GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Double DIN in dash DVD unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-06, 10:10 AM
Exsys2000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double DIN in dash DVD unit

This post consists of my installation of an aftermarket setup that I have found to be very nice and very economical. Most of the items came from ebay including the unit itself and the install kit. The head unit is a double DIN unit and has just about every feature except navigation. It has AM/FM tuner of course, but also has TV tuner, AUX audio/video input, camera input, has 6 pre-amp outputs including subwoofer and 4 line level outputs and connects to a 6 disc DVD changer that will play CD/DVD/MP3/VCD. The changer is controlled by the head unit or infrared remote. The head unit also features touch screen controls for all functions. There are many things I would change but for the price I paid, under $500, I will live with the few annoyances like not being able to play MP3 files in random order, not retaining the playing position on MP3 discs, not retaining the display mode and not being able to change a lot of the screen colors among other minor things. Among the pluses I can directly access any MP3 file by entering the file number into the remote and the ability to access 6 DVD movies without reloading. The changer does have an IP bus for connection to many other head units. The screen is a bit bright at night but it does have a night mode where the screen can be blank too. I have it connected to the factory speakers through the line level outputs and at 50w per channel it does an awesome job of creating loud and clear sound. Like many others have, I tried to utilize the factory amp but it is an integrated part of the factory head unit and actually control the volume through a digital interface between the factory amp and head unit. I had to find a Metra Toyota stereo harness to bypass the factory amp and bought a 200 watt amp (smallest I could find) just to power the subwoofer. I plan to mount the DVD changer where the factory one was and got close yesterday but ran out of time. My chances of success on that mounting are about 90% I think. I am not sure where to mount the amp. Under the seat does not provide much room. I may have to put it in the trunk.

I went to a New Years Eve party last night that ended up being outdoors because it was like 70 degrees here and I provided the music by chance from my MP3 disc. A lot of people were impressed with the sound quality as was I. The car shook from the bass. Not as much as big speaker systems of course but very very impressive from a single stock subwoofer.

The install kit was an AMI LXS-K1315 double DIN kit and the fit was perfect. I only had to trim a bit off each side to fit the screen through the opening. The fit was much better than the Metra kit I recently purchased which I had to spend time modifying to get it to fit correctly. I will update this as it gets closer to completion.

Here are some before and after pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Double DIN in dash DVD unit-1.jpg  
Old 01-01-06, 10:11 AM
Exsys2000
Driver

After picture
Attached Thumbnails Double DIN in dash DVD unit-2.jpg  
Old 01-01-06, 10:12 AM
Exsys2000
Driver

Another After picture
Attached Thumbnails Double DIN in dash DVD unit-3.jpg  
Old 01-01-06, 10:14 AM
Exsys2000
Driver

Another After picture 3
Attached Thumbnails Double DIN in dash DVD unit-4.jpg  
Old 01-01-06, 10:15 AM
Exsys2000
Driver

Another After picture 4
Attached Thumbnails Double DIN in dash DVD unit-5.jpg  
Old 01-01-06, 10:23 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice work
Old 01-01-06, 08:02 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Thanks. I was beginning to think no one noticed. It is not a super outrageous mod but it is something I put a lot of work into and feel pride in that I did it myself. I thought many would like the expensive features for the budget price. It is not a Pioneer AVIC-D1, those are still over a grand and don't even play DVDs. I would not own a motorized unit, I have seen what they look like after use for a while. Screens shake and rattle. Retraction and extension mechanisms work sluggish or not at all even on expensive units. Pardon me for being budget minded if that is wrong but I bought a Lexus because I knew it would last and be reliable making it less expensive in the long run. Many may say they would not put that junk in their car, they want name brands only but I prefer to stretch my buying dollars. This one works just fine for me and I can buy 3 of these systems for the price of one of the high dollar systems.

