GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My driver side door wont lock...anyone have this problem too?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 02:27 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My driver side door wont lock...anyone have this problem too?

My Driver side door wont lock via the button that locks and unlocks all doors. Nor will it unlock or lock via the key remote.

It will only lock if i put my key in the keyhole or if i flip the little lock button for that single door inside the car.

Only started yesterday not sure why this happens. When i go to my car and all doors are locked. I press the unlock button on my key remote. And when i do that all other doors EXCEPT my driver side front door unlock! agh

Sorry if its kind of confusing.

Cliffnotes :

Can only LOCK/UNLOCK Car by using they actual key or pressing the individual lock/unlock button for the driverside door
Old 03-01-06, 04:09 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like it may be a door actuator problem, which is a common problem on the older GS's. Do a search for door actuator, and check if those threads address the same problems youre experiencing. I have the same problem with my rear drivers side door, where I have to push the *** inside in order for the key-remote to arm and lock all doors. When the alarm doesnt beep, I know its because that rear door lock has to be pushed to the lock position from inside.
Old 03-01-06, 06:19 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Try popping the door panel and physically moving the actuator controlling the locking mechanism. Should give you a better idea. Good news is that aftermarket actuators are pretty cheap.
Old 03-01-06, 07:02 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey guys thanks for the information. I didnt know where to start! ill be looking for this and will post my findings/results

thx cl
Old 03-01-06, 09:46 PM
SC400_2nV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, I was told that replacing the drivers door actuator fixes the problem if any of your door locks act up. This was from a tech at my local lex dealer. In my case mine all have minds of there own.. I hope replacing one will fix them all like Im hearing..
Old 03-02-06, 09:15 AM
Revhard191
Lead Lap

Darn, I have the same problem...

When I bought my car they told me that I have to re-program that door, but the funny thing is that I can hear the door actuator clicking but it never opens up the lock.... one of these days I will get around to fixing it, but now I know me or my wife will not lock our keys in the car....

I will wait to hear from you all with what you have found.

Cheers,

Revhard191
Old 03-02-06, 09:21 AM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I have not posted in a long time. I am also having the same problem with my drivers door and back passenger door. I spoke with Corlley at Park Place and he said they accuaters are 257.10 for the front and 98.29 for the rear door. That seems high to me. Where can I get the aftermarket door actuators. Do I have to do any fabrication to them to get them to work? Corlley said that the front also has the locking mechinism that come with it that is why the front door is more expensive. Thanks for the help guys.

Nate
Old 03-02-06, 09:30 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the door ecu's are all connected.. did you check your fuses and relays for the doors?

check with carson's and sewell...for the actuators.
Old 03-02-06, 02:44 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexbox
Try popping the door panel and physically moving the actuator controlling the locking mechanism. Should give you a better idea. Good news is that aftermarket actuators are pretty cheap.
Where did you find or hear of aftermarket actuators being pretty cheap. I was quoted $280 just for the part from my Lexus dealer and they said it would be over $250 to install it which made it over $500 for the repair. I said no thank you. You guys should call Lexus corporate and complain because this issue needs to be addressed even if the cars are out of warranty.
Old 03-02-06, 03:33 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
Where did you find or hear of aftermarket actuators being pretty cheap. I was quoted $280 just for the part from my Lexus dealer and they said it would be over $250 to install it which made it over $500 for the repair. I said no thank you. You guys should call Lexus corporate and complain because this issue needs to be addressed even if the cars are out of warranty.
hehe If you buy them from Lexus, then that is not aftermarket. That would be called OEM replacements. I put in stereo for about a year and I used actuators all the time when installing alarms to convert manual door locks to automatic. I think they were maybe $20 per actuator, retail.
Old 03-02-06, 06:26 PM
SC400_2nV
Driver

All I know is ALL of my locks act up & the tech told me hes seen it on tons of GS's & it requires replacing the DRIVERS side actuator only. I was told they all run off the drivers door & when it acts up they all eventually do. I would try replacing just the drivers door, go to a junkyard and get one out of a gs430 or 01+ gs300.. you'll only pay 50.00 & its OEM.
Old 03-02-06, 06:39 PM
proxybot
Driver School Candidate

I got a driver's side actuator last week from Sewell for $210 or so .. and $125 labor for a friend to replace the hood latch cable and actuator (prob $75 for the actuator portion). It's a common issue with the GS, so I doubt you have to look any further. Dealer is $500 for part and labor.
Old 03-03-06, 03:51 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexbox
hehe If you buy them from Lexus, then that is not aftermarket. That would be called OEM replacements. I put in stereo for about a year and I used actuators all the time when installing alarms to convert manual door locks to automatic. I think they were maybe $20 per actuator, retail.
What are these aftermarket door lock actuators that you were using. Are they made to work in the GS or is there modifying you have to do on the car or aftermarket part. Can you put just one in the passenger side front door that will work correctly with the standard units and unlocking mechanism. Where can you get them at.
Old 03-03-06, 11:14 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
What are these aftermarket door lock actuators that you were using. Are they made to work in the GS or is there modifying you have to do on the car or aftermarket part. Can you put just one in the passenger side front door that will work correctly with the standard units and unlocking mechanism. Where can you get them at.
An actuator is an actuator, they can work anywhere for anything relative as they universal. They have ONLY two wires coming out of them for sensing when to do its thing. Its a REALLY simple device. The only thing you have to worry about is how much pressure the actuator can exert when activated. I have NOT run into a case where the basic actuators I installed would not lock/unlock the door. Just for an example, strong actuators are needed when you shave the door handles because, they need to pop open a heavy door. You can get them at a stereo shop or buy a used replacement from a junkyard. Lemme know if you need some more help.
Old 03-04-06, 03:30 AM
SiccMonkey
Driver

as everyone said it ie VERY common my front driver never locks/unlocks with the remote, and now the rear passanger is starting to act up too

Quick Reply: My driver side door wont lock...anyone have this problem too?