GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Strange Smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 12:36 AM
lags2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange Smell

when I turn the A/C off, there is strange smell coming out (like something sour and humid).

Is there anyone has the same problem?

Old 09-30-05, 04:38 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would normally say replace the Air Filter in the cabin but your profile shows an 06 GS so if I were you, I'd have the dealer look at it.
Old 09-30-05, 06:43 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

You live in LA: the outside air is actually sour and humid.

Normally the air filter smells when you turn the AC on. You can buy a new one for ~$40 or make your own. I've since started using even higher grade filters (purple Filtrete) and am very pleased with the results.

Last edited by jonathancl; 09-30-05 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-30-05, 11:40 AM
lags2006
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by rheiy
I would normally say replace the Air Filter in the cabin but your profile shows an 06 GS so if I were you, I'd have the dealer look at it.
I go back to the dealer two months ago, they purify my car, but two days ago, the smell come back again. And they said, if I go back with the same problem, they will charge me.
Old 09-30-05, 01:59 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lags2006
I go back to the dealer two months ago, they purify my car, but two days ago, the smell come back again. And they said, if I go back with the same problem, they will charge me.
what did the dealer mean by purify and what did they do to fix it
Old 09-30-05, 07:20 PM
lags2006
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

I think they clean the air condition system.

Today, I conduct a test. I turn off the A/C and turn the fan to max, after 1 minutes, there is no smell. And then I turn on the A/C for 10 minutes on the way to work. When I come back from my office, I turn A/C off again, then the smell comes back.
Old 09-30-05, 10:13 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Basically, there could be mold build up at the condensor so that's probably what the dealer did is to clean that area. To my knowledge, either the cabin filter or the mold at the condensor can cause the bad smell so start with the filter first and then the condensor if problem still persist...it is happening to my 01 GS also so i think i will go the DIY filter route.....
Old 09-30-05, 10:45 PM
esoterik
Driver School Candidate

I remember reading about some guy that owned an M45 that had this same problem... cept for the sour smell was there all the time.

Turns out it was mold/mildew in the a/c system, which the dealer told him that never comes out. You can purify it as much as you want but it won't go away.
Old 09-30-05, 11:00 PM
LexusIV
Pole Position

What setting do you use on your climate control? If you use recirculate or auto and the sensitivity is set too high so that it recirculates your cool, damp, air all the time then your creating a perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew inside your a/c. If this is the case then you may want to try useing the setting that brings in outside air and maybe help dry up the system.

Just a thought. Good luck hope the smell goes away.
Old 09-30-05, 11:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Hank what year GS do you have? Is it a 2006?

Try this product (earlier in the thread) or method (later in the thread)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/81943-mildew-smell-from-ac.html
Old 10-01-05, 12:38 AM
lags2006
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your reply!

I will see the details of every way you post.
Old 10-03-05, 02:30 PM
gs300utah
Driver School Candidate

Wink remedy for sour smell from AC

had the same problem living in Phoenix where AC is a way of life...dealer said most likely mold related and showed me quick/short-term fix. With AC running open hood and spray Lysol disinfectant (recommend unscented) into air-intake vents located in front of wiper assembly. You'll see the cross-hatched vent grill, one on each side. Don't go too heavy on the Lysol spray .
It may take several applications to eliminate the oder completely. This works but eventually the oder may return with extended AC use. Tip: Shut-off AC and allow air to circulate before parking.
I recall another thread posted about a year ago re: the problem indeed being mold related and flushing the AC system to eliminate. Hope this works for you.

Last edited by gs300utah; 10-03-05 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-03-05, 11:08 PM
lags2006
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs300utah
had the same problem living in Phoenix where AC is a way of life...dealer said most likely mold related and showed me quick/short-term fix. With AC running open hood and spray Lysol disinfectant (recommend unscented) into air-intake vents located in front of wiper assembly. You'll see the cross-hatched vent grill, one on each side. Don't go too heavy on the Lysol spray .
It may take several applications to eliminate the oder completely. This works but eventually the oder may return with extended AC use. Tip: Shut-off AC and allow air to circulate before parking.
I recall another thread posted about a year ago re: the problem indeed being mold related and flushing the AC system to eliminate. Hope this works for you.

Thanks a lot!

This is a good tip.

But I have another Acura without this problem, Lexus should have higher quality, right?
Old 10-04-05, 08:39 AM
gs300utah
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

one would expect but there are times I wonder....wish I understood the AC system then perhaps the problem could be pinpointed. The dealership I purchased my gs from in AZ was readily aware of a pervasive problem but unwilling to address it beyond the mold explanation and Lysol treatment. The dealership here in SLC was also familiar was this issue and offered (at my expense) to remedy it despite extended warranty. I passed....
again check previous threads dealing with this issue.
Old 10-04-05, 09:15 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

problem fixed

this is what to do; start the car, turn on the A/C turn off the recurculating button and go with the one that has the arrow pointing down ( this opens the system allowing it to breathe)

Get some "Ozium" while the vehicle's A/C is on, spray some Ozium on the waffle looking grilles under the windshield, right above the hood.

this should kill the mold smell. for future prevention, make sure you don't always run your a/c in recurculating....better yet, simply go back to that other button( arrow pointing down) 5 minutes before you get home at night.... alowing it to breathe, prevents mold

Quick Reply: Strange Smell