GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

real chrome grill on a 98 GS 400

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-01, 08:36 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys,

I'll post up the name of that paint removal gel when I get my lazy a$$ outside and look in the garbage can.. It was $24 CDN at my local Home Depot.. Worked great on my front door..
Old 09-02-01, 11:40 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
Hey guys,

I'll post up the name of that paint removal gel when I get my lazy a$$ outside and look in the garbage can.. It was $24 CDN at my local Home Depot.. Worked great on my front door..
Thanks alot man !
Old 09-02-01, 04:04 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Default Chrome Grill

Great work on removing the paint, it looks kick-***!!

I am afraid, however, that it might rust or discolor now that it is exposed to the elements?

Might this be possible??

- SYNERGY -
Old 09-02-01, 06:19 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Sorry for the delay in responding with the paint remover.. The boys came over and you know.. 1 beer, 2 beers ect ect.. LOL

Anyways the paint remover is called Circa 1850 - Heavy body paint and varnish remover.. This stuff works great.. Follow the instructions and you should have no problem.. You might want to try it in a small corner that isn't really visable before undertaking the whole thing..

For those who are worried about the chrome discolouring then I suggest after you strip the paint to wash the grill good and dry it then buy a can of clear gloss paint spray and you are golden!

One last thing DO NOT USE PAINT REMOVER ON GRILL IF IT IS STILL ATTACHED TO YOUR CAR.. Cannot stress that enough.. Post pics when done!

Duh I said it was $24 CDN for this stuff.. It was only $8.99.. Forgot I bought some other crap..
Old 09-03-01, 06:05 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

2SAVVY, thanks alot, YOU DA MAN !
Old 09-03-01, 09:59 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

No prob Diesel.. Tell me how it works when you do yours.. When and if I repaint my front end on the GS I will do this to the grill and put the bra on the car away for good..
Old 09-03-01, 10:35 AM
thebasher
Driver School Candidate

Default Chrome grill

I used to own a gold plating machine a few years ago so I understand the plating process pretty will. I would not paint a clear coat over chrome. The reason for this is that paint does not stick very well to a smooth surface like chrome. The second reason is clear paint in a can from Home depot usually does not have a UV in it and doesn’t have a flex agent added. This means that over time the heat from your car and the sun are going to cause it to crack and turn a lemon color.
The chrome from the factory is usually some of the best chrome around and I wouldn’t expect a problem. The only problem that I have seen (not on a Lexus) is that the nickel under the chrome will sometimes show through. But must people can’t tell the nickel color from chrome. If you’re going to try this paint stripping process be careful with the chemicals that you use. Some strippers will melt plastic so always test the chemical in an unvisible area first. I used acetone and it takes a little longer but it works for sure.

Thanks,
Chris
thebasher@aol
P.S. the plate cost 29.00 and I found it on eBay. The lady has a lot of them and she may cut you a deal if you bought more than one.
Old 09-03-01, 04:01 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

whaddup chris!!

thanks for the advice!!!

~manny
Old 09-03-01, 08:41 PM
da-mit
Driver School Candidate

I did mine yesterday with acetone. Looks great, cant thank you enough for finding this out.
Old 09-03-01, 11:48 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Default A few questions...

Wow, sweet find guys!

I was wondering if someone could post close up pictures of the chrome grill in broad day light so I could see the detail of the chrome. Even the corners of the grill, (where there are no vertical slats, just a solid piece) can be un-painted? What about the horizontal slats? those too? basically EVERYTHING becomes chrome when you remove the paint?

Ok, this may sound like a stupid question, but when you say the entire grill is "chrome", does that mean its entirely metal? or is it "chrome plated"?

So the general consensus is that if you use acetone, the results are good?

Where could I purchase acetone, I'm guessing local hardware stores but is there a specific kind I need? Thanks for the answers!
Old 09-04-01, 05:42 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy

Wow...great find...

I really feel useless.
Old 09-06-01, 11:11 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Post pics, any of you that have successfully done this mod!

We would love to see your new chrome grills
Old 09-06-01, 02:16 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by xsuperjoex
Wow...great find...

I really feel useless.
That's OK...XSuperjoeX...At least you have some sweet-looking red calipers...

Brent
Old 09-06-01, 05:17 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude dont sweat it you were the first! are you gonna stick with your JD front grill or use the thinner?
Old 09-06-01, 07:32 PM
The_Best_GS
Driver

Cool

Come on dude... Most of us will be riding around with our stock grill if you had not come up with the idea in the first place..

Until I see what this new grill looks like, I'm keeping my JD Chrome Grill 2.0. I think it looks HOT

Originally posted by xsuperjoex
Wow...great find...

I really feel useless.
Attached Thumbnails real chrome grill on a 98 GS 400-lexani_iris_n_chrome_grill.jpg  

Quick Reply: real chrome grill on a 98 GS 400