GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

LED lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 02:43 PM
bighenet
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED lights

can any one help me with LED lights installation.
can i just put them in my car.

lexus gs 400
Old 04-22-06, 02:46 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

What LED lights are you talking about? Sidemarkers, blinkers, brakelights??
Old 04-22-06, 03:04 PM
bighenet
Rookie

i mean interior lights.
the bulb is look like this.
Attached Images  

Last edited by bighenet; 04-22-06 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-22-06, 03:27 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

hey - i'm doin' interior LED's as well in addition to some other LED's like my reverse light and parking lights.. check out - www.luxurymods.com - click GS then go to lighting
good luck
Old 04-22-06, 03:52 PM
nicola
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bighenet
i mean interior lights.
the bulb is look like this.
that's not a bulb, its a diode. you need a resistor for it to work on your 12 - ~14v car. i believe 510ohm will be fine. don't hook them directly into a power source without a resistor or you'll be picking pieces of plastic 'glass' out of your eye ***** and skin.

it sounds like you have never worked with led's and obviously can't use google (there are thousands of pages on diy projects with led's and car lighting). i recommend you just buy the specific bulb you need (194 etc) made from led's. ebay has a ton.
Old 04-22-06, 04:50 PM
bighenet
Rookie

listen nicola, or what ever you call your self, i search it. and i didn't find nothig. scince you are so smart why you just dont give me a link.
Old 04-22-06, 04:52 PM
nicola
Driver

listen nicola, or what ever you call your self, i search it. and i didn't find nothig. scince you are so smart why you just dont give me a link.
wow. good luck. don't land yourself a darwin award.

and -

(Google'd 'LED Basics') -
http://led.linear1.org/

Darwin Award -
http://www.darwinawards.com/

Last edited by nicola; 04-22-06 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-22-06, 04:54 PM
bighenet
Rookie

Angry

i dont need any thing from you ,so get off my post.
Old 04-22-06, 05:00 PM
nicola
Driver

i dont need any thing from you ,so get off my post.
listen man, if you're going to be nasty like this, you're probably going to get your posts locked. read up and you'll see why i gave you that advice. you could damage your car's electrical system with the lack of knowledge you showed about these 'bulbs'. there are a lot of nice guys on here who will help a new guy out with a search, but if you're not going to put the effort in, on a very basic level, to search google, why should anyone hand-feed you the answers when all you had to do was do a search?
Old 04-22-06, 05:37 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey oscar the grouch you will probably have better luck in the Lighting Forum....
Old 04-22-06, 06:34 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I'll try to break the negativity pattern

Anyways, the easiest way is to buy a completed LED bulb that is completed. That way, you just basically unplug the original bulb and plug in the new bulb. These usually run about $10 for two prebuilt LED bulbs. Swapping out all the bulbs will take you about 30-45mins at most.

With what you have there. Thats just the LED diode itself. How many pieces do you have? To swap out all the interiror lights using that is a LOT of work. Also, you will need about 5-8 LED pieces per light fixture in the car. If you were to replace all of them....I believe theres about 12 of them. So you are looking at about 60-80LED's. You will need some basic soldering skills and knowledge in how to calculate the resistance needed to wire the LED's up to the car as not to blow out the LEDs. Most LED's operate about 3volts, the car's electrical system is 12V, but you will also have to factor in power spikes and running voltage which is about 14.4V. You will probably also need to splice into the original wiring, solder new wires onto it, and probably drill some holes in the housing. A rough estimate to do the whole project using individual LEDs will take you at least a good 5-6hours if you are good with soldering and working on electronics.

I guess how much time and resources you want to spend into it is your choice.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-06, 06:46 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

bighenet: Take a deep breath and relax. We are all family here and will do what we can to help you out. When asking for help, please give us as much info on the car and parts as you can. Limited info will yield limited answers..

We have a lighting forum here on CL. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting-128/ You will be able to find all sorts of info regarding LED bulbs for our cars. That would be a good first start. If you are looking for a specific answer, try searching our forums here. There is a huge amount of info.

Good luck with your install.
Old 04-22-06, 07:13 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=JeffTsai]Well, I'll try to break the negativity pattern

Anyways, the easiest way is to buy a completed LED bulb that is completed. That way, you just basically unplug the original bulb and plug in the new bulb. These usually run about $10 for two prebuilt LED bulbs. Swapping out all the bulbs will take you about 30-45mins at most.

Jeff, how do you know all of this?? lol This is def the guy to look for if you ever have any lighting problem lol
Old 04-22-06, 10:03 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by garbage85
Jeff, how do you know all of this?? lol This is def the guy to look for if you ever have any lighting problem lol
I kind of have an obsession with lighting....lol. All of my friends think I'm nuts. I'm about to upgrade my high beams to HID as well. I'll be driving down the street with 6 HID's barrleing down

Of course, I only do that when nobody else is in front of me though. I'm sure six HID's will blind people for sure...lol. I can light up highway signs about half a mile down right now with my current quad-HID setup
Old 04-22-06, 10:48 PM
DPedini
Driver School Candidate

can any one help me with LED lights installation.
can i just put them in my car.

lexus gs 400
I have been working on a LED kit using Lexus Factory items designed for the 2006 GS300/430 the first parts I ordered just came in yesterday ( Well Friday) I was going to try and have a plug and play kit for the driver and passager side footwell... then have a setup that installes where the homelink system is ( along with the the home link.)

I will try to keep you posted on whats going on with this project...

DP

Quick Reply: LED lights