GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Apexi WS2 vs Blitz Nur Spec: review

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 11:47 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Apexi WS2 vs Blitz Nur Spec: review

So I took off the Blitz Nur Spec exhaust and this morning finally got around to installing the Apexi' WS2. So I'm going to attempt to give a proper review between the two to educate buyers in the future to make more suitable choices..... that and I'm no longer working anymore so I have alot of time on my hands......

Blitz Nur Spec
Looks: 8
Interior Sound: 9
Exterior Sound: 9
HP gains: 1
Quality welds: 10
Fitment: 9

Total: 46

Apexi WS2
Looks: 9
Interior Sound: 8
Exterior Sound: 7
HP gains: 4 (if any?)
Quality Welds: 8
Fitment: 10

Total: 46

BLITZ
When I first put on the Blitz, I instantly loved the way it looked. The tips filled out my bumper quite nicely and was nice and snug sitting flush w/ the bumper (Veilside K1). Installation is a cinche since its an axle back exhaust, but one minor grievence I had was that on my drivers side exhaust, the exhaust sat a little lower and more tilted then the passenger side. I played around with it for approx 1 min and just put a small piece of rubber approx 0.25" thick between the inner rubber hanger and it pulled the tip perfectly center. Easy fix!

Took a drive w/ the Blitz and initial response was wow this sounds good! NO Drone what so ever.... and I hear it when I want to. When the car is idle there is no sound to be heard inside the cabin. As you climb the RPM's the exhaust note would climb as expected. Sounds like a true inline6, lower pitch rumble.

Had a buddy drive around while I was in the lot listening. This is where I feel the Blitz really shines. If I were a car guy working around somewhere, and I hear this sweet subtle note purring around, I'd stop what I am doing and go take a look. If I weren't a car guy, I'd probably not think about it twice. When I hear the Blitz I think of a purring lion. @ WoT it never sounds like a mentally unstable lion... but definitely one that is pissed off and could kill you. At Idle you hear a slight hint of a rumble but not noticeable unless you are looking for it.

Driving, sometimes the car would feel hollow. I'm not sure how to explain but it feels as if I lose some of the responsiveness down in the lower end torque. I'm not sure if I felt this before or because switching over to the Apexi I now notice. HP gains are minimal if any.... I did not feel any boost, and if I did it would probably be in my head. But the loose feeling was enough to always be on the back of my mind. I'm sure many don't even notice but for myself, it was not troublesome but just something I would of liked to not exist.

THe quality of the axle back exhaust system was marvelous. Very clean welds, all uniformed. Cannister looks pretty and of quality steel. The tips have the indented Blitz Nur Spec signage. Once on the car you really don't notice but for those that are that picky, the Blitz is definitely quality stuff. (see 1st paragraph for fitment)

Apex'i WS2
This thing is beautiful! Originally when I was searching for an exhaust I had narrowed it down to the Apexi', Blitz, and the Borla. I ultimately chose the Blitz b/c of the pricing since most exhaust didn't produce gains on the GS. This morning as I gazed at the Apex'i exhaust mounted on the car, I really felt good. It looks beautiful sitting under there. Once the car is down, at a standing position, you barely see the hint of the shiney muffler pearing through. The Tips are thicker then the Blitz and visually are more noticeable. Ultimately this is what has swayed me to Apexi' rather then Blitz b/c I felt from the rear of my car the only chrome piece is the "L" emblem which IMO messed w/ the lines of the rear of the car. I wanted to offset the center piece "L" by having more noticeable accents else where in the rear of the car. The thicker Apexi' tips provided me w/ that.

Interior cabin felt much more quiet, the growl of the exhaust is much more apparent in the higher end of the RPM's. Normal city driving I can hear the exhaust more, its much throaty and higher pitched then the Blitz so easier to notice but definitely not anything intrusive. If the Blitz was a purring lion, then the Apexi is a hungry bobcat about to take down an elephant its so hungry.

I haven't had anyone drive around w/ the Apexi on yet but did have my much to young to drive cousin rev up the car a few times all the way up to wot. Sounds much throatier and definitely less roar and more growl. Definitely higher pitch then the Blitz but does not sound as hollow, which is a good thing.

Driving around, I felt pretty good. I am hands down almost certain that the car feels much more responsive now. I dont know if its b/c I also changed out the gaskets that was provided w/ the Apexi or that its a full cat back system but the car definitely is more responsive and feels tighter. Not handling wise tighter but responsive tight.....meaning I feel the car responds to my gas pressure much quicker then before.

I go up the same hill everyday on Victoria to Costa mesa, and w/ the Apexi' i just feel like i own that hill now. I floor the gas and instantly have my punch and i'm cutting lanes.... w/ the Blitz before it was never a problem where I made any notes about but only apparent once the Apexi was on. I'm leaning towards I had a *****ty gasket.

The welds are definitely not perfect. A littlle messier then the Blitz, but not messy period. I felt this was a bit of a grievence so I checked out the other muffler to see if all the welds were the same.... nope, the other side looked really good. So basically the welds are inconsistent which is more of an internal problem that might just be the draw of the luck. I don't think the inconsistent welds is going to make much of a difference to me but none the less, something to note.

Fitment...... frkkin PERFECT! so easy and so effortless.... Apexi' gives you all the gaskets and bolts you need and some extra's too..... I'm very impressed w/ the fitment.

