GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car not shifting from paRK??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 11:24 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. I had to open up the entire console down to the shifter inside the car. There was gunk like coffee, soda and tar down there.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (01-14-21)
Old 03-14-06, 11:27 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the culprit ^^^
Old 03-14-06, 12:31 PM
My98-400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the page, took a quick scan. (not best quality)

(but this doesn't seem like the problem your having, GL )
Attached Thumbnails Car not shifting from paRK??????-resized-again.jpg  

Last edited by My98-400; 03-14-06 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-14-06, 01:48 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

That's so if you get into this problem you can get out of it......till you see a mechanic
tiguy99 (01-14-21)
Old 03-14-06, 02:16 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanx again for the help. The diagram and all, you guy's are great. I have to take the console apart and check out the gunk factor, I know I never eat or drink in my car but who know's who did what before me. I know about the shift override, I just wanted to be able to shift normally. I don't look cool with someone else in the car and I say "Could u hand me that flathead screwdriver,so I can put this bad boy into gear" lol
Old 03-14-06, 02:17 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

FunGuy, when u cleaned out the gunk, did it shift properly?
Old 12-13-08, 02:30 PM
GS3loco
Rookie

I had this shift lock problem today when I was checking a fuse due to my cigarette lighter being out. I had removed the "Radio 2" fuse and once I did, the shift lock was always locking. It was really strange. Once I put the fuse back, my problems were solved.

I would never think these two items would be related. I'm still trying to fix my cigarette lighter however.

Last edited by GS3loco; 12-13-08 at 02:36 PM.
tiguy99 (01-14-21)
Old 02-04-15, 06:51 PM
Kretek234
Rookie

Default Solenoid

Originally Posted by sockfocks
I'm guessing the brake switch near the foot pedal under the dash or the solenoid that unlocks the shifter is going bad. That should be under the center console.
I have the same problem with my '99 GS 300. All my brake light are working. Do you think is the solenoid?, the part name is computer sub assembly shift lock control. Anybody ever try to replace that? I need help how to replace that with picture please. I already take the center console out. Do you think this is the problem. I haven't order the part yet, since electrical component is non returnable, I just want to be sure if this the problem.
Thank you.
Old 02-04-15, 08:27 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

so i did some research, heres some of what i have found including items that have been stated already.

1. you have a "stop" fuse, look for said stop fuse and see if its burnt out, or any fuse that's related to the brake's.
2. Check to see if any of your brake lights are not working either.
3. On majority of vehicles including ours there is something called a neutral safety switch which is also connected to the brake pedal along with the Brake light/Stop light switch. This neutral safety switch is what tells the solenoid in the console to release so you can shift into drive, reverse, etc. If this has gone out the only way for you to get out of park is to override it with the button on the center console.

For your information we have two places for fuses in the cabin. Drivers side footwell and passenger side foot well as well as the small fusebox in the bay.
just one link i found that had some information in it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ch-anyone.html

heres the part:
84540-30270
tiguy99 (01-14-21)
Old 02-04-15, 08:33 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

heres a link to a PDF of the three fuses related to the shift linkage.15A CIG FUSE 10 AMP ECU + Ignition fuse and 20AMP stop fuse.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...attach_id=5825

OMG. YOU BUMPED A 7 YEAR OLD THREAD.
Old 02-04-15, 08:36 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've never had this problem, but when I was changing my transmission indicator light bulb, I had to take apart the shift console and inside there is a spring that locks and unlocks the shifter. Essentially when you stick a flat head in the slit you are just engaging and disengaging the spring to lock and unlock the shifter. Like the other person said the spring probably has soda, gunk, fuzz, lint, and a bunch of crap in it which is causing it not to work. It's not a fuse, solenoid or sensor. It's an itty bitty spring. BUT be careful taking it apart because the spring may fly out, when you see it, you'll see what I mean.
Old 02-04-15, 08:55 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wbmx1981
I've never had this problem, but when I was changing my transmission indicator light bulb, I had to take apart the shift console and inside there is a spring that locks and unlocks the shifter. Essentially when you stick a flat head in the slit you are just engaging and disengaging the spring to lock and unlock the shifter. Like the other person said the spring probably has soda, gunk, fuzz, lint, and a bunch of crap in it which is causing it not to work. It's not a fuse, solenoid or sensor. It's an itty bitty spring. BUT be careful taking it apart because the spring may fly out, when you see it, you'll see what I mean.
I'm not saying it's just the stop light switches, fuses, and etc. but its just a possibility and it could be just something to look for as well. like you said it coulb be as simple as just cleaning out the center console from all the gunk then good, as that's cost free and reassuring. haha, when working on cars you can never really cancel out any possibilities.
Old 02-05-15, 05:31 PM
Kretek234
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
so i did some research, heres some of what i have found including items that have been stated already.

1. you have a "stop" fuse, look for said stop fuse and see if its burnt out, or any fuse that's related to the brake's.
2. Check to see if any of your brake lights are not working either.
3. On majority of vehicles including ours there is something called a neutral safety switch which is also connected to the brake pedal along with the Brake light/Stop light switch. This neutral safety switch is what tells the solenoid in the console to release so you can shift into drive, reverse, etc. If this has gone out the only way for you to get out of park is to override it with the button on the center console.

For your information we have two places for fuses in the cabin. Drivers side footwell and passenger side foot well as well as the small fusebox in the bay.
just one link i found that had some information in it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ch-anyone.html

heres the part:
84540-30270
So, you don't think is not the solenoid ( computer sub assy shift lock control)?, when I stepped on the break, all my break light was on. I haven't check the fuses yet. Where is the location of the "stop" fuse? is it on the driver side or the pass side.
I still need know if somebody ever change the solenoid, will be nice with pictures.
Thank's.
Old 02-06-15, 01:11 PM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Betting its the shift interlock solenoid in the shifter. Mine would randomly lock the shifter in park. I just wedged a small piece of paper in the side of the shifter which forces it to the unlocked position. Not the safest thing, but Im the only one that drives my car anyways. Im not sure if you can get the solenoid by itself, I think Lexus sells the entire lower shifter assembly. I may be wrong...good luck.
Old 02-06-15, 02:16 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

This is what I was talking about. In the picture below you will find that I circled the part that springs up and down, like I previously stated the circled part must be able to move (engage or disengage). There is a nut to the left of the part that will release the whole assembly (spring and the gray part). Sticking a paper in the slit will also do the trick.

I stole the pic from the thread where the OP changed his shift indicator bulb. The link is the whole thread about the DIY for the bulb itself.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ator-bulb.html
Attached Thumbnails Car not shifting from paRK??????-lock-park.jpg  

Quick Reply: Car not shifting from paRK??????