GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

removing wood trim kit.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 08:56 PM
tone
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question removing wood trim kit.

Is it possible to remove the wood trim kit without damaging whats under it?.. has anyone successfully uninstalled it? please let me know, im trying to take it off and restore the interior.
Attached Thumbnails removing wood trim kit.-jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj.jpg  
Old 01-08-06, 09:02 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't done it, but I understand that you have to use a hair dryer to heat the piece and allow the glue to soften. You may want to try it on a small piece first.
Old 01-09-06, 05:32 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow thats a lot of wood.. Everything I have read is that you need to warm up the stickers with a hot hair dryer than pull softly, using "Goo be gone" will help remove the left over residue. Also mayb you want to try using a fishing line pulling her under the sticker instead of peeling it off with your hands. Good luck.

Last edited by bluelex; 01-09-06 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-09-06, 05:38 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great advice Adrian. I think the hair dryer and goo gone will work best. Just be really careful and take your time. Good luck
Old 01-09-06, 06:18 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluelex
Wow thats a lot of wood.. Everything I have read is that you need to warm up the stickers with a hot hair dryer than pull softly, using "Goo be gone" will help remove the left over residue. Also mayb you want to try using a fishing line pulling her under the sticker instead of peeling it off with your hands. Good luck.

Thats the way I did it and let me tell you I did it in the Summer time when it's really HOT. I left the car sit in the sun for a few hours so the gule would all ready be warm then the hair dryer makes it come off like butter.
Old 01-09-06, 06:30 AM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Heat, Goo Be Gone and some elbow & finger grease is all it takes. You might also consider using a small plastic type putty knife to deal w/ the stubburn pieces. The plastic knife will avoid scratching the bezels.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-06, 08:29 AM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tone
Is it possible to remove the wood trim kit without damaging whats under it?.. has anyone successfully uninstalled it? please let me know, im trying to take it off and restore the interior.
where are you in NY?
I know a few places that you could go and have them removed.....just pm and ill let u know.
just use a heat gun and take your time.
Old 01-10-06, 04:22 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Default removing trim

I just did the same thing as you are trying to do.

I would recommend that you remove it in sections. I used the hairdryer method by heating up the peice that im trying to remove for about 5 seconds. Then I used my fingernail to begin to peel a corner of the trim off as im still heating it with the hair dryer. Try to rub off as much as the residue while its still warm as it will goo up into small ball if you rub it with your finger.

This method ensures that you will not damage the vinyl beneath the fake wood trim. I do not recommend using a tool for prying the trim as it may gouge the underlying surface.

After the trim peice is removed there will be be some left over glue residue from where the wood trim used to be. I used a citrus based engine degreaser applied to a microfiber rag to break down the glue and completely removed it by rubbing hard with my finger till it came completely off.

All the rubbing will make your fingertips really raw. Therefore I recommend you take it off in phases at a time. I removed it in 3 separate occasions. All together it took about 5 hours to get it all off and the glue completely removed.

Good luck
b
Old 01-10-06, 06:16 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with redbaron. I did the same method as him and did it in sections. My fingertips had blisters on them from the rubbing but it looks good now.
Old 01-10-06, 07:50 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was such a pain, I recommend doing it in the dead of summer, on a really hot day.

Yeah, you'll sweat, but it will be MUCH easier than using the hair dryer. And you need a good hairdryer, one that gets pretty darn hot.

I'll be removing some more of mine soon, around the window switches and stuff. But I'm gonna wait 'til summer. My original removal was around the gauges. It had begun to look really bad with the plastic coating peeling and stuff. So off it went, but it was a fight. It was winter when I did it that time. No more. LOL
Old 01-11-06, 04:48 PM
ocean350
Driver

Yep. a hair dryer will do and take your time.
btw, the wood trim will be pretty much damaged once you pull it off.
well, this reminds me that i need to finish my wood trm job soon.
Old 01-11-06, 04:59 PM
Lexus Dawg
Driver

We just removed some from my brothers Beemer. Hair dryer, dental floss and Goo Be Gone!!!!
Old 01-11-06, 05:37 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redbaron
I just did the same thing as you are trying to do.

I would recommend that you remove it in sections. I used the hairdryer method by heating up the peice that im trying to remove for about 5 seconds. Then I used my fingernail to begin to peel a corner of the trim off as im still heating it with the hair dryer. Try to rub off as much as the residue while its still warm as it will goo up into small ball if you rub it with your finger.

This method ensures that you will not damage the vinyl beneath the fake wood trim. I do not recommend using a tool for prying the trim as it may gouge the underlying surface.

After the trim peice is removed there will be be some left over glue residue from where the wood trim used to be. I used a citrus based engine degreaser applied to a microfiber rag to break down the glue and completely removed it by rubbing hard with my finger till it came completely off.

All the rubbing will make your fingertips really raw. Therefore I recommend you take it off in phases at a time. I removed it in 3 separate occasions. All together it took about 5 hours to get it all off and the glue completely removed.

Good luck
b

Didn't the engine degreaser discolor the stereo face plastic or the lettering on it?
Old 01-11-06, 07:49 PM
kyle98GS
Driver

Default Removing Wood

I just recently did this to my wife's car she just got. I used a hair dryer and Goo Gone...i also used a plastic (non maring) tool used to pop off panels. It really helped start the edges so i could get a grip on it.

And as mentioned above, the entire kit will be destroyed....at least mine was. I still have a couple more pieces to take off.

Also i used an old towel to rub in the goo gone, the glue will stick into the fibers of the towel so you have to keep switiching to a new spot on the towel.....the small towel i used as glue schmegma all over it. The fluffier the towel the better. At least for me it was.

kyle
Old 01-11-06, 09:07 PM
samster
Pole Position

heat gun and fishin line remove it, and then degunk it with goo be gone, heat it up good then start to work it out

Quick Reply: removing wood trim kit.