GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What GS inspired you to buy or build your current GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 09:52 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What inspired?

I was inspired to get my GS by a lot of things. My brother had an SC430 that I thought was cool. I had gotten my dream job and was feeling pretty good about things. I had been driving a Sunbird for about 12 years and I live in a town where everybody drives a BMW or a Fully loaded F350 King Ranch. So, I started out looking at LS400/430s but thought that was too much of an old guy's car. I looked at IS300s, but they were even more pricy than the used LS's I was looking at. The GS was the best value price-wise and the more I learned about the car, the more I liked it. I also remembered how I liked the old "Something wicked this way comes," ads. I found a GS400 that I love and want to drive for the next ten years. I'd love to do some mods, but the car is so good it doesn't really need anything, and the roads are so bad here that lowering and stiff suspension is just not an option.
Attached Thumbnails What GS inspired you to buy or build your current GS?-lexus-in-the-grass2.jpg  
Old 06-01-12, 05:45 AM
1slowsc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BIG TY imo I couldnt find anything wrong with it and the ls460 exhaust tips were sick. He has a new build i cant wait for. His car made me get a white gs4
Old 06-02-12, 10:05 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's keep this rolling. The top 2 guys that have inspired me so much I will have to say Thomas (speed-addict) and James (VipdOut). These two IMO keep it real and original and do their best to pay attention to detail. So many nowadays try and half-a$$ build a VIP car, but these two are a couple of the top ones who have built their cars from the ground up into a real VIP platform and did their best to keep it true 'JDM' and VIP. No short cuts, no replicas, and originality at it's best.

Thomas:

When it comes to Thomas' GS4 it's nothing but sickening (in a good way). From the Mode Parfume kit all the way to the Futura Design BBK that flows with the car so very well. After meeting Thomas at WFTX last year and then keeping in touch with him time to time after that he really helped break me from this 'US Accessories VIP' scene and turn my head to what true VIP is all about. He helped me break free from this trend and understand that curtains, fusa's and tsunas aren't what make or break a VIP car, but attention to detail and LEGIT body kits, suspension, interior and wheels are what really make it all happen in the end. So many people think that little knick knacks make them true VIP, but in reality they're nothing but $50 accessories. Thanks to Thomas I finally broke that phase and truly started making a turn for a legit VIP GS.

James:

James' inspires me not only with his car, but with his story. I do a lot of business with James, but also am well acquainted with him. Enough to where we may shoot each other a text or a call from time to time just to say what's up and see how things are going in each others lives. From talking with him so much he's really helped push me to do what I want with my build and to make it happen no matter what. Haters gonna hate and it's gonna be a long road, but with enough patience and dedication it will all happen and be worth it in the end. Doing what we do doesn't happen overnight. It takes a lot of work and money to make it to the top and he helps keep me driven to make it all happen.
Old 06-03-12, 03:09 AM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this video is the reason why i sold both my IS's. it was either a GS or LS with a better deal that came my way. i ended up with the GS going Junction themed and still building.

Old 06-03-12, 07:59 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This site inspired me to buy mine... And a lot of you inspire me to keep spending money. One of my first threads was asking questions on which ebay halo projectors to buy LOL! Now im actually buying everything i need for a LS430 retrofit ^_^

I couldn't say any 1 member inspires me because i pick and pull ideas, coversations, and my own personal touch. Shot out to the NorCal members for all their local support & installs

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 06-03-12 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-03-12, 10:13 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

I wud say everyone on here in club Lexus inspired me to start my build. I originally wanted a mustang, but my dad, who is a big Lexus fan, helped me see the light. Since the GS4 comes wit 300hp stock and the 04 GT came wit only 260 stock. I was immediately hooked wit this car.
Old 06-17-12, 03:47 PM
Jonb42
Driver

Your pirate mail is full. Get back at me. I
WhaEts up bro. I was just killing time looking at info about the swap I just ordered and saw your in w Paterson. You still in jersey? I just ordered a full 2jzgte vvti ariso swap that comes with a single upgrade (t68) already. I should have it on Friday. Me and my boy who owns a shop in necong are going to be doing it. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what intercooler to get ect.... I think I'm going to call the supra store tomorrow and order a bunch of ****. I have 3500 to go before I'm at my budget for spending. And suggestions? I know you didn't go with the vvti which was probably the smart choice father all. With boost who need vvti. I think it's overkill but I got a awesome deal on my motor and a great hook for any parts that you need to be jdm. They are in Ontario but the guy is great. He said he's sending me every thing I need to do a complete swap. Motor trans driveshaft LSD rear axels power steering pump resin or igniter stock intercooler large single turbo blitze blow off valve jdm ecu and a chipped ecu also. For 5000. I think that's good. And there is a warranty on the block and head for 44 days. It starts 2 weeks after delivery and ends 30 days afterwards. Get back at me. I'd love to speak with someone that has a clue about what I'm talking about. Lol. Later
Old 06-17-12, 11:13 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Detuned aka Slant Eye aka Peter D.:

Once upon a time he had an S14. Later he built a super sweet 800+hp SC. After it sold he ended up buying the GS (Hard top wtfover?).. That was the first time I had seen or heard of a 2GS and I couldn't get that outta my head.

Years later my red S13 coupe was stolen. Decided it was time to revive my love for modding and step up to a GS. Ended up with a 2003 SD which at the time I had no idea was actually sorta rare.. I just always loved GGP and when I found this one I had to have it!!

Sorry for the long winded answer!

Last edited by Revive; 04-13-14 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-17-12, 11:52 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I came here in 2001 with a 92 ES300, loved the 2GS after seeing some of the OG's like bluelex, manaray, socalsc4, 1sicklex, and rominl. Learned a lot about quality parts and good taste from those guys and others.

Was looking for a new car 4 years ago and came back to Lexus, first thinking an IS but coming back to the 2GS I'd always wanted, still love the car and plan on keeping it for a long time.
Old 06-18-12, 08:15 AM
lemaylexus
Driver

I just bought my first 2GS, it's an '01 Crystal White on tan 430. I owned an SC300 for 8 years, and loved its reliability, comfort, and refinement. The only thing I didn't much care for was the lack of space to put my amps and guitars (the NA straight 6 was kind of a slug, too, if I'm nitpicking). When the SC got totaled a few weeks ago, I test drove mid 2000 ES's, 1LS's, and some other various non-Lexus cars. Out of all that I drove, the 2GS was most impressive. Even with 100k+ miles, it's absolutely silent and solid. Loving it.
Old 04-27-14, 04:37 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bringing this back to the top, I enjoy going through old threads and seeing all the OG 2GS. Too many too list but that's where I get my inspiration. Sorry if I start bumping old threads but all the new ones are
Old 04-27-14, 05:04 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Dave's black GS400 (now Bing's) and Hameed's silver GS400 both inspired me when it came to modifications, but I had always had an interest in the 2GS. When one popped up at Sewell Lexus here in Dallas, I went and purchased it the following day it was listed:

Last edited by ThomasGS4; 04-27-14 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-27-14, 05:18 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree Parker. I remember seeing Daves and Hameeds and I was hooked. there are a few others from back in the day that really took it the next level before any of us.
Old 04-27-14, 05:47 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

This right here:
Attached Thumbnails What GS inspired you to buy or build your current GS?-img_7821.jpg  
Old 04-27-14, 05:55 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man... you guys are making it so hard for me to leave my GS stock.
My rule is that DD's should always remain 100% stock unless you can do something to improve the reliability and ergonomics.
It's going to be really hard to stick to my rules.

Quick Reply: What GS inspired you to buy or build your current GS?