GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Trying to install aftermarket radio HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-05, 05:15 PM
criminalR1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trying to install aftermarket radio HELP!

I have a 98 GS400 w/nakamichi radio I am trying to put in a differant radio but I can not find an amp intagration wiring kit or a stereo wiring harness at all
The following users liked this post:
dsc300nat (03-23-20)
Old 12-17-05, 06:07 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nak radio instal

Please let me know how you resolve this. I too have the Nak system and want to replace the head unit for a double din NAVi unit.

I do not wish to replace the stock Nakamichi speakers or the stock Nak Amp or Sub.

Share your info as it is not clear in the search that it is covered well.

Thanks
b
Old 12-17-05, 06:17 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by criminalR1
I have a 98 GS400 w/nakamichi radio I am trying to put in a differant radio but I can not find an amp intagration wiring kit or a stereo wiring harness at all
There is no wiring harness available to the best of my knowlege. You will have to find the electrical manual to locate which wires are which.

Good Luck,
Jonny
Old 12-17-05, 06:28 PM
kikis-gs
Driver

bro you first must remove the panel under the glove box.then you must remove the glove box ..it should be in that area up in there some where ....goodluck
Old 12-17-05, 07:14 PM
criminalR1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can install the radio but I dont want to cut the harness
Old 12-17-05, 07:52 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

I can install the radio but I dont want to cut the harness
ur going to have to hack the harness u dont have a choice there is no aftermarket wireharness for it
Old 12-17-05, 08:33 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

I have the same problem here. I need to replace the Nakamichi unit in my 1998 GS300 with an aftermarket because of interference problems and the non-working cd changer. I have the harness for the speakers but it has appeared to me by searching for a pinout on this receiver that there is only 1 set of speaker outputs to the amp and the fader is controlled digitally some how. The closest but not exact schematic I have found is here: http://carstereohelp.net/wireharness_Lexus1.htm . I have the in dash installation kit and the Metra Toyota harness. By using a multi-meter, I was able to find the battery, accessory and ground wires to get the head unit to power up and I used spliced RCA connectors to connect to the pre-amp outputs of the head unit but I was not able to get sound. I believe this is because there was no output from the head unit to the turn on lead for the amp. When I have more time, I planned to determine which wire was the amp turn on lead. My intention was to never cut the factory harness but I am not sure why. I think somehow to maintain purity but I never intend to put a Nakamichi unit back in and I don't ever plan to sell the car. I was planning on using crimp on pin terminals and inserting them into the correct pins on the plugs then using shrink tubing to secure them in the plugs. It would help tremendously if someone can provide a proper pinout on all 4 plugs for the Nakamichi unit and I will be the first to attempt a connection using the crimp on pins and post the results here. It is not that important to me to have fader control if it is not possible. In all the years I have ever had fader control, I have never adjusted it.

Also I have the installation kit but I am not happy with it. The color is black while the climate control is gray/silver and it is not a good match. The kit is slightly wider than the climate control but I can sand the edges down to match. The new receiver is recessed into the kit giving it a poor appearance. Does anyone have an aftermarket kit they are happy with?

Does anyone have a good pinout diagram for this unit?
Old 12-17-05, 09:14 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I can help you as well. Like Lextpop said, grab a Lexus GS wire harness off Ebay for < 10.00 and you're all set. This one also works on my 99 ES300

No cutting involved!!!!!!!!! Plug it up to the amp's speaker output wire plugs shown here

And then wire up the speaker leads from your new headunit to the wire Metra harness you got off Ebay and you're on your way home!

Just keep in mind that you're gonna loose your factory sub output. Reason being you'll no longer be using the factory amp/radio to power the sub. You can replace it now with something much better. Some people here lucky enough to find free air subs for sale like the JL Audio ones easily swapped them out and got a nice 2 channel amp and used it to power the sub.

OR

You can grab a GOOD vented enclosure sub like the one I have (Cerwin VEga V104 10" 600w Max /300w RMS (92dB S/N) ) and send your neighbors packing lol

Once you have the amp tuned right/speaker adjusted properly, it sounds a gazillion times better than factory.

Here's my current audio system

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187864
Old 12-17-05, 09:31 PM
rjheard
Driver

I used a Toyota harness from Autozone. I did have to move a few pins but no cutting required.
Old 12-17-05, 09:55 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

It looks to me the procedure tiguy99 is outlining will bypass the factory amp. I like others want to utilize the factory amp. I think the reason I had no sound is that I did not connect the blue wire from the aftermarket head unit to the blue wire on the new harness which is power antenna jumped over to amp+. I also used RCA plugs to use pre-amp head unit outputs since I want to connect to the amp. I will try a modified setup tomorrow and let you know the results.

rjheard it would be great if you could tell us what pins you moved to where.
Old 12-18-05, 07:50 PM
rjheard
Driver

Originally Posted by LexTPOP
It looks to me the procedure tiguy99 is outlining will bypass the factory amp. I like others want to utilize the factory amp. I think the reason I had no sound is that I did not connect the blue wire from the aftermarket head unit to the blue wire on the new harness which is power antenna jumped over to amp+. I also used RCA plugs to use pre-amp head unit outputs since I want to connect to the amp. I will try a modified setup tomorrow and let you know the results.

rjheard it would be great if you could tell us what pins you moved to where.
I only moved the power and ground. I am not using the factory amp so not much help here. GL
Old 12-30-05, 12:46 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Default Success!

I did change the head unit in my 1998 Lexus GS 300. It was not easy but the sound is incredible and I am using the 7 factory speakers and the factory amp. PM me and I will send you the PDF I made showing the entire process.
Old 01-21-06, 08:53 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

I'm going to replace my whole system (headunit, amp, all speakers). At the moment I only have the headunit (Eclipse AVN5435) and amp (JL Audio e6450). I have not ordered the speakers yet but the wiring kit for the amp is on the way. I'm an impatient person so today I tried installing my new headunit using the stock amp and speakers but I just couldn't figure out what the inputs were to the stock nak amp. After a few hours I gave up and decided to wait til I get the rest of the stuff in.
Old 01-22-06, 08:28 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexTPOP
I did change the head unit in my 1998 Lexus GS 300. It was not easy but the sound is incredible and I am using the 7 factory speakers and the factory amp. PM me and I will send you the PDF I made showing the entire process.
Why dont you post the PDF so if anyone needs it in the future they can find it by searching for this thread?
Old 01-22-06, 06:50 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Originally Posted by jtgs400
I'm going to replace my whole system (headunit, amp, all speakers). At the moment I only have the headunit (Eclipse AVN5435) and amp (JL Audio e6450). I have not ordered the speakers yet but the wiring kit for the amp is on the way. I'm an impatient person so today I tried installing my new headunit using the stock amp and speakers but I just couldn't figure out what the inputs were to the stock nak amp. After a few hours I gave up and decided to wait til I get the rest of the stuff in.
I feel your pain. I spent several hours testing, connecting, metering etc. until I finally got it. PM me your e-mail address and I will send you the PDF that will get you going.

Quick Reply: Trying to install aftermarket radio HELP!