GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

windshield replacements?

Old 04-21-06, 02:32 PM
kendre
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield replacements?

I have a crack in my windshield, and I want to be able to replace it with another Toyota/Lexus windshield if I can. Is that possible? Or is it rediculously expensive? Those friggin' windshield companies are so shady and they seem to replace with really cheap windshields that crack really easily.

Any help would be great! Haven't been here in a few months.

Kendra
'99 GS 400 white/tan
Old 04-21-06, 03:11 PM
GS42NV
Pole Position

yea of course its possible.

i just called my local Lexus dealership (Keyes in Van Nuys, CA) .... and they said the cost of the windshield is $689.66, plus $39.62 for the molding, NOT including installation fees (mind you that the Lexus rep was kind enough to tell me that this does come with a 1-year warranty again any possible product defects).

I guess you gotta find out how much an aftermarket windshield will cost to see if its worth it from the dealership or not.
Old 04-21-06, 03:52 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kendre
I have a crack in my windshield, and I want to be able to replace it with another Toyota/Lexus windshield if I can. Is that possible? Or is it rediculously expensive? Those friggin' windshield companies are so shady and they seem to replace with really cheap windshields that crack really easily.

Any help would be great! Haven't been here in a few months.

Kendra
'99 GS 400 white/tan
Well since we both live in AZ....Don't you have free glass coverage with your insurance??? I am getting mine replaced tomorrow from my friend who installs for Action Glass. If you need a good installer I can get you in touch with him. I'm getting a PPG windshield which is a good quality windshield. I could care less if its a Lexus windshield cause I go through a windshield a year.
Old 04-21-06, 04:07 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Call your agent and see what your insurance covers. My policy (State Farm) has full glass coverage as well. Ask your agent if they use genuine OEM parts or if they can order them. If so, ask if there is a price difference and it they'll pick up the tab.

Alex - do you live on the board? You're in the CL matrix.
Old 04-21-06, 04:18 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I'm on and off all day......sitting at my desk praying for 5:00. The benefits of having other people work for me and make my paycheck..
Old 04-21-06, 04:19 PM
kendre
Rookie

Default AZDesertGS

Thanks. I would like to get in touch with your guy. I have full glass coverage but my husband has had his windshield (Avalanche) replaced three times since we moved to AZ two years ago and they have all seemed crappy, which is why I'm afraid of going through my ins. But if you have a recommendation on a good windshield (PPG?) that's great, because I don't know a damn thing about windshields!

-Kendra
Old 04-21-06, 04:21 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

(off topic)

Kendra - Any mods to the GS?

Zach
Old 04-21-06, 04:22 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kendre
Thanks. I would like to get in touch with your guy. I have full glass coverage but my husband has had his windshield (Avalanche) replaced three times since we moved to AZ two years ago and they have all seemed crappy, which is why I'm afraid of going through my ins. But if you have a recommendation on a good windshield (PPG?) that's great, because I don't know a damn thing about windshields!

-Kendra

What makes the windshield crappy??? Are you getting windnoise??? Out here....rocks and windshields are going to happen all the time. Doesnt matter what kind of windshield you have....there gonna get rock chips. PM sent with his name and number
Old 04-21-06, 04:24 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
I'm on and off all day......sitting at my desk praying for 5:00. The benefits of having other people work for me and make my paycheck..
lucky.

Forgot to inquire - will these new windshields for the GS work with the rear view mirror as well? Just making sure we all get the right windshield.
Old 04-21-06, 04:35 PM
kendre
Rookie

Default Mods

Oh yeah, just a few. Tinted windows, (Think it's 20% all around, but can't remember).

- 20x8.5 falken 5 spoke wheels (don't remember the "name" of the wheels either)
- Nitto tires (had Pirelli's, but for some reason they were creating a lot of vibration with the wheels, so had to switch them out)
- L-tuned shocks and springs
- DIY chromed grill
- clear side markers

That's all! I don't think I'll do much more. I like it simple and clean. I thought about replacing the tail lights but honestly I like the look of the '99 tail lights better. I think if I had to do it all over again I would have gone with 19" wheels though, the ride is annoyingly rough. I still have my stock chrome 16's, but I guess I live with the bumps because the ride looks sexier this way!

I'll have to post some new pics. I had some pics of my car in the gallery (which are probably still there somewhere) when I had these HORRIBLE looking wheels on and before I lowered the suspension, but haven't posted any since I changed them out.

-Kendra
Old 04-21-06, 04:43 PM
kendre
Rookie

Default ew found pics

Found some of my pics. They're in the GS gallery if you sort by member and look up my name. I guess there are some pics of my GS in there with the 5 spokes, but it was before I lowered it and before I put the clear side markers on.

The only other thing I actually would LOVE to do would be to put a body kit on this thing, but I tend to think that body kids don't always look that great on white GSs. If I had a silver GS (which is my FAV color) I would definitely put a body kit on it. Plus I don't know if I want to spend that much money on a body kit. I think in AZ with all the pot holes and rocks I'd ruin the body kit in a week!

-Kendra
Old 04-21-06, 05:04 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kendre,

Just to make sure your shocks and springs were setup correctly- did you cut your bump stops? I had the eibach / bilstein setup and the shop didn't cut the bump stops when they installed my suspension- this resulted in a REALLY rough ride. Zach (ka 4Grainr) can vouch for how harsh it was and he can also vouch for how smooth it rides after the bump stops are cut since he bought my suspension when I went to the Tein CS setup.

As far as the body kit stuff- I have the TTE lip and I think it makes the car look so much better. It's silver too.

When I sell it - I'll let ya know.
Old 04-21-06, 05:04 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Wow. That's a tight fit in the garage!

My guess is either north Scottsdale/Anthem or Ahwatukee. Not too many hills around the Valley. Props on the ride. I'm also a fan of the "clean" look. I'm trying to get that same effect on my '99 GS black/black.

I've heard from others that the 20s have a rough ride. I'm curious as to how much of that is rim size/weight/etc versus tire brand/model.
Old 04-21-06, 06:35 PM
kendre
Rookie

Default Bump stops?

Eh? Sorry, but I guess I can be a "stupid girl" sometimes. I have NO IDEA whether they cut the bump stops or not! I don't even know what they ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes. My guess is they didn't? I wouldn't be surprised. I might have to meet up with you guys and find out whether my bump stops were cut or not.

As for my location: not North Scottsdale/Anthem Or awhatukee. I live in the secret gem of Northeast Mesa, just east of Red Mountain. It's GORGEOUS up here. And in the summer time, I'm only 10 minutes away from River tubing festivities!

-Kendra
Old 04-21-06, 06:41 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you should be able to demand your insurance uses an oem windshield & molding. that's what I did and I have free windshield replacement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: windshield replacements?