GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What kit is that in the gallery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-01, 06:16 PM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys - I wanted to know - what kit is on the aristo v300 in the picture gallery. I like the subtle lines. It looks like the Zairez kit posted on www.gtautosports.com. I have tried to contact that david guy from GT - but it seems he likes to not sell things. Never responds quickly, if at all.

Picture is in the GS gallery # 228-2

Hope someone can help ...

Thanks alot.

Khanh

2001 GS430, NAV/ML, Fact. Spoiler, 17", H&R/Bilstein.

Old 06-18-01, 06:23 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the guy at GTautosports doesn't seem to reply very often unfortunatly, i would suggest trying to find the kit from someone else.
Old 06-18-01, 08:53 PM
bishop
Rookie

I have worked with David at GTautosports several times and he has always come through for me.

Try this email address: david@gtautosports.com
Old 06-18-01, 09:34 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you talkin about that gold-brownish colored GS with the V300 engine?

I think that's the OEM/TRD kit. You can get that from Hiro.

http://store.yahoo.com/lexusparts/
Old 06-19-01, 12:39 AM
Aristov3o0
Pole Position

that is the auto couture kit. I can get it for you. Im starting a online business so i can get you a good price. let me know.

Aristov3o0@aol.com

GlobeCLK: your looking at thew wrong pic. its way more in the back. its the sliver aristo v300 from japan. it has a auto couture kit.
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-01, 02:13 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Aristov3o0

GlobeCLK: your looking at thew wrong pic. its way more in the back. its the sliver aristo v300 from japan. it has a auto couture kit.

oh ok.

I guess i didn't go back enough pages.
Old 06-19-01, 04:56 AM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Default Auto-Couture.

Hey Aristo - Thanks for the help, but I don't think that is it either. The front spoiler doesn't look the same as the Silver Car #228-2 in the gallery. You are naming the correct car from the gallery. the bottom grill is changed in your pic and in the silver car in the gallery it looks like the original.

Here is what it looks like to me. See attached pic below. But I was told by david at gtautoports the Zairez is hard to get right now. Haven't heard of replica on this kit yet. Besides I don't want fiberglass front spoiler.

I hope this helps in my search. You guys are very helpful - thanks.

khanh
Attached Thumbnails What kit is that in the gallery?-ag161fr-1-.jpg  
Old 06-19-01, 06:15 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Why would you want to get a "Replica" kit?

Contrary to popular believe, Fiberglass will not explode on you if you hit a bump...I've had fiberglass kits before and in order to break a good quality kit (not those cheezy knock-off kits of kits made by POS vendors), you would have it hit it pretty hard...if you hit a urathane kit as hard, you would probably wrinkle or pop your paint...in which case, you'll have to repaint it anyhow...Plus, fiberglass is easily FIXABLE. I've see people fix and paint a broken front bumper in one day (quick turn around for a car show).

The bottom line is, don't let the material be your deciding factor...if you HAVE to have urathane, you'll find that your choices are VERY limited. If you want to preserve your kit, just drive carefully. Don't drive your car like a 4x4.
Old 06-19-01, 09:05 AM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Manaray,

The reason for a replica, is because david @ gtautoports told me it would take a while to get this kit and he recommended a replica if I wanted it any sooner.

You seem to know a lot about lexus parts and stuff - do you know of anyone besides GTAutosports that can get this kit.

Thanks again for the help and input.

I notice you hate knockoffs of anything. Newbies like me wouldn't know a knockoff from the originals. Its all foreign to me

Khanh
Old 06-19-01, 11:29 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

When it comes to bodykit knockoffs, i have to disagree with Manaray. The material quality of a true body kit vs. a knockoff klt is not as crucial as compared to wheels.

It is very important to buy good quality wheels because there is a risk factor and a danger factor involved. However, true body kits don't prevent dangerous situations as opposed to knockoffs. In fact all true body kits are OVERpriced IMO...If a knockoff company can produce the same style for a far less price, then I would consider that a smart purchase decision. As long as the style is what you like...

One other factor though, knockoffs MAY have fitment problems, so that is definitely a plus for purchasing a true body kit. However, I personally think the GReddy PE exhaust had poor fitment and it is not a knockoff so I am sure there are some true bodykits out there that also have fitment problems (ie, L-sportline grill).

Brent
Old 06-19-01, 06:04 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hmmm, ever loose a rear bumper on the freeway? Sure, you won't crash, but the cars behind might.

Material Quality of a body kit does matter. Maybe not as much as rims, but you don't want to constantly repair or replace your kit due to ****ty quality. Knock-off kits are made like crap and they fit like crap.

Most garages charge extra to install knock-off kits and they have NOTORIOUSLY bad fit and often times need reinforcing.

