GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What GS inspired you to buy or build your current GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 05:45 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cars that inspired me after I got my GS were:

Mr.Sypher

BlueLex

Alsilverbullet(sp)

SoCalGS430

DGot20's
Old 07-03-06, 07:27 PM
vborder
Lead Lap

Sorry, but i don't have a particular one, but I got inspired form all the whole CL crew
Without CL, i wouldn't be here or my ride.....Im glad i went with the GS....Cuz i had alot more options, but really I think i was going to get a lexus gs no matter what....I option on the GS was weighing out the others models
Old 07-04-06, 08:28 AM
BUSTN
Instructor

I don't know if anyone has mentioned JTANYO1 but his Aristo was and will still be the best in my eyes.Much props to him!!!!!!!!

Old 07-04-06, 08:54 AM
djjt
Lead Lap

i was actually looking to buy an IS at first... but looking aruund at prices. i said to myself... for an extra $3K i can get a GS... a GS400 that is. and my boss had one and wanted to sell it... and his mom drove it most of the time so the engine condition was good. so heck... i bought it!

and then the mods came in. my philosophy was don't make a car look fast unless it sounds fast and is fast. so i started with internal mods like SRT ECU & intake, exhaust, TM sparkplugs (i know, no big difference)... then a strut bar... then i did other cosmetic stuff like tints, HIDs for the headlights and the foglights... now i'm pending on rear strut bar, caliper painting, tein CS's.

inspired by who? well, i did see that red HKS drifting aristo... but that was a 300... i'm not inspired by anyone really... i'm just trying customize my own car. its not about my rims, but more like the rims i chose. u guys feel me right? and god i love lexus
Old 07-04-06, 09:31 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

The first time I fell in love with the 2nd gen GS I was walking home from school with my two friends Marcos and Melvin. It was a silver GS. I was like damn that's a hot *** car and my friend Melvin said that he didn't like it, that it looked like an egg. I was like you must be crazy. Then everyday on my way to school I used to see a gold GS, as a matter of fact I still see the car almost everyday when I pass thru that area. Everytime I see it I always think the same thing, "You inspired me to get this car." Lol

Last edited by DarKnight; 11-04-06 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-04-06, 02:15 PM
SickSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelex
I saw this thread in the sc forums and thought it was cool than it got me thinking. Shout out to the sc guys, I'm going to "borrow" your idea.

taking our idea thats a no no lol.... jk
if i had a GS id say bluelex, Fabolus, & JP GS would have to get my vote

Last edited by bluelex; 07-04-06 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-04-06, 04:49 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The above is where it all began for me. TTurbopimp's first GS (above) sealed the deal for me. He lives in my neighberhood, and I'd see him around the 'hood drivin' this black beast. At the time I had a souped up 300ZX turbo, also black on black. We probably had the market cornered on sexy black cars in our 'hood at the time, and at the time he literally lived like 3 blocks from me.

I really never thought about owning a GS until I saw his GS. Then, I was like...."Maybe, you know, if it was like his, I'd maybe consider it." It was the best GS I had ever seen in person.

Years later, my Z finally died with almost 300,000 miles, and TurboPimp had moved, and I moved, and then of course I didn't see that GS anymore.

Once the Z died, it was time for a new car, and a more practical one since I had switched careers and became a settlement agent. The memory of TTurboPimp's GS never faded though even though it had been a few years since I had seen it, and I soon bought my own GS. I actually joined CL before buying my GS (which swayed my decision away from the 540i considerably after seeing a whole bunch of heavily modded cars), and then I got tons of info about the car before even buying it, and then eventually found out that thay guy with the sexy black GS in my 'hood was also a member of CL....and he was working on an even BETTER GS. Must be nice. LOL

So, for me, TTurboPimp's ride is where it all began. I really had never considered the potential of a GS being a viable sports sedan for my tastes until then. But oh my, has that original assessment changed.
Old 07-04-06, 05:33 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never thought about modding any car I have purchased. That's including 4 or 5 maxima's and a Acura TLS. But after my TLS was down on it's 4th transmission I decided to get a GS. But here in the DC area 99% of the GS's are 300 and all stock. Never seen one with wheels and mod until I found this car on this sight and I decided that I wanted a GS430 Black Cherry. It took another year to find on in prestine condition. Then seeing how it looks with the proper rims and a kit. Made goose bumps form. So to you GSING430 u were my inspiration. And because of you and your car I am several thousand dollars poorer and million times happier.

