GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

need help changing 2000 gs 300 fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 05:37 PM
kennylexsc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help changing 2000 gs 300 fluid

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]I need help to change my 2000 gs300 transmission fluid and coolant fluid, Can somebody help me how to change the two fluids? Can I use the antifreeze coolant or it has to be the ethylene glycol type, and I can buy the transmission fluid at toyota dealear right!
thanks alot guys

Old 03-29-06, 05:44 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, and welcome to Clublexus. I see you are fairly new to the site. Having said that, this subject comes up all the time on the forums. You can use the search feature, and the answers you seek are there.

For a quick answer...you should NOT use green ethylene glycol in your car. It is a recipe for disaster. Use the RED Toyota coolant. It will save you lots of heartache in the long run, when you try to flush the green stuff out..

The transmission fluid change is more involved and is discussed many times over.

HAPPY HUNTING!
Old 03-29-06, 09:17 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

This is one of the best bookmarks I have in my arsenal. Everything you need to know to answer your question can be found here. Banana's DIY
Old 03-30-06, 01:25 PM
kennylexsc
Driver

Default thank you for helping me out

thanks for reply my question, but the lexus manual recommends to use the ethylene glycol coolant for gs 300, please advice, does it easy to drain and refill the radiator? I plan to do it my self both radiator coolant and transmission fluid to avoid the expensive charges at the dealer.

once again thank you very much for all the help
Old 03-30-06, 01:58 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kennylexsc
thanks for reply my question, but the lexus manual recommends to use the ethylene glycol coolant for gs 300, please advice, does it easy to drain and refill the radiator? I plan to do it my self both radiator coolant and transmission fluid to avoid the expensive charges at the dealer.

once again thank you very much for all the help
I just went downstairs to check the backup containers of official Lexus red radiator fluid and it clearly says on the front Ethylene Glycol. Do NOT use any other fluid other than red Toyota fluid though. The other guy only mentioned not using GREEN ethylene glycol, not red. It is easy to drain and refill while a complete flush is more complicated. The transmission fluid is also easy, just make sure you purchase the new crush washer from Lexus. Just follow Banana's directions and you will be just fine.
Old 03-30-06, 08:32 PM
kennylexsc
Driver

Default need help again

thanks for helping me again,
I still have question on how long should I let the draining of the old transmission fluid out? Some body says 5 minutes, or just until see the dropping then stop, same as 2 quazts.
Also to drain the coolant completely, how many gallons or quarts do i need to fill the radiator? is that also 50% of water too

thanks guys
Old 03-30-06, 08:38 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

If you want to do what Lexus does when they perform a Trans service.

1. loosen trans bolt
2. drain trans fluid (around 4 qts)
3. tighten the plug back up
4. add ToyotaIV trans fluid

all done That's all Lexus does
Old 03-31-06, 11:10 AM
kennylexsc
Driver

Default problem again

i did change the trans fluid, very easy thank you all. But I still have problem to change the radiator coolant, I bought 1 gallon of red coolant from toyota dealer, is this enough to drain the radiator?

Is there a instruction show to drain the radiator coolant for a 2000gs300?
I had my coolant changed when the car was 30,000 miles and now it's 100,000. Do you guys think I should change the coolant now?

thanks for all the advices
Old 03-31-06, 11:40 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

typing from my phone

cool engine

open radiator cap

open petcock(petcock is located on lower right side if you are facing engine)

fluid drains......
Old 04-01-06, 09:38 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone has a step by step process of changing out the radiator fluid? i read somewhere that you have to turn on the heater. what does this do and how do you purge the air out of the system?
Old 04-08-06, 12:25 AM
tonysofly
Pole Position

aren't you the same person that drained the brake fluid out of all 4 calipers and then said u had no brakes? if you are, PLEASE take your car to any local mechanic shop to do the maintenance. changing the fluids can be extremely easy, but it can also easily be done wrong.
Old 04-08-06, 01:49 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont bleed the air out of the coolant lines, your car will overheat from the air pockets. After filling up, leave the radiator cap off and let engine idle. Once it gets to normal operating temp, the thermalstat will open up and you'll see air pockets come out of the coolant fill. Just keep filling it up until most of the air is out.
Old 03-03-11, 07:58 PM
1conbaba
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexbox
This is one of the best bookmarks I have in my arsenal. Everything you need to know to answer your question can be found here. Banana's DIY
ForbbidenPlease show me how to access Banana's DIY! Thanks
Old 03-04-11, 12:43 AM
SYNSEI
Driver

Originally Posted by 1conbaba
ForbbidenPlease show me how to access Banana's DIY! Thanks
This is an old post so Banana's site was probably migrated. Here's the link I have: http://bananags.grantham-international.com/
Old 03-04-11, 02:40 AM
SidhuGs300
Pole Position

There is alot of good information on bananas site...

Quick Reply: need help changing 2000 gs 300 fluid