GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

NAV Problem after installing sound system

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 08:01 PM
vietnamese
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV Problem after installing sound system

I have a 98 gs400 and I took my car yesterday to get my system installed, using the stock nav/headunit. Sound system and everything is working fine, but when i go to navagation, it say "check disk drive" I unplugged the nav unit and replug it back in and also remove the harddrive, but it still doesn't work. The audio shop said once you take out the battery and you put the battery back again, the nav need a startup disc, i'm think that what the pcmicia slot is for, but than i think that is their excuse to get away with the system. They said they tap all the wires, but none of have to do with the nav. Have anyone run into this problem or know how to clear the check disk drive error. Any help is apperciated.
Old 04-28-05, 10:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm personally i highly doubt if you need a "startup" disc, it's not windows.... the hdd is already partitioned to have a boot sector

it doesn't make sense that every time you change your battery you need to "start" it up
Old 04-29-05, 07:57 PM
vietnamese
Driver

yea that what i thought also, i think the audio shop to told me that an excuse. Do you how i would go about fixing this problem. Is the harddrive damage or can installing aftermarket amps and sub cause damage to the nav system.

Originally Posted by rominl
umm personally i highly doubt if you need a "startup" disc, it's not windows.... the hdd is already partitioned to have a boot sector

it doesn't make sense that every time you change your battery you need to "start" it up
Old 04-30-05, 04:02 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are my thoughts and I am pretty sure about this one.....

Hard Drives are metal enclosures with an internal roll of magnetic metallized tape. Basically a HD's "krypton" if you will would be a HUGE magnet-if you ever stuck a big magnet to the side of a HD and it contained data, you would know that that data was gone after you removed the magnet.

Also, Subs have HUGE magnets on the back of them.....

My theory is this-the shop guy doing your install rested the sub against the HD (now unknowlingly most probably) and when he realized what he did, he yanked the sub off the HD enclosure, but unfortunately damage has been already done.

Your HD is now wiped clean and you are now forced to pay $300 to the dealer for a new one. HOnestly trying to prove that the audio guy did such a thing will be next to impossible, unless he's a good guy and admits to it, at which time you have recourse.
Old 04-30-05, 04:28 AM
vietnamese
Driver

hmm very good point, so it most likely a hardrive damage, the version on my harddrive was an 02, would i be able to pay 300 and get a updated one at least. Does any one know where to order the hardrive for cheaper than 300? Well i just thought about it, and my sub was inside the box the whole time, I bought the system to the audio shop with the sub already inside the sub encloser, and it was never removed, so that can't be the problem since the magnet was inside the box the whole time. But when the nav say check disk drive, can the harddrive be the only problem, or can it be a wiring issue also. Thanks for the help, any is appericated, bearly had for the car for 2 weeks =X

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
here are my thoughts and I am pretty sure about this one.....

Hard Drives are metal enclosures with an internal roll of magnetic metallized tape. Basically a HD's "krypton" if you will would be a HUGE magnet-if you ever stuck a big magnet to the side of a HD and it contained data, you would know that that data was gone after you removed the magnet.

Also, Subs have HUGE magnets on the back of them.....

My theory is this-the shop guy doing your install rested the sub against the HD (now unknowlingly most probably) and when he realized what he did, he yanked the sub off the HD enclosure, but unfortunately damage has been already done.

Your HD is now wiped clean and you are now forced to pay $300 to the dealer for a new one. HOnestly trying to prove that the audio guy did such a thing will be next to impossible, unless he's a good guy and admits to it, at which time you have recourse.
Old 05-02-05, 02:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i am curious, where is the hdd located? a strong magnet can most definitely destroy a hdd

i am not sure how you can fix it though....
Old 05-02-05, 05:49 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i am curious, where is the hdd located? a strong magnet can most definitely destroy a hdd

i am not sure how you can fix it though....

in trunk-next to spare-right side of car
Old 05-02-05, 05:54 PM
audax
Pole Position

What error codes are given when you do the System Check under the diagnostics mode of the nav unit?

(Hold down Climate and Audio buttons while flashing the parking lights on and off several times.)
Old 05-02-05, 08:25 PM
maximussp
Lead Lap

I have a 98' gs400 as well with teh navigation. I am also planning on putting in my subs but after reading this im a bit worried. Wats the best way to install my subs without bring the subs too close to teh hd. SHould i remove the hd first? and then move the sub box into the back? Or if i just put teh subs in the box and push it to the back without worrying about anythign will do any damage? This is good information to know. thanks

-Kenji
Old 05-02-05, 11:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
in trunk-next to spare-right side of car
umm, then i don't see how the speaker can damage the hdd from that far away?

unless, they were throwing stuff around and put the sub like super close to the hdd for an extensive amount of time?
Old 05-03-05, 11:10 AM
vietnamese
Driver

thanks for the tip on the system check. I check the diag memory, and it gave a code 78 for nav ecu. What is a code 78 anyone?
Old 05-03-05, 05:41 PM
audax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vietnamese
thanks for the tip on the system check. I check the diag memory, and it gave a code 78 for nav ecu. What is a code 78 anyone?
According the FSM, code 78 means "Harddisk reading error" and suggests "replace the harddisk" to fix the problem.
Old 05-03-05, 11:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by audax
According the FSM, code 78 means "Harddisk reading error" and suggests "replace the harddisk" to fix the problem.
now tat doesn't sound good at all

personally i feel that the hdd is damaged
Old 05-04-05, 02:01 AM
vietnamese
Driver

i think so too, at least i know what the problem is. Now can i order the latest harddrive online, or would i have to go to my local dealer. Anyone know any place for cheap?
Old 05-04-05, 01:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by vietnamese
i think so too, at least i know what the problem is. Now can i order the latest harddrive online, or would i have to go to my local dealer. Anyone know any place for cheap?
there is a pcmcia slot right? maybe you can find out if that slot will work. if so, get a pcmcia memory card instead of hdd. i think it's more durable?

Quick Reply: NAV Problem after installing sound system