GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Error code P0446

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 12:24 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Error code P0446

Just got CEL turned on with error code P0446 which is something related to emission control. I talked with dealer but they told me it won't be covered by powertran warranty. Anyone had this problem before? How to get it fixed?

I may have to go to some local garages instead of being ripped off by the stealer
Old 08-09-05, 12:42 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the exhaust/emissions stuff has a longer warranty than drivetrain.....
Old 08-10-05, 08:15 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

I made an appointment with the dealer to check out the car. They told me it might take a day so they offered me the loaner. Should I take it since my car is out of warranty, will they charge me for the loaner? May be $40 for ES, $45 for IS and $50 for RX
Old 08-10-05, 09:47 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charge for a loaner?
Old 08-10-05, 11:34 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
Charge for a loaner?
That's my thought too. I've never paid for the loaner before but this is the 1st time I went back to dealer after my warranty expired. So my Q is, since I have to pay for the repair, do I pay for the loaner too?
Old 08-10-05, 02:02 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

My car has been out of warranty for a lil while now, and I've never had to pay for a loaner. I doubt they will make you do that.
Old 08-10-05, 02:22 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JacobT
That's my thought too. I've never paid for the loaner before but this is the 1st time I went back to dealer after my warranty expired. So my Q is, since I have to pay for the repair, do I pay for the loaner too?
yea, it's usually up to the service writer's discretion. IF you bought your vehicle there, they obviously treat you better. I, however, did not, and had to rent a little econobox last time I needed some work.
Old 08-10-05, 04:59 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Just got CEL turned on with error code P0446 which is something related to emission control. I talked with dealer but they told me it won't be covered by powertran warranty. Anyone had this problem before? How to get it fixed?

I may have to go to some local garages instead of being ripped off by the stealer
446 is usually gas cap try tightening it.
Old 08-11-05, 09:24 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by koolaidman
446 is usually gas cap try tightening it.
I have reset the CEL, tighted up the gas cap 3 times. and it came back on after about 30 miles. Do you think I should go ahead and buy a new gas cap or there's something really wrong with the emission system/
Old 08-11-05, 11:40 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I have reset the CEL, tighted up the gas cap 3 times. and it came back on after about 30 miles. Do you think I should go ahead and buy a new gas cap or there's something really wrong with the emission system/
That gasket/seal around the cap might be gettin old then. You might want to try replacing that first. I had that problem with my ES a few years ago. I was worried I'd have to shell out a few extra coins for a major fix, but it turned out that replacing the entire cap did the trick.
Old 08-11-05, 01:29 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i had something similar to that last year. i forgot exactly what code what i got was, but it was emissions. it turned out my charcoal canister was bad and needed to be replaced. get this, if it is emission problems, LEXUS SHOULD NOT CHARGE YOU AT ALL TO FIX. IT SHOULD BE FREE. many of us have received letters from lexus stating that they have extended emissions warranties to 10 years now. mention that to the dealer. don't let them steal your money!

edit:
found this for you:

P0446
EVAP Emission Control System Vent Control Malfunction

THIS WAS THE SAME CODE I HAD AND IT WAS THE CHARCOAL CANISTER. if you pay out of your own pocket, it should cost you around 500 i believe.

now that i think about it, i'm not sure if it was a nation extended emissions warranty or only a california extended. i'll check when i get home from work today.

Last edited by GSquicksilver; 08-11-05 at 01:34 PM. Reason: more info found
Old 08-11-05, 10:02 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

try gettin a new gas cap. sorry i cant really diag it very well over the internet. ive got ways to check it if i had the lexus scanner. but who ever said char. can. could be correct. try doin the cheap way. as for it beeing under war. i believe that is not covered by 8/80 (witch the gov mandates) but check with ur lexus dealer they will give u a better answer on warr. rules
Old 08-12-05, 04:00 AM
2jzfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Yeah my gs did this last night. I took it up to autozone and got that code. I wasn't too worried about it, until i saw that reply about 500 bux. yikes! Another thing is that the tree hugging system on my 99 is quite a bit different than my 92 I think the canister is actually under the car.. I'll do some more research and see. If anyone finds anything out or has some other info, please post....
Old 08-12-05, 06:40 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Thanks for the inputs. I will check with the dealer today for more details. I'll keep you updated.
Old 08-12-05, 11:56 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Here's the update:

Stopped by dealer and talked with the service mgr. He promised to charge me 1/2 hr for diagnosis. If they found somthing that's not covered under warranty, he'd call and let me know the charge. So I picked up a loaner and drove to work.

After lunch, he called me and said they did a pressure test on the emission system and could not find any problem so they reset the system and my car is ready to go. Just picked it up, hope the CEL won't come back any more

2jz,

I also checked with him, the charcoal canister is not covered under the emission warranty. Only the cat. convert is.

Quick Reply: Error code P0446