GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tilt on Sunroof is open and won't close

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 08:52 AM
skins990
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tilt on Sunroof is open and won't close

Hi,

For some odd reason my tilt on my sunroof as been acting up. I have been having this problem for a while but have fixed it back pushing down on the sunroof while reaching in my car and pushing on the close tilt button. The motor works as it tries to close it but then it will just go back open again. Now I am noticing that the motor is only pulling one side on the sunroof down?

So I have tried my technique of pressing down on the sunroof to close it and no luck at all. Before I didn't notice only one side trying to go in so I guess now something esle is wrong. And I am not going to take this to the dealer as I am a senior in college with only 5 of my 6 exams left for the fall semester

But if anybody can guide me on either how to take the whole thing apart or other methods of fixing this problem it would be great. I just want to get the thing to close as it has been open for two days now and we have had some rain but luckly enough I got a parking space on an uphill slope so the water runs down off my car.

Thanks guys

Oh, yea, it's 98
Old 07-11-13, 10:29 PM
HrdPrkDGS4
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is old but my sunroof just took a **** and wont close anyone know its tilted up and wants to move down anyone have a diy or a way to fix it
Old 07-15-13, 05:33 AM
damiendada
Rookie

I had a sunroof problem as well. Mine would not tilt or open but I cud hear the motor kick in briefly. I removed the glass and used WD40 on the arms and track moving it back and forth and surly it moved. I then bought a tube of grease and lubed it up. Problem solved.
How that helps.
Old 07-15-13, 06:11 PM
HrdPrkDGS4
Driver

Wish I would have known, I took it in and they sprayed wd40 and it works.they didnt charge me anything just spent the whole day there
Old 07-15-13, 06:39 PM
damiendada
Rookie

Well at least you got the desired result.
Old 07-15-13, 09:41 PM
HrdPrkDGS4
Driver

Yeah ... thanks next time I know and this may help another membet
Old 07-16-13, 11:04 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Your either lacking lubrication on the weatherstrip seal on the the moonroof glass, lubrication on the tracks, or your internal cable broke off in the track and it won't retract. If it is were the cable broke inside the whole headliner has to come out along with the track. It is a very expensive job and if you can't fork out the $1000 plus job try and push it back down to where it stays shut.
Old 09-11-13, 07:28 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Unhappy

My sunroof looked like this last weekend:

Source

I managed to finally push the [same corner as pic] down so it's flat with the roof. In the process, I snapped the plastic trim from its tabs [beneath glass] soooo that's going to be $30-40 out my pocket to replace. Like the other posters in this thread, I hear the motor do its thing then stop.

ANNNYWWAAY, during these hot summer days of Florida all year round, I began to notice the weatherstrip sound like it's peeling like velcro when I try to open or tilt it.

So! Should I remove the other plastic trim to expose the rails and also remove the glass to further my investigation?

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Your either lacking lubrication on the weatherstrip seal on the the moonroof glass, lubrication on the tracks...
What kind of lube would you use for the weatherstrip, track, etc.? WD40 seems like a good idea but it sounds like something I'd have to do often. Should I look into white lithium grease? You don't live too far from me, SHOLEXMAN. C-can we meet up to figure this out? uguu ;__;

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Phamboogie; 09-11-13 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-12-13, 09:09 AM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

WD40 works just as fine. Yerrrrp.
Old 06-27-17, 08:24 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by damiendada
I had a sunroof problem as well. Mine would not tilt or open but I cud hear the motor kick in briefly. I removed the glass and used WD40 on the arms and track moving it back and forth and surly it moved. I then bought a tube of grease and lubed it up. Problem solved.
How that helps.
hoe did you remove the glass?
Old 06-27-17, 08:26 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine looks identical. Simply push down for real?
Originally Posted by Phamboogie
My sunroof looked like this last weekend:

Mine looks identical. You simply pushed down on it for real?

My sunroof looks identical to this, slightly ajar and sloped. Simply push it down works?

Source

I managed to finally push the [same corner as pic] down so it's flat with the roof. In the process, I snapped the plastic trim from its tabs [beneath glass] soooo that's going to be $30-40 out my pocket to replace. Like the other posters in this thread, I hear the motor do its thing then stop.

ANNNYWWAAY, during these hot summer days of Florida all year round, I began to notice the weatherstrip sound like it's peeling like velcro when I try to open or tilt it.

So! Should I remove the other plastic trim to expose the rails and also remove the glass to further my investigation?

What kind of lube would you use for the weatherstrip, track, etc.? WD40 seems like a good idea but it sounds like something I'd have to do often. Should I look into white lithium grease? You don't live too far from me, SHOLEXMAN. C-can we meet up to figure this out? uguu ;__;

Thanks for your help!