And the difference in price between a **** knock-off and a quality OG kit is that the quality OG kit is HAND LAID using better quality uniform mesh fiberglass...and they're usually thicker.

I don't agree with knock-off body kits being a smart decision because then you're saying knock-off rims are also a smart decision..."as long as the style is what you like". At least some knock-off rims meet minimum safety requirements. No such thing in the body kit world...In general, I would say most knock-off rims are made better than a knock-off body kit.

At any rate, knock-off ANYTHINGs should be a no-no...you can buy a knock-off Rolex that probably more acurate (quartz) but is it the same as owning a real Rolex? Knock-offs are for cheezy people who want LUXURY items but can't afford the real thing, so they FAKE it with knock-offs...FAKERS. Why would want to be a FAKER? Why not buy fake gold, fake diamonds...buy polished aluminium and pass it off as Platinum? Fixing up a LEXUS is a LUXURY. It's not a necessity. If you can't afford to fix up your Lexus with quality parts, why fix it up at ALL? Just leave it stock. It's just as cheezy as the people who do GS/IS conversions to their Civics because they couldn't afford a real GS/IS. CHEEZY.

If it takes time to get a real kit, just wait! You're car isn't going anywhere. A few weeks won't kill you. I still don't have a body kit on my car and I've had it since October 2000...it's been months...so what?

I don't know of anyone actively importing Avant Garde kits (Zairez)...I would just have Dave order it and sit back and wait...in the mean time, you can do other upgrades like a full TRD bar set (STB, Sways, LCB, etc.), Rims, etc., ec...
Old 06-20-01, 10:44 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

With all due respect Manaray,

I agree with you "in principle" that if you can't afford it then don't buy it. However, sometimes I feel that you want to impose your WILL upon a lot of people here that want to go the knock-off route. I say this, of course, half-jokingly, because I do respect your knowledge and your opinion. I see responses like "sorry Manaray, I am going to buy knock-off rims" or "Manaray, I notice you don't like knock-off this or that" almost as if they are seeking YOUR approval of what they are doing. People on this forum should be able to receive advice WITHOUT having negative opinions. I believe you can have CONSTRUCTIVE criticism but you can also have NEGATIVE criticism. Calling people who choose knock-offs as FAKERS and CHEEZERS, although very true sometimes cannot be an umbrella-type judgment on every single case and usually produces a negative effect. If you really are so passionate about whether people are perceived as FAKERS and CHEEZERS then you should also be concerned with how they feel when you accuse them of being so...

As for losing a bumper on the freeway...you could STILL lose the bumper on the freeway if the body shop did a poor job of attaching an OG kit rear bumper. Too many factors there to blame the knock-off kit. Besides, have you heard cases where a knock-off bumper has created such an event? If not, then that is THEORY and theory only which carries as much weight as the theory that the knock-off bumper will STAY ON making it a wash in both cases.

Anyway, I have absolutely no hard feelings towards you Manaray, in fact, I was looking forward to kicking it with you at the Club Lexus meet but unfortunately you did not make it...

I actually have another debatable question. How do you know for sure that ALL OG bodykits are better made? Most originate from Japan and Japan is notorious for hiking up their prices. Some of the bodykits are cheaper because they are made in the USA. I may be wrong in the assumption. However, for example, Sony dumps millions and millions of dollars in advertising their products. Similar companies like Toshiba have the SAME quality products for a much cheaper price because they spend less dollars in advertising to the US. I would consider it a smart buying decision to purchase a Toshiba product over a Sony product because I don't want to buy in to the "hype" of a Sony product. Granted both products come from Japan so the argument stops there. I don't see how it is possible to write off the quality of knock-off bodykit made in the US versus one that is made in Japan...Can you accurately say that ALL knock-off bodykits are of bad quality?

Anyway, sorry for stirring up trouble...I too would not buy a bodykit unless I know the quality is good. In fact, I would like to keep the body as stock as possible with possibly only a few enhancements...I just wanted to provide the folks here with another angle...Peace.

Brent
Old 06-20-01, 11:47 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

BLiu, very well said. Manaray, stop picking on people!!

There are some very valid points made on both sides. Differences of opinion (note the word OPINION) make forums like this very informative when knowledgable people share different views.

Old 06-20-01, 12:14 PM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Default In reply to Bliu and Manaray.

I do value the opinions that Manaray has given, but to be honest they have sounded negative. I have posted rims and body kits and both times you were harsh to the things I have posted. I am new to this board and new to Lexus GS but not new to Modifications. I use to compete in custom sounds and had all the highend products. I believe you get what you pay for and I have always paid for the better products. When I post in this forum, I post for several reasons. Most of the guys in here have seen many modified GS's and know what will look good, perform well and fit.

