GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

L-Tuned ECU

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-01, 02:22 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the L-Tuned ECU. Is it worth it? What kind of steering improvement do you feel?

Thanks
Old 06-04-01, 02:36 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Well worth the money. Every GS should come from the factory with this ECU. I got mine about a little over a week ago and since the second day or so it has just felt right. The stock unit used to have a lot of boost near center and then a dead spot as you turned. This just has a nice linear feel and with just a little more feel dialed in.

Get it!

Peter
Old 06-05-01, 02:52 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll second Mr. Johnson's response. The GS should come factory with this...
Old 06-05-01, 05:45 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default At one time they did

Originally posted by manaray
I'll second Mr. Johnson's response. The GS should come factory with this...
According to the parts manager at my local Lexus dealer, the L-Tuned steering ECU is the same as was on the GS for the first several months after its introduction.
Lexus changed it because many early GS buyers complained that it was too difficult to turn...so Lexus went to the current factory ECU and dropped the original one into the L-Tuned basket.
Old 06-05-01, 09:26 AM
Overtaxed
Driver

I wonder if the factory steering ECU you get when you buy a Lexus here in Europe isn't the same as the one you yanks have to buy from L-tuned.
Old 06-05-01, 09:43 AM
RacingAristo

I think they are the same.
Old 06-05-01, 10:01 AM
CoreY2K1
Driver

what is the price of this bad boy?
Old 06-05-01, 11:01 AM
GSPOWER
Driver

Lexus changed it because many early GS buyers complained that it was too difficult to turn...so Lexus went to the current factory ECU and dropped the original one into the L-Tuned basket.
RealMarty,
What do you mean the ECU made the car too difficult to turn? I thought the ECU is suppose to improve steering and make it turn easier and quicker.

CoreY2K1,
You can call Steve at Carson Toyota for a quote on the ECU, but it cost around $150, probably even less from Steve.
Old 06-05-01, 12:56 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

RacingAristo,

Actually, I've been told the European ecu is the original -- the one we buy as L-Tuned.

GSPOWER,
What do you mean the ECU made the car too difficult to turn? I thought the ECU is suppose to improve steering and make it turn easier and quicker.

I mean it makes the steering wheel more resistant to turn and gave it more feel. And it requires more input from the driver to turn it. Not like a non-power steering car at a standstill (uugh!), but more effort than the current GS. Makes the steering feel more like a sports car and less like an Oldsmobile. Remember the majority of Lexus owners are older and are looking for more luxury. For whatever reason they wanted a "lighter" feeling steering wheel that turned with very little effort.

I believe on the "L-Tuned" version Lexus adjusted the amount of boost that the power steering provides at various speeds to make it a less "light" feeling wheel. I've driven one and to me it feels great. I did notice that it took a bit more effort to turn but in a good way. It was much easier to drive at highway speeds (and less prone to wander within the lane with the slightest input).

I've always felt my current GS400 with stock ecu requires too much input when I'm driving on a straight road at 80 mph. I'm always making little adjustments to keep it going straight. That goes away with the L-Tuned ecu. It just stays straight.

Old 06-07-01, 07:32 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Default l-Tuned ECU

I have the steering ECU with my GS it's like night and day...it really made the biggest difference for my 98 GS400.

I bought mine from Carson Toyota for $125. I live in NJ just to let you know (i feel like everyone in these forums lives in Cali...what's up with that!)

With the new chip i feel like i have to force the car to turn at dead stop because i have 245's in the front...but i like that, i feel like the car doesn't want me to be lazy!

check my car out
http://members.cardomain.com/xsuperjoex
Old 06-07-01, 08:19 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

There's no doubt that the ECU makes a HUGE difference in overall steering feel, but last night I still saw the difference between the GS w/ECU and the BMW 3 