GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Power Door locks not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-05, 10:41 PM
Shnerez420
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Door locks not working properly

I dont know if this belongs here or electronics but Ill find out soon enough...
The right side front and back door locks arnt working properly as of today. They have had no problem before but out of nowhere I realized my car wasnt beeping while I hit the lock on my key as usual.
I realized it wasnt beeping because the door locks on the right side wernt working. After closer inspection I could see that the locks had little to no movement when I hit the lock button... sometimes they would lock all the way, sometimes only move slightly. Most of the time I tried to unlock it, it worked well but not always...
Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe the linkage inside came loose, but both the front and the back at the same time is very weird.
Thanks for any suggestions and feedback!
Old 07-05-05, 04:00 AM
Shnerez420
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ceoart1
The Door Lock Actuator has Internal Open
What does that mean?
Is that something I can usually find here on CL in the for sales?
Is it one actuator per door or one for the whole car or one for each side of the car?
Thanks!
Old 07-05-05, 06:24 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a door acuator is one unit and it locks and unlocks your door. there is one acuator per door. this is a very common problem gs' and by doing a seach, you'll get a lot of info.

most cl members buys the acuator from carson toyota and have their mechanic do the job. you can do it yourself but it's a bit complicated and you need the right tools so it's better to pay someone.
Old 07-05-05, 07:16 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In short - installation is a serious PITA!!

Jonny
Old 07-05-05, 09:31 PM
98LexusGS
Driver

Default Can anyone recommend mechanic?

I have the same problem. I'll buy the part but I need to know if there's anybody in Anaheim that could do it for a reasonable price. My mechanic can probably do it but he's so backed up right now - it's not a critical repair.
Old 07-05-05, 09:34 PM
Shnerez420
Lead Lap

Oddly enough, this morning when I went to my car this problem stopped out of nowhere!
Last night it was incredibly foggy and hunid out and maybe that played a role in all of it...
For now I guess Im good but soon I may have to address this.
Old 07-05-05, 11:01 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Im starting to have that same problem as well.... GREAT...

and when you say a PITA install... how bad are we talking. Like bad enough that if you dont get it right, youll have to buy another piece, or just time consuming?

I can handle time consuming...
Old 07-06-05, 10:31 AM
HoracioGS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing happens to me....one time the actuator may work, and 1 hour later the actuator may not work...i don't think the weather has anything to do with it.
Old 07-06-05, 11:07 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shnerez420
Oddly enough, this morning when I went to my car this problem stopped out of nowhere!
Last night it was incredibly foggy and hunid out and maybe that played a role in all of it...
For now I guess Im good but soon I may have to address this.
I've had the same problem. I'm not sure why it happens. If doors don't lock properly with the remote...you don't get the beep... it won't lock properly using the key-in-lock manually either. Wait a couple of minutes and the system (computer?) seems to reset itself and works normally again...this had been true every time and it's happened to me at least 6 times over the last year.

Last edited by bmgs400; 07-07-05 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-07-05, 06:02 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Happened again yesterday evening and this morning. Seems that if I get out and lock its ok. But if I do a double turn of the key to open all doors then quickly do a lock, only the driver door I'm using will lock. Wait about 30 seconds then all doors lock when I turn the key. Must be a bug in the computer.
Old 07-07-05, 05:49 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually did the swap myself and i'm not a guru or anything like that but it wasn't that hard now that I know how to do it. i did a small write up on the steps to get this done a month ago or so. i'll try to find that thread.
The following 3 users liked this post by bluelex:
JFU99GS400 (07-08-20), mnedripper (12-28-19), tiguy99 (04-05-19)
Old 07-15-05, 01:35 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bmgs400
Happened again yesterday evening and this morning. Seems that if I get out and lock its ok. But if I do a double turn of the key to open all doors then quickly do a lock, only the driver door I'm using will lock. Wait about 30 seconds then all doors lock when I turn the key. Must be a bug in the computer.
Well my problem is getting worse. Everyday occurance. Problem doesn't happen in the morning since I can unlock and lock all doors ok...only happens during the day. My 30 second wait theory doesn't work. Maybe it is heat related since it's darn hot here and my car is black. I'm still investigating and experimenting.

What's confusing me is since the locks do work ok in the morning, what's causing them to act weak during the day?
Old 07-15-05, 01:38 PM
Shnerez420
Lead Lap

My problem is also rather spuradic. I also agree that its heat related but I think when people slam my passanger door in the heat it happens.
I have to contact my warranty to get them to change it or fix it but I havnt gotten around to it. Once I find out what the problem was and what they do to remedy it I will post it here.
Old 08-19-05, 12:18 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

The problem is definitely heat related. When my car sits in the sun, on a hot day, for a while the locks do not work properly. This I conclude after more than a month of logging when I have problems with locking/unlocking doors. Having a black car makes it worse..I'm sure.

Locks work when:
a) the car has been cooled by sitting in the garage.
b) the car has been cooled by an afternoon rain shower..happens very frequently here in St.Pete and always helps cure the problem.
c) out at night.

Would replacing the lock actuators really help? Are the replacements different than stock...if so, should this be covered by Lexus..warranty or not?

Last edited by bmgs400; 08-19-05 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-19-05, 12:24 PM
Shnerez420
Lead Lap

I second that!
The hotter it is, the less my passenger side doors work!
Further, when someone slams my passenger doors in the heat it stops working temporarily.
ANy idears?

Quick Reply: Power Door locks not working properly