GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 08:49 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS430 Battery Replacement

Apparently, my car needs to have the battery replaced. I had to jump start it this morning. It now has the VSC, ABS and VSC off lights on. I took it to a friend who works on my cars, but has never touched a Lexus. (Didn't think a battery replacement would be too complicated) He tells me that there may be a key code for the radio? and he may need to hook up a power box before unhooking the battery? I have never seen anything like this in the service info I have read. Anyone know anything about this. I figure the codes will reset when the battery is disconnected.
Thanks
Bill
Old 10-31-05, 08:52 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

There is no keycode for the radio. Depending on whether your car has Nav or not, you may lose radio settings, power seat memory and clock settings. The garage door opener will still work.
Old 10-31-05, 08:57 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
There is no keycode for the radio. Depending on whether your car has Nav or not, you may lose radio settings, power seat memory and clock settings. The garage door opener will still work.
Thanks Dave
That's just what I thought. No need to make a simple job any more complicated.
Bill
Old 10-31-05, 08:58 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
. The garage door opener will still work.
thank god, that thing is a b#tch to program.

Billh2-not to freak you out, but when my battery died and I jumped it the VSC, ABS and VSC off lights did not come on.
Old 10-31-05, 11:10 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2001 has a factory original 84 month battery in it. I would imagine you have the same thing. Why would an 84 month battery need to be replaced in 48+ months? You might want to check. If you have an 84 month and it is going out, Lexus should give you a new one even if your car is out of warranty. Also, as far as your VSC, VSC Off lights go. That just happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I took it to a local shop here that specializes in Lexus and they said it was a misfire code and that there was a recall for that. They reset the computer and I have been good ever since. If it happens again they told me to take it to a Lexus dealer so they can fix it under the recall. I don't know if this is what is going on with yours but you may want to get it checked out. Also, take a look at your battery to see what type you have.
Old 10-31-05, 01:35 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TexasGS
My 2001 has a factory original 84 month battery in it. I would imagine you have the same thing. Why would an 84 month battery need to be replaced in 48+ months? You might want to check. If you have an 84 month and it is going out, Lexus should give you a new one even if your car is out of warranty. Also, as far as your VSC, VSC Off lights go. That just happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I took it to a local shop here that specializes in Lexus and they said it was a misfire code and that there was a recall for that. They reset the computer and I have been good ever since. If it happens again they told me to take it to a Lexus dealer so they can fix it under the recall. I don't know if this is what is going on with yours but you may want to get it checked out. Also, take a look at your battery to see what type you have.

This car was originally sold in Canada. I have been told by Lexus that since it is a "non US" car, anything pertaining to recalls or warranty will have to be done in Canada. So much for that great "Lexus service" When I asked them to explain to me what the difference was between a US and Canadian produced car, they said other than the climate control and speedo being calibrated in Metric units, nothing. Same car in every other aspects. They even share the same owners manuals. (the Canadian car has headlight washers and no compass in the mirror) If I had know that, I might have not bought it. (Probably still would have, since I positively LOVE the Cinnabar exterior with the Black Leather interior) So far, it has behaved flawlessly. Replacing the battery solved the VSS and ABS light issue.