GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Water dribbling into the cabin

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 08:02 AM
jwkchoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water dribbling into the cabin

Dear fellows,

I recently face a rather "headache" problems with my 98' GS 300. I found that half of the cabin (at the passenger side) slowly soaked with water beneath the factory carpet. The driver side is completely dried however.

Initially, I guess it might be due to water accidentally splashed into the cabin when I cleaned my car. Therefore, I dried it out completely, but about one month later, the same problem comes again.

Another differential diagnosis I could think of is problems related to the airconditioner. I therefore sent my car to my garage for detailed inspection. He took out all the carpet, started the engine and air-conditioner and observed if anythings happened. However, its already 2 weeks now, he still couldn't see any water dribbling into the cabin from the system. The "air-condtioned" water also drained out of the car very satisfactorily. He had also carefully inspected the water drainage system beneath the front screen and around the moon-roof to see if there are any blockage, nothing suspicious could be found.

My car had been carefully taken care all along and absolutely free from accident. Unfortunately, I haven't gone back to the dealer for inspection after expiration of the warranity.

Would you guys kindly enlighten me what may happen with my lexus? Many Many Thanks

regards,
Johnny Choi
Old 06-22-06, 08:53 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know but here is a possiblilty. Here we sometimes see cars with air boxes that crack over time. Water mey flow out of the drain what looks like normal, but there may be some leaking intot the cabin area too. I have replaced air boxes and have removed and sealed boxes before. Both labor intense jobs.

I hope this helps you.
Old 06-22-06, 08:58 AM
jwkchoi
Driver School Candidate

Many Thanks Wdpower,

But...can you tell me what is air-box? Could it be readily seen after removing the console?
Thank you

Johnny
Old 06-22-06, 09:05 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

This may be a stupid suggestion but.......maybe the heater core??? I know on some older cars that I have owned when that goes, it leaks into the cabin. I'm sure you would smell anti-freeze if it was.
Old 06-22-06, 09:07 AM
jwkchoi
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Dear AZDesert GS,

I guess it may not be my problem. Anyway, thank you for your help

Johnny
Old 06-22-06, 10:26 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

The air-box is the housing that contains the evaporator and the heater core, air is directed in and out to your vents. The a/c drain you see dripping out side comes off of this box.

The only thing is most times I hear concerns is about water leaking on both sides, drivers and passengers. The techs usualy tell me they can see it dripping.

Bill
Old 06-22-06, 01:17 PM
916gs300
Driver School Candidate

I think your ac drainage hose might be clog, thats the hose under your car and water drips when the ac is on. My friend had the same problem and I lifted the car, and put a air nozzle and blew air in their, and all of the water came out.
Old 06-22-06, 01:25 PM
Tranman

Could it possibly be the body plugs underneath the car? Apparently they are some underneath the driver and passenger side. It's been stated they are the cause of wind noise if they fell out, but I would assume if you were to hit a large puddle or something, water would be able to enter.
Old 06-22-06, 04:49 PM
jwkchoi
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys!! But the most curiose things is that water only soked in one side, that is the passenger side only. It there is really crack in the air box, I guess there may be some water seen at the other side
Old 06-22-06, 05:22 PM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re:

Hey,

I had the exact same problem on my driver's side at 77K miles. After practically taking the car apart , the diagnosis was that my heater core was cracked. The dealership had to take out the entire front dash. And they didn't put it back together as flush as did the factory, so I've had speaks and rattles all throughout the front dash down to the center console ever since. Any slight jar in the road and the dash squeaks. I don't want to ruin your day, but the fix cost me $1,975.00. And that is after I got the dealer to pay half of the part. Sorry for my to being so negative, but I'm just telling you what to look out for.

Originally Posted by jwkchoi
Thank you guys!! But the most curiose things is that water only soked in one side, that is the passenger side only. It there is really crack in the air box, I guess there may be some water seen at the other side
Old 06-23-06, 07:43 AM
jwkchoi
Driver School Candidate

Thank you AUGuy21, sad to hear your experiences...and I also worry about mine. But, did you hear any method that can reduce the noises?

Just one more question for Wdpower. Could you tell me which part of your airbox found to have crack. Is it at the bottom or somewhere else? My garage man tell me today that he found some rust in a screw near the bottom of the airconditioner. He guesses the problem may be at that area. As you correctly pointed out, detaching the console is a very labour-intensive job, he just try to figure out if there is a better way that he could remove as few things as possible.

Any suggestion?

Many thanks again

Johnny
Old 06-23-06, 09:11 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jwkchoi
As you correctly pointed out, detaching the console is a very labour-intensive job, he just try to figure out if there is a better way that he could remove as few things as possible.
Johnny,

All of my techs are telling me that the only and best way to guarantee a propper fix is to remove the box. I myself have not seen the leak on one and hope never to, I drive a GS. But from what they tell me the leak is in the case seam, it needs to be opened, cleaned, and resealed.

Bill
Old 06-23-06, 09:23 AM
jwkchoi
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Bill. Your advices should be very helpful to me and my garage man.