's what I'm talking about!
Old 07-20-06, 01:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I just tried this. For some reason, the stripper only takes off the top layer of the paint. I had to use a screw driver to take off the paint, but it was no good because the screw driver tip isn't going to cover a whole lot of area. I sprayed and let it sit from 3 minutes to 10 minutes, and had the same result

Looking at your grill closer, it seems like the 98-00 is different than the 01-05 slightly. maybe the paint is different too, who knows. Now my grill looks bad Time to buy another spray can to paint it the original color. lol.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 07-20-06, 01:49 PM
suprropmp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
I just tried this. For some reason, the stripper only takes off the top layer of the paint. I had to use a screw driver to take off the paint, but it was no good because the screw driver tip isn't going to cover a whole lot of area. I sprayed and let it sit from 3 minutes to 10 minutes, and had the same result

Looking at your grill closer, it seems like the 98-00 is different than the 01-05 slightly. maybe the paint is different too, who knows. Now my grill looks bad Time to buy another spray can to paint it the original color. lol.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

damn, that sucks... I need to get a 01+ grille
Old 07-20-06, 01:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I did use a dremel with the brush head and got the paint off. I wish I had done that before hand as it would have same me so much more time. I'm gonna have to buy another can of the stripper and redo the grill. 25% complete

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Old 07-20-06, 05:44 PM
GS4Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Nice, i'll be doing that to my 2000 grille... probably won't look as nice but still sweet with all the chrome...
Old 07-20-06, 06:00 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Nice job.......................
Old 07-20-06, 08:29 PM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

Nice! That looks so damn nice. I will be trying this, this weekend. Thanks man. I am assuming the grille is easy to take off. I haven't even looked under there yet.
Old 07-20-06, 08:43 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
very nice.

just keep in mind, once you spray on the paint stripper, wait a little and the black paint will come off. HOWEVER, don't want too long, take out the black and wipe it clean. if you want long enough, it will happily eat throught the chrome as well!
rominl is right, this is very powerfull stuff and I do believe it would love to eat the chrome if you leave it on too long...........it ate through my bathroom countertop

Lexbox, how are you? next will definitley be mounting the wheels and suspension. among other small mods,like, raingaurds,tails,chrome door caps

GWELEX,yours looks great as well. I was gonna do just bars....but I love the way the all chrome looks.
Old 07-20-06, 08:46 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-20-06, 08:47 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I did use a dremel with the brush head and got the paint off. I wish I had done that before hand as it would have same me so much more time. I'm gonna have to buy another can of the stripper and redo the grill. 25% complete

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

sorry you are having such a hard time.......I wonder if they are diffrent

post pics when ur done.

Thanks everyone else for comments
Old 07-20-06, 09:59 PM
PlatGS400
Driver

Well I just got done trying it on my 00 grill and had the same problem as you. I was wondering if a dremel would have worked.....now I know it will. Now I just gotta get my hands on a dremel.
Old 07-20-06, 10:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GATO
rominl is right, this is very powerfull stuff and I do believe it would love to eat the chrome if you leave it on too long...........it ate through my bathroom countertop

Lexbox, how are you? next will definitley be mounting the wheels and suspension. among other small mods,like, raingaurds,tails,chrome door caps

GWELEX,yours looks great as well. I was gonna do just bars....but I love the way the all chrome looks.
ouch, sorry to hear that man, but yeah, those stuff are poweful

and btw, 98-00 grilles are the SAME in terms of the pint over chrome. my was a 98 grille. i put on paint stripper and in 1-2 mins the paint came off already
Old 07-21-06, 06:40 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PlatGS400
Well I just got done trying it on my 00 grill and had the same problem as you. I was wondering if a dremel would have worked.....now I know it will. Now I just gotta get my hands on a dremel.
On my '01 I used the Gel stuff and Q-Tips as mentioned in the 1st DIY for a chrome grill. It wasn't on there but a couple of minutes and the paint was bubbling off. The entire process including removing and installing the grill didn't take 1/2 an hour. I considered doing the entire grill but thought it might be too much. After seeing Gato's, it looks pretty darn good, I may finish it out. Not sure why some have problems, maybe not leaving the paint remover on long enough or perhaps there are 2 different black finishes.
Old 07-21-06, 08:25 AM
2ya
Driver School Candidate

well ima try this today on my 99, hopefully it comes out good and not have problems like everybody else

Quick Reply: All Chrome ( DIY ) Grille** 4 your GS**