From experience, I find that movies keep me alert and awake when driving long distances as I get into it and only glance at the screen occasionally. I found this by driving an overnight 12 hour trip with my laptop on the passenger seat. It was not a problem and the trip was over before I knew it instead of continously wishing it was over. I also like the MP3 features too. Better than satellite radio in that the music is hand picked by me and I can fit 72 hours of music in the changer with no commercials. I don't have the TV antenna for it yet but I like the idea of being able to tune in to local traffic reports or the news if stuck in traffic.
Old 01-01-06, 08:20 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is an awesome install man Congrats

Jonny
Old 01-01-06, 08:23 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Very nice work!

Personally, I would never go with the high dollar systems either. Not because I'm cheap, well ok maybe I am a little cheap . Anyways, I just cant get myself to dish out $1500 just to get a good quality DVD and MP3 player. I'm going the CarPC route. It will proabably cost me somewhere around $600-700 in parts, and since I'm doing the labor myself...theres no cost for labor besides a few cuts and some lost blood.

The CarPc will be able to do DVD, games(for passengers of course), TV tuner, Navigation(cost a computer $50 to have this capability while it is a $500-1k add-on for the headunits!), video recording(would be nice to get a front bumper camera for the hell of it), most of all I can get online to check my email or browse the web anywehere on the road, and this is only the tip of the iceberg! By the way....all the stuff I just listed is factored in the $600-700 price range. Compare that to maybe $2500 for an alpine with half those features...

I have one question though, where did you get that double din mount kit?
Old 01-01-06, 08:38 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Default Double DIN install kit

I got the Double DIN install kit from my primary supplier, ebay. I hate the way install kits expect you to throw away the METAL factory brackets and replace them with weak plastic. However I refuse to go this route. On both installs for my 02 and my 98, I kept the factory brackets and fashioned ways to mount the aftermarket head units to the brackets then mount the kit to the brackets or the head unit. The kit I purchased was an AMI LXS-K1315. If you do a search on that model you should be able to find it. A recent search for that model showed kits that do not look like mine but I believe they are. The one I got showed the lower tray to be removable.

The picture below shows the install of the Pioneer head unit in my wife's 98 utilizing the factory brackets.
Attached Thumbnails Double DIN in dash DVD unit-8.jpg  
Old 01-01-06, 08:57 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

L-TunedParts.com has one but it was $45, I paid $10 for mine. L-Tuned one is here: http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1726 . That was the one that inspired me. I searched for the kit on ebay under "Lexus Double DIN" and found the one I bought. Then I started searching for Double DIN units and came up with many units. I bid on a few and was outbid on units that had only a single in unit DVD slot without the changer. Just for kicks, I bid on one with the changer and was amazed that I won it. I was much happier that I got the one with the changer.
Old 01-01-06, 11:55 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

wow that install looks great! nice job
Old 01-02-06, 04:51 AM
gregor4
Driver School Candidate

That's a sweet setup. cost effective too. I would like to install a similar setup in my Gs300 but everything that I want would be $1500 (NAV, sat radio, DVD). i may look into the CarPC route. Anybody know more about this that jefftsai was talking about.
Old 01-02-06, 06:32 AM
Exsys2000
Driver

Default Where to buy the Double DIN install kit

I have e-mailed the seller on ebay to see if he has or can get any more kits like mine but have yet to hear from him. I did a google search and found it at a decent price and the CORRECT kit here:

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/LXSK1315
http://www.inlandelectronics.com/lxsk1315.html
http://www.digitallyunique.com/lxsk1315.html

One part I forgot about was that the center bar must be cut out of both the face and the trim ring. It is not difficult and you really can't tell it was there if you file it down. It just must be there if used as a single DIN kit. That is the beauty of this kit. You can use it for single DIN right now if just doing a regular replacement and you can convert it to double DIN later when you upgrade without having to buy another kit. Also this kit is a perfect fit. It is much better than the Metra kit I put in the 98 GS 300.
Old 01-02-06, 07:53 AM
asci01
Pole Position

Congrads. Nice job !

P.S. You don't have to explain yourself for being budget minded.

Quick Reply: Double DIN in dash DVD unit