Example - I posted a pic of a crap ADR wheel, but I like the style. You gave me the name of the better rim. Club Linea Carrera. Thanks. I am looking into those and the Volks as my two choices. I like the Racing Harts C2 also.

Brent - thanks for the input also.

I didn't want to sound-off first when I was feeling like I was doing something wrong posting on this board. Like I said I am new to this board and didn't want to make enemies. Brent thanks for opening the door and now I would like to close it.

Peace and thank the Japanese for making a great car!

Khanh
Old 06-20-01, 01:51 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Brent - Hey, no hard feelings...I can dish it out so I should be able to take it too I was at the Club Lexus meet but I didn't get there till late (man, you guys ate all the food! ) Maybe I'll actually get my *** up on time for the next one (can we plan it to start at say...oh...5PM...we'll make it a "Hot Lexus Nights" show )

As for me imposing my WILL...eh, I see it has a strong suggestion. I know that some of my criticism is negative , but I'm just trying to keep other Club Lexus members from showing up on www.beaters.com. People don't need to seek my approval...that's not what I'm here for, but I think there is a "right" way to do things...and going the knock-off route, is NOT the right way when it comes to "hot-rodding" your Lexus.

And it's still my opinion that people who KNOWINGLY buy knock-offs (COMPLETELY different story if they really didn't know like in Knguyen's case) are cheezy and I consider them fakers. To me, they are really no different then the people THEY make fun of who buy rim-looking hubcaps to put on their Civics...afterall, those guys are just going for the "look" of rims w/o investing much money which is the same school of though for buying knock-offs in the first place.

As for quality, I can't think of one rim or bodykit where the knock-off version is of better quality than the original...but as I've always said, they make CRAP in Japan too...not EVERY OG body kit is well made, but all the ones I've seen for Lexus cars have been of top notch quality. While I agree with your Sony vs. Toshiba argument, I dont' think the same rule applies for body kits...I think comparing say a Junction Produce kit vs. AutoCouture is more like your Sony vs. Toshiba argument (JP kits are normally much more expensive than AutoCouture kit). I've SEEN the knock-off kits they sell here (like the Revolution WIN.Racing knock-off and the Erebuni) and they don't compare to the originals in quality OR fit.

I have also seen TONS of fake kits for the Honda crowd and again, the fakes suck. The ONLY time I would say a "knock-off" is ok in a case like my friend's...he bought a REAL Mugen kit from Japan for his CRX and then made a mold of it, and did a carbon fiber/kevlar version of the kit...then he sold the kit (let me tell ya, he had no shortage of buyers for the Mugen kit!). Never sold any of the Carbon/Kevlar versions because he personally hand laid the Carbon/Kevlar and it took him a LONG *** time...plus material costs wasn't exactly "cheap".

As for the rear bumper falling off, yes, that DID happen and it almost hit me. One side of the rear bumper's mount broke (weak mount) and it started to drag...next thing you know, pop! The whole thing broke off...nice, eh? Good thing I kept my distance (I do that when I see a ricer ahead of me...don't know what Mickey Moused part will fall off!) Plus I see many of these ricers come into my buddy's shop with broken mounts all the time...in EVERY SINGLE case, they were knock-off bumpers...of course, not every knock-off bumper is going to do this, I'm just tell you what I've seen first hand. I have yet to see a REAL Mugen kit or a REAL C-Westin kit or any other REAL kit come back to my friend's shop....

You see, this is where I come from...I have a few friends that own body shops (for ricers and whatnot...) plus I know some people who work in the industry and of course know other people who know are in the whole show car circuit...I've either seen or heard nearly everything for the import industry (like I said, I've been in it many many years)...and the cars that get the most respect are the ones that are done up 'right' with OG equipment...not fake knock-off ****...

With the whole VIP/Luxury scene, people should not be buying cheap **** because the "good stuff" is "expensive". COME ON! We all have NICE EXPENSIVE CARS. The whole POINT to the Luxury fix-up scene is that it IS EXCLUSIVE because not everybody can afford to do it. Otherwise, we all would have bought Civics and Integras...like I say when it comes to doing this kind of stuff to luxury cars, if you can't afford to do it right, don't do it...

And I actually had a question about your car! Did your GS have a factory rear wing before you installed the Win lip spoiler? I've been wanting to get rid of my factory wing since I bought the car (came stock...no choice in the matter)...but didn't want holes...I wanted to know if the Win wing covered up the holes..

Zushwa - Hey, you call it picking, I call it helping!

Last edited by Manaray; 06-20-01 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: What kit is that in the gallery?