Honorable Mention KEVINGS
[

My Baby

Old 07-04-06, 05:40 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nate579
I never thought about modding any car I have purchased. That's including 4 or 5 maxima's and a Acura TLS. But after my TLS was down on it's 4th transmission I decided to get a GS. But here in the DC area 99% of the GS's are 300 and all stock. Never seen one with wheels and mod until I found this car on this sight and I decided that I wanted a GS430 Black Cherry. It took another year to find on in prestine condition. Then seeing how it looks with the proper rims and a kit. Made goose bumps form. So to you GSING430 u were my inspiration. And because of you and your car I am several thousand dollars poorer and million times happier.

My Baby

Wow, you sure were inspired...you GS looks beautiful!!!
Old 07-04-06, 05:53 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

beautiful, beautiful, GS brother

and the loveley VIP's where the all time favorite Jtanoyo and JPGS

Last edited by GATO; 07-04-06 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 10:52 AM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

all the cars listed above are inspiring. im fairly new to the scene however i can see ideas of my upcoming project from all of these cars.
Old 07-06-06, 09:12 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
To answer the question; What was my inspiration on buying the GS4? It would have to be the Motortrend Televison review I saw on TNN back in 1998. The GS4 out performed the famed BMW 540I, and earned the coveted Motor trend Import car of the year award the same year. That convinced me to get this car.
Sweet! Me too. I remeber flipping channels and stopping on this show (didn't know what it was until now). Either way it always stuck in my head. I recall them mentioning something about how it can switch lanes faster and safer than any other vehicle.
Old 07-06-06, 12:40 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

lexis11 inspired me, but i have not yet purchased one. I need to sell my current car and then i will finally get my gs. I will settle for no other car.
Old 07-07-06, 05:19 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=nate579] So to you GSING430 u were my inspiration. And because of you and your car I am several thousand dollars poorer and million times happier.

LOL.. i didn't know what was coming when i first purchased my car in 03'...next thing i knew, i've dropped $7000 on my wheels and suspensions i'm just glad people have grown to love the color as it was the first time i've ever seen a blkcherry not mention the 430s are even harder to come by. none the less, your car has evolve beautifully. and the modding bug don't seem to stop!
Old 07-07-06, 02:16 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

I love the rides from this community, so many amazing cars I cant believe what everyone does with em. GSING430 definitely has a car that inspires a classy conservative look. The rims and hieght are awesome. I also like LexusTex I think it is, silver sitting just right.

My orginal inspiration came from my boss though, he bought a GS300 new in 2002 and I originally wanted to just **** him off by getting one myself (friendly rivalry). After I drove in his though, I fell in love with the car and wanted one of my own.

Last weekend, I bought my second 2nd gen GS, a 2002 430 with 39K loaded, Nav, Levinson, silver / black in almost perfect condition. I love driving it, it's a smooth ride, cruises but get's out of everyones way when it needs to.

Mods considered - I am an old man, so the mods will be conservative, plus grad school costs alot but will produce many more lexus in my future.

19" staggered setup, 8.5f and 9.5r - TSW Kyalami or something similar
Drop it about 1 - 1.5" all around and tighten it up just a hair
Front lip
Lighting conversion - not sure yet which one though, the Q45 conversion looks amazing!
Clear side markers

Quick Reply: What GS inspired you to buy or build your current GS?