GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Borla Exhaust Tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-05, 03:02 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts
Default Borla Exhaust Tips

DrewGS4 hooked me up with tips for $120 shipped. I didn't understand how they attached with clamps; it's very clever.

The tips:

Before:

Getting this tips off was a bit of a project after 65k miles. It's hard to get in there with a hammer to bang without having the car up in the air, so I did a lot of jiggling and pulling. Once I had some play, I was able to rock it up and down, gaining a milimeter or so each time. The stock tips are so thin and cheap, makes me wonder why they didn't spring for something more sustantial in the first place.

Half way:

After:

Last edited by jonathancl; 09-07-05 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-01-05, 03:09 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Clamps? I would rather get them welded on.
Old 09-01-05, 03:12 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Maybe later. I like being able to go back to stock in a pinch.
Old 09-01-05, 03:16 PM
HoracioGS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tips look nice....you're going to have to tell us if they make any rattling noises.
Old 09-01-05, 04:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
Clamps? I would rather get them welded on.
my thoughts as well
Old 09-01-05, 05:29 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welding would be better. i've heard of theifs that prey on these tips.
Old 09-02-05, 07:38 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say have them welded on. I'd feel safer knowing that they won't rattle or be stolen because you can't just loosen them off.

How much does it cost to have a set welded on?
Old 09-02-05, 09:53 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a recent thread up in this gs forum with a poll about those exact tips i just installed and whether or not i should keep em. i think most of you saw it but if some of you are stil looking for before and after pics, just check out that thread i have them all in there or ill just throw them in here. also,they dont rattle at all but im going to get them welded on in a week or so because i need to have one of the pipes straighted out anyway (previous owner backed into a parking curb i think and pushed it in a little so its not quite even with the other side)...very good point on these getting stolen...in my area though, lots of people would not bother to think these would be clamped on and could be removed so easily, so most people wouldnt even bother getting down under the car to look to see if they could take them off because its commonplace (isn't it?) to always weld tips on...but watch, ill be the first one to get them yanked before i have a chance to get them welded lofl.
Attached Thumbnails Borla Exhaust Tips-stockvsborla-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-02-05, 10:03 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For added security, you can have them TAC welded. Midas will charge your around $20 bucks to get it done.
It really comes down to the area you live and the kind of places you park your car. I only know of one guy from CL that got one of the two tips stolen from a college parking lot.

Once clamped into place, they will not rattle and is impossible to pull off. You need a screwdriver to unloosen the clamp.

Bottom line, is that thiefs are everywhere.....my HID's from my previous Acura TL was stolen on 2 separate occasions. The first time it was stolen out of a secured parking lot. and the second time it was stolen out of a mall parking lot.
Old 09-07-05, 10:03 AM
jonathancl
Racer

I like the tack welding idea: permanent enough to prevent theft but not to prevent restoration for future sale. No Rattles; the clamps are pretty serious.

I'm thinking about a chrome trunk bar now, to complete the look. JP tails would be super as well, but I'm not comfortable with $1000 cosmetic changes.

Now I have an issue that was an issue before, but it didn't bother me until now: the exhaust hangs lower on the left, always has. It does not appear that anything is bent, and the rubber rings appear to be in the same shape on both sides. It does not appear that there is an adjustment anywhere. How do I fix it?

Last edited by jonathancl; 09-14-05 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 11:04 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

New rubber hangers should do the trick. Too much flex in your old ones. If you get too small of a hanger it will pull the exhaust up....get a few different sizes and see what works.
Old 09-07-05, 11:36 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
I like the tack welding idea: permanent enough to prevent theft but not to prevent restoration for future sale. I've heard no noise; I think these are secure.

I'm thinking about a chrome trunk bar now, to complete the look. JP tails would be super as well, but I'm not comfortable with $1000 cosmetic changes.

Now I have an issue that was an issue before, but it didn't bother me until now: the exhaust hangs lower on the left, always has. It does not appear that anything is bent, and the rubber rings appear to be in the same shape on both sides. It does not appear that there is an adjustment anywhere. How do I fix it?
and i thought i was the only retard with a screwy looking exhaust...i wonder if its that way from the factory...same exact thing, my left side...i sort of screwed around with the tips to make it look like they are pretty even now, i had to slide one on a little more than the other, but it does still sit a little higher then the other side..and im a perfectionist so it does drive me nuts lol.
Old 09-07-05, 02:43 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
and i thought i was the only retard...
Are you calling me a retard?
Old 09-07-05, 02:56 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Originally Posted by DrewGS4
New rubber hangers should do the trick. ...get a few different sizes and see what works.
I see Advance Auto Parts has a few listed as 'rubber donut hanger'.

Will they have the size range I'll need, or does the dealer have a better selection?
Is that even possible?
Old 09-07-05, 02:57 PM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me Too!

We should get a "screwy left side exhaust" club or something because as soon as i put my tips on i was like I think Drew has a monopoly on the production of those rubber hangy things and Borla exhaust tips its a conspiracy

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust Tips