GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS VERTEX Kit, other bodykits put on at bodyshops etc UPDATE

Old 04-05-05, 07:27 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS VERTEX Kit, other bodykits put on at bodyshops etc UPDATE

I finally dropped off the car at the dealership and they told me the kit I got was a piece of crap and it isn't worth the trouble etc and it is a cheap throw together etc and at first they told me that there is no way to get that thing to fit right and then after they jacked up the price they said they can make it work but it wouldn't be 100% fitment since it isn't an OEM part etc but they said if I wasn't picky and looking at it with a microscope I would be pleased. Also the guy I bought the kit from said that you have to remove the front bumber reinforcement beam or something, they said Japan didn't have the reinenforcement beam and that is why it doesn't fit good because of that. I was wondering with the people that have other bodykits did you have to take the reinenforcement beam out with your kit or keep it there and was it 100% exact or what is going on there. They said if I had gotten a PU kit then it wouldn't have been so much trouble, either it would fit or it wouldn't fit and they couldn't make it fit either I could have sent it back or it would have been much easier to put on. Anyone have any simliar instances? They are charging me $2066 to put it own since it is cracked in a few places and also they have to sand and primer the thing 3 times they said. They said it will be around 40 hours of labor to put that on there. Someone let me here something.
Old 04-05-05, 07:30 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kit ??
you got a real vertex kit ??
Old 04-05-05, 07:30 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

U take ur car to a dealership bodyshop? u better know what u're doin......
Old 04-05-05, 07:34 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why are you taking this to a dealership? They dont have any experience with fiberglass or shuold have any experience with aftermarket bumper installs.

was this a real vertex kit or a knock off?
Old 04-05-05, 07:39 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

1. A dealership is not designed to install aftermarket bodykits so they will charge you up your butt to install your bumper.

2. JDM cars (like my aristo for example) doesn't have the 5mph crash bumper addition thingy that you guys have in the US. The extra few mm forward will cause your bumper not to fit properly. This has happened to people who bought lip kits and realizing afterward that the lip installed doesn't extend all the way to the end of your bumper. If you bought a full bumper, you can just remove all the padding. (In my old vw, the "crash bumper" was just a bunch of styrofoam stuffed into the stock USDM bumper which could easily be removed)

3. GET OUT OF the stealership and find a recognized aftermarket bodykit installer in your area. The only thing the stealership is good for is to erase error codes and do warrantied services. Everything else should be done by some people experienced in the area.

4. Good luck!
Old 04-05-05, 07:40 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

it was a vertex replica, and it is a bodyshop, dealership and they have put on several bodykits, it is the best bodyshop we have in the city here. The top of the line paint facilities etc, not a mom and pop shop though.
Old 04-05-05, 07:42 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

have you tried contacting GammaLex

maybe he has a good body guy
Old 04-05-05, 07:45 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

gammalex lives like 5 hours from me, and the bodykit will take like 3-5 days to put it on, remember it is cracked and all too, I saw the 2 big cracks in the front. I started the thread to see if anyone had to remove the 5mph crash bumper thing. the guy I bought it from. www.nsptuner.com said he had to remove his when he put it on. the dealership said they can put it on over that and it will be fine but they said it will stick out a little, do you have to remove the bumper thing for a japan made bodykit or not that is my question I guess.
Old 04-05-05, 07:47 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

yeah i had to remove mine

whn i installed my new bumper
Old 04-05-05, 07:54 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

What is wrong with dealership places? I know you pay more, but I think I know what you are getting at. You are trying to get me to go to like a Aftermarket place that sells bodykits and like air intakes and like other Performance upgrades and all? there is no such place like that here, there might be places like that in big cities like Dallas, and houston, There is a place called SI motorsports and they refer there people to another bodyshop which is close to them. That bodyship is used to putting on cheap *** "kid bumpers" like $300 bodykits and all and I don't trust the work of someone that is used to that, I rather have someone that is used to fixing wrecked cars back to factory specs, If they can put stuff back to factory they can atleast put some other thing on there pretty close to it what do you think about what I said here, do you see what I am getting at?
Old 04-05-05, 08:15 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow you are getting jipped. Also you bought a knockoff kit. Im sorry to say but you get what you pay for. I paid top doller for my JDM kit and it fit like a glove. It was finshed well too. I paid $1200 total cash for my kit, rear spoiler, roof spoiler, winkers, and to repaint a door that some a$$ hit at the mall. They used all dupont paint and euro primer. They also did all the work on my boy Justins car LCA575 his fiberglass door panels and interior. They buffed the paint after too to get rid of all the orange peel. He said my kit was one of the best hes seen. He didnt have to do anything but prime it and spray it no fillers or new fiberglass. Heres some pics of there work. Also I still had my crashbar.

Last edited by GammaLex; 04-05-05 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-05-05, 08:15 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

forking out $2k to get a kit installed is rediculious. just shop around more. there has to be more autobody shops around your way.
Old 04-05-05, 08:22 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Does the dealership have any experience working on bodykits? If they dont I would not use them. Drive the 5 hours to get the kit done at the place Gammalex had his done. It will be well worth it in the long run.

I know it has been beaten to death but if you would have spent the extra money on the real vertex kit you would have saved money on the install and gotten a better product. Those cracks are not what normally happens when you receive a bodykit and you shouldnt be satisfied with cracks. I would contact the place you got it from and try to get your $ back or have them replace it or at least refund part of the $ so you can have it fixed.

I had the REAL Win kit on my car and it fit like a glove also. No modifications at all. The body guy didnt even bother fitting it on the car, just light prep and paint. I also did not have to remove my crash bar.

Either you can try to get your money back for the kit and then go get the real deal or I would just find a bodyshop with experience that does good work, no matter how far away it is. If you dont you will regret it in the long run, just like regretting buying a knock off kit.
Old 04-05-05, 08:27 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

got this from the vertex site.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
untitled.bmp (19.5 KB, 999 views)
Old 04-05-05, 08:47 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is hit and miss with JDM kits. With some, you will have to take off the reinforcement bar and some will have enough tolerance to work. With this aspect, your situation is not uncommon.

The kit, however, should not arrive cracked. It should go back. Whether or not it is fixable, you bought a new kit and ou should get a new kit. From what I can tell, the few members who did get the Vertex (authentic) kit did not have problems putting it on. With kits, either you pay up front for the authentic one and pay less for the prep/adjustment at the bodyshop or you pay less for the kit and pay more to get it on. Personally, I'd rather do the former.

The problem is not all kits are created equal. Authentic does not translate to quality, perfect fit. The reverse is also true that knockoffs do not necessarily mean bad fit. Still, the higher percentage goes to the authentic kits. At least with the Vertex, there are front runner members who have already installed it so there is fitment data.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you get it resolved.

BTW - Gamma, 1200 is a slammin deal for all that paint and installation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GS VERTEX Kit, other bodykits put on at bodyshops etc UPDATE