GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Alternative to absence of e-shift on GS430.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-01, 01:22 PM
GSman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the GS430 no longer have e-shift capability does anyone manually use the shifter? I know it probably is not as quick as e-shift but you still get better control over the shift points or do you think its a waste and you should stick with auto. Another difference I just thought of is I think e-shift has built in logic which prevents someone from doing something stupid resulting in damage to the tranny, wheras your on your own with using the shifter manually.

Also, do you manually shift on GS430 for better launches?

Any comments or your experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 07-31-01, 07:34 PM
gsexploits
Driver

GSMan,

I have the same ride and use the shifter manually all the time. Mostly between 3,4 and 5. I have used 2 when wanting to get on it. Don't use 1-5 as the gate is a bit ackward from 1-3.

I haven't found this out, but my other car has a rev limiter so it will cut the engine when over-reving occurs in any gear (over redline). Not sure if GS does this or not.

Personally, I think the electronics of the automatic can shift faster than you can manually. If you are looking to hold revs longer, then power will do it - just launch from 3 in power mode and shift out of 3 when you hit the power curve.

Unrelated, I see you have the PIAA super plasma wedge and super white high bulbs. Are they close to our HID? I really want to get rid of the "yellow" affect. I picked up some other bulbs and am not happy with them - seem like the DRL are not as bright with the Xenon bulbs vs. stock, even though the stock is more yellow. What's your experience?
Old 07-31-01, 08:35 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by gsexploits
GSMan,

I haven't found this out, but my other car has a rev limiter so it will cut the engine when over-reving occurs in any gear (over redline). Not sure if GS does this or not.

Yes, the GS has a rev limiter. Don't be afraid to rev the engine higher to its power band. Lot more responsive there. I do it when I'm at the track in my GS400 with E-shift.
Old 07-31-01, 11:47 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default Commercial

The latest GS commercial with the guy getting out of the car for a breather shows him manual shifting while going in the turns. I dont use the Eshift that often, only when im about to pass someone and need the extra edge, but almost always it gets the job done with it's 300 ponies in auto mode.

Old 08-01-01, 04:22 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Like gsexploits, I tend to shift manually in 3-4-5 when I'm in more of a performance mood. "Power" mode still upshifts sooner and downshifts later than I might prefer when I'm using part throttle. All things happen at redline, of course, at WOT.

Things sound hideous when bouncing off the rev limiter, but that's what it's there for.......no damage done.
Old 08-01-01, 09:11 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Thanks for everyones comments. So it sounds like you can still have fun manually shifting in the GS430 and have the protection of the rev limiter.

GSEXPLOITS

The wedge bulbs are close enough to the HID with a slight blue tint. The Super White high beams are whiter than stock, however as DRL they still have the yellowish/orange color since they are running at a much lower wattage. Don't think you can do anything about that unless you get a blue tinted bulb.

QBRANCHCAR

I see that you take your GS to the track. I am debating whether to get the LSD. Is the LSD only noticeable when your pushing it on the track or will you notice it in normal driving? Also, is it advisable/safe to do track runs without a brake upgrade? I've heard the stock are susceptible to fade and warping.

Thanks,