GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

got my alignment today and they used ES3 data to do my alignment....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 05:36 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my alignment today and they used ES3 data to do my alignment....

last year i got my alignment done and they told me everything was within spec. they said since your caster is slighty off (but within spec) you will notice a pull to the right. so basically i will always have to hold onto the steering wheel or it will drift to the right.

yesterday i hit a nasty hole in teh ground yesterday and it knocked my alignment out of spec. since yesterday i would have to drive my wheel slightly cocked to the left to drive straight.

today after alignment: notice the dumbarse who did my alignment used ES300 data to do it... i drove off and did not realize until i pulled out my last years alignment sheet and compared.

after a lil more driving i noticed my steering wheel is still cocked to the left. went back and u know what they told me ur front left inner tire is worn out which is causing it to the drift to the right. they said if u let go of ur steering wheel and ur steering wheel proceeds to stay in the correct position BUT pulls to the right (which it is) its b/c of the uneven tire wear. the same store last year told me that my car was drifting to teh right because of the caster.

so a question for the wise: i notice on my alignment sheet that my front left is negative cambering .9 degrees is that even significant enough for my tire to wear out that fast? my front right is -.39 degrees and the tire looks perfectly even

Last edited by joshoowa; 04-19-06 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-19-06, 06:00 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to find new shop to do your Alignment once again
Old 04-19-06, 07:29 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I do alignments on my RX300 very often given where I live, Mexico City, and that I like to haul my little RX up to the track every weekend.

That being said, having that camber might results in some issues. I know my convergence is usually the thing off every other week and it needs to get corrected and that the caster is off from week to week, too.

I rarely have an issue with my camber. However, recently, I took my friend's wife's Murano AWD over for alignment as she was complaining one of her front tire was taking a lot more wear than the other tires. I cannot remember the exact number offhand but the right camber was in single digits compared to the left side. We had to do some adjustments by checking all of the bolts and suspension connected to that side. Eventually, with enough checking and tighenting, we got it fixed.
Old 04-20-06, 05:50 AM
speedie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Josh...You need to take your car back and get the alignment re-done with the correct specs for your car..I had a similar incident where a tech aligned my car to the specs of an LS430 instead of a GS430 and then he tried to make me believe that the car's suspensions were identical.....I told him if he wanted the $65 for aligning my car he was going to do it right and do it right now....Nonetheless he did the alignment again and just as I thought after taking the readings using the correct specs ALL 4 WHEELS WERE OUT OF SPEC!!!....You gotta remember that the alignment machine is calibrating your car based on manufactur specs which are different for each vehicle, so for him to have adjusted your car to the specs of an ES300..then I bet all four of your wheels are out of spec...
Old 04-20-06, 06:19 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have gone to places where they screwed up my alignment, so I can speak from experience, find a new place to have your alignment done. They wont admit when they screwed up and its just a PITA. I have a place now that does a great job and the guys there are real professional and take care of my car, and every car they do
Old 04-20-06, 07:03 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The car should track straight when the steering wheel is centered.