Overview...... they both added out to result the same amount of points according to me. Was I happy w/ the Blitz.... Extremely!.... am I happy w/ the Apexi'.... Hells yes! Both had pro's and cons.... I liked the sound of the Blitz more and in some cases even the visual aspect.... but for my car and the play of color schemes and what nots.... the Apexi' is more favorable for myself. I just needed more shiney silver to offset the "L" emblem and the fuller muffler tips provided that. w/ the Blitz, the exhaust openings weren't as noticeable therefore w/ the shiny "L", it made my car seem more vertical... now w/ the new tips offsetting the "L", it gives the rear a more flatter horizontal look, and in my eyes a more meaner stance. Plus the hint of that shiney muffler is just pure sex! but I think what really has got me worked up about the Apexi' is how tighter the car responds.

In time, i'm sure i'll start to love the growl of the Apexi' but I've been riding around w/ the sweet Blitz Rumble for so long that its music to my ears.

make the write choice..... These critiques are based solely on my car (GS300).... I'll write more once I get a new engine! PS I apologize if there are spelling and grammatical errors, I'm trying to have a somewhat intelligent conversation on AIM at the same time.

Old 03-22-06, 12:26 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice review there. Crazy metaphors .
Old 03-22-06, 06:05 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

My Blitz does the same thing on the drivers side.. It hangs just a little lower but i think i mentioned this to you before Uptown... Where can i find a rubber piece to correct this issue.. Also you put the the rubber piece between the stock rubber hanger and the exhaust part that goes on the rubber hanger? Can you post a pic...?Thanks

Tony
Old 03-22-06, 07:33 AM
Brownrice
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice writeup! Thanks for the clips too. This will be REALLY helpful for searches. . .wait. . .do poeple still do that? =P
Old 03-22-06, 09:28 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tmf2004
My Blitz does the same thing on the drivers side.. It hangs just a little lower but i think i mentioned this to you before Uptown... Where can i find a rubber piece to correct this issue.. Also you put the the rubber piece between the stock rubber hanger and the exhaust part that goes on the rubber hanger? Can you post a pic...?Thanks

Tony
find any small piece that can wedge between the round rubber holder and the hook.... basically trying to mimic a tighter rubber grasp on the drivers hook... the one towards the center of the car. Just make sure whatever piece you put in there that it will weather resistent.....

I just had a small piece of flexible rubber lying around. I speculate a 2" rectancular piece of gasket would do the trick. if it doens't pull tight enough, squeeze another piece in there to make it thicker making the rubber hanger pull tighter on the exhaust pushing the angle of the tips inward..... Simple fix!..... so it just wasn't me.... same minor problem in other Blitz exhaust too.... interesting to note. I wonder if that angle is so miniscule that others just don't notice.
Old 03-22-06, 10:58 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

nice review! Good comparison
Old 03-22-06, 01:51 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

first off, if you dont want me to be totally jealous, PLEASE tell me that shot of that nice lift is not in your personal garage!!! Man , I would kill for one of those.

As an Apexi WS owner myself I can support the cosmetic aspect you mentioned. I had a couple a friends riding behind me one night ask me if I had a new exhaust system. At that point it had been on my car for about a year!!! Those shiny cans definitely attract a trained eye for auto mods. Sound-wise, I agree it is nice and quiet during idle and has more of a throaty tone at WOT. You should hear this system on my 8 cyl !!!

edit - awesome writeup , by the way!
Old 03-22-06, 02:12 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Bolth sound very good, I guess it's a matter of personal opinion . But I must tell you, I cringed every time you hit the rev-limiter
Old 03-22-06, 02:18 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blaise
Bolth sound very good, I guess it's a matter of personal opinion . But I must tell you, I cringed every time you hit the rev-limiter
really? i love doing that......

if somethign should happen its just an excuse for me to get the new engine anyways... i'm kinda hoping it takes a ***** on me.
Old 03-22-06, 08:17 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by UptownGS
find any small piece that can wedge between the round rubber holder and the hook.... basically trying to mimic a tighter rubber grasp on the drivers hook... the one towards the center of the car. Just make sure whatever piece you put in there that it will weather resistent.....

I just had a small piece of flexible rubber lying around. I speculate a 2" rectancular piece of gasket would do the trick. if it doens't pull tight enough, squeeze another piece in there to make it thicker making the rubber hanger pull tighter on the exhaust pushing the angle of the tips inward..... Simple fix!..... so it just wasn't me.... same minor problem in other Blitz exhaust too.... interesting to note. I wonder if that angle is so miniscule that others just don't notice.
Thanks for your help.. I will try that...
Old 03-22-06, 08:24 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

nice write up... why did you decide to go with the APEX'i over the Blitz?
Old 03-22-06, 10:53 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Mostly for cosmetic reasons..... I shaved most of my emblems off in the rear leaving only the "L" emblem in the middle.

I tinted my rear lights and so the only thing that is chrome in the rear of my car is the "L" emblem and the chrome bumper trimming, which does not stand out too much.

So basically when you view the car from the rear.... your eyes go directly to the "L" emblem which i hate... i feel a car should be viewed as a whole and should flow.... so i wanted to offset the "L" a bit by adding a more noticeable exhaust tip/cannister. So basically now the car has a sort of triangle effect w/ the 2 tips on the bottom leading up to the "L" emblem on the trunk. It gives the car a more flatter horizontal stance.....

in my eyes it makes the car look a bit lower n meaner since I had to raise my car a bit b/c of the wheels. Originally I was looking into the Lsportline exhaust but there are quite a few bad *** cars already sporting the Lsportline so I felt like keeping it simple in the rear..... that and rominL rocks the Apexi and his word is golden!
Old 03-23-06, 05:48 PM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

Great writeup and thanks for sharing....
Old 03-23-06, 06:55 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

ah i c cool stuff, i definately see what you mean with that 'triangular' effect..
Old 03-23-06, 07:13 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

excellent review ...

i have learned alot between the two

Quick Reply: Apexi WS2 vs Blitz Nur Spec: review