GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Window tint got me a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-01, 12:13 PM
drmanny3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Need help! I was up in the Monterey, CA area and was pulled over not for driving but because of having window tint on the passanger and driver side windows. the guy was a real ***. He said it was against the law to have tinting on those windows. So he wrote me up. the city was Pacific Groove, CA. Our window tinting was put on by Tustin Lexus and we remember being instructed to op for the low level of tinting to keep within the law. Is there any new legislation out there concerning window tinting? How can I get someone to sign off the ticket and not have to remove the tint? Help, any ideas?
Old 06-17-01, 01:23 PM
sTWO
Rookie

Please e-mail me at s2@zipmail.com . I think I'll be able to help.
Old 06-17-01, 03:17 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I think i am the king of getting hassled by cops for tints on this board
Old 06-17-01, 08:27 PM
MarsB007
Driver

I believe that cops can't stop you for illegal tints alone. It's a secondary offense, which means that you need to have done something else before they can pull you over (like speeding). I'm sure if you get a lawyer, you'll get the ticked thrown out in court. And also if you got the car tinted, and registered in an area where it's not illegal to have tints, I'm sure there's some law about that. Once again, check with your lawyer!
Old 06-17-01, 10:22 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

What kind of tints do you have that get you guys pulled over, maybe because it is more readily apparent that you have tints? Thanks

GsNav@clublexus.com
Old 06-17-01, 11:51 PM
MarsB007
Driver

I have 18% reflective tints, and the only reason I got pulled over was because when the headlights of the cop car hit the window, they just bounced off. When they measured the light passing through the window, it showed (i have no idea how this could be) 8%. I guess there is some kind of tint, or UV screen on it, which makes it a little darker. Needless to say I weaseled my way out of the ticket by swearing that I didn't know they were illegal, that the people at the tint shop told me they were legal... that I promise to take them off, blah blah, and by arguing that there is no reason they should have stopped me without another reason. I live in Florida, so I don't know about the laws in other states. I just ended up getting a warning!!! Legally, since I wasn't pulled over for a primary violation, there was nothing they could do. I took my warning, gently threw it in the glove box and drove off, making sure I wasn't doing anything stupid to give them a reason to pull me over again and bust me this time...
Old 06-18-01, 05:50 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Unlike florida, NYC cops (some of them) pull you over if they don't like your face !
Old 06-18-01, 09:32 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Roll down your windows..

It might sound silly, but I've learned that if the cops approaching your car can see the interior, they don't hassle you re: tints. I always roll down all 4 of my windows when I get stopped. I haven't heard 1 thing about my tints for 3 years. And, my tint is DARK. Also, I live in NY.

Most cops aren't dicks. You need to consider that they're human as well. Yes they're doing their job in upholding the law. But if you talk to them like to another human being, without sounding condescending, they recognize that. Always address them as "officer" and sound respectful. It doesn't hurt to kiss a little *** either. You might not like doing that, but considering that you could save yourself a ticket (instead of saving face), you mightwant to try that.. It almost ALWAYS helps to mention that you have family members that work for the PD. But don't use it as a bargaining chip. Telling them how you spent your last weekend with your uncle Lt. Bergman, at the barbecue in his back-yard with several officers will most definitely get you off. Cops are very supportive and respectful of other officers. Never lie though. They'll call your bluff. They'll ask you for precinct names, officers' names, and etc.. If you don't have family members that work for the PD, see if any of your friends do. Find out names and areas where they work at. Always sound like you appreciate the police.

I've gotten out of 2 speeding tickets, a suspended license (they wanted to arrest me), a set of blue and red PIAA (knock-off) lights in the front (they wanted to arrest me as well for impersonating an officer's car), and speeding over the Geo Washington bridge (while weaving through traffic). I'm a good person. Sometimes I cross the line. But that doesn't mean I should be ticketed every time I step slightly out of bounds..

I got 1 speeding ticked because I kept my mouth shut. Also, it was an up-state officer, not a NY cop that wrote me the ticket. I showed up at the court and they dropped the charges from a 27 mph over-the-limit, to 5 mph. No points. Just a fine.
Old 06-18-01, 09:52 AM
disc108
Lead Lap

damn, whenever i get pulled over, ive always kept my mouth shut and have gotten ticketed everytime. what should i say in order for them to go easy on me? and i am the unlucky one.. i dont speed excessively (unlike my other friends), and yet im the only one that gets caught...

BTW, 45mph speedzones are ridiculous. they should be changed to at least 55.
Old 06-18-01, 10:48 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Roll down your windows..

Originally posted by MrHorse
It might sound silly, but I've learned that if the cops approaching your car can see the interior, they don't hassle you re: tints. I always roll down all 4 of my windows when I get stopped. I haven't heard 1 thing about my tints for 3 years. And, my tint is DARK. Also, I live in NY.

Most cops aren't dicks. You need to consider that they're human as well. Yes they're doing their job in upholding the law. But if you talk to them like to another human being, without sounding condescending, they recognize that. Always address them as "officer" and sound respectful. It doesn't hurt to kiss a little *** either. You might not like doing that, but considering that you could save yourself a ticket (instead of saving face), you mightwant to try that.. It almost ALWAYS helps to mention that you have family members that work for the PD. But don't use it as a bargaining chip. Telling them how you spent your last weekend with your uncle Lt. Bergman, at the barbecue in his back-yard with several officers will most definitely get you off. Cops are very supportive and respectful of other officers. Never lie though. They'll call your bluff. They'll ask you for precinct names, officers' names, and etc.. If you don't have family members that work for the PD, see if any of your friends do. Find out names and areas where they work at. Always sound like you appreciate the police.

I've gotten out of 2 speeding tickets, a suspended license (they wanted to arrest me), a set of blue and red PIAA (knock-off) lights in the front (they wanted to arrest me as well for impersonating an officer's car), and speeding over the Geo Washington bridge (while weaving through traffic). I'm a good person. Sometimes I cross the line. But that doesn't mean I should be ticketed every time I step slightly out of bounds..

I got 1 speeding ticked because I kept my mouth shut. Also, it was an up-state officer, not a NY cop that wrote me the ticket. I showed up at the court and they dropped the charges from a 27 mph over-the-limit, to 5 mph. No points. Just a fine.
Well, I think my chrome rims attract cops . I knew a cop once that admitted that big chrome rims attract negative attitudes to cops for some reason.
Old 06-18-01, 12:15 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

I live in Lexington Kentucky here is the Tint ruleing here ,,,, You can not be stopped for Window tints alone,, you have to be speeding or doing something else to be pulled over then the Tints would be a secoundary charge.

A court date would be given to you ( If you take off the tints and/OR bring some photos of your car with tints off) the charge would be dropped.. If you wish to pay the ticket I paid about $73.85 for it and did not takr my tints off
Old 06-18-01, 02:30 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BBD
I live in Lexington Kentucky here is the Tint ruleing here ,,,, You can not be stopped for Window tints alone,, you have to be speeding or doing something else to be pulled over then the Tints would be a secoundary charge.

A court date would be given to you ( If you take off the tints and/OR bring some photos of your car with tints off) the charge would be dropped.. If you wish to pay the ticket I paid about $73.85 for it and did not takr my tints off
BBD, you only got 1 ticket for tints? Or did you get 4 tickets for 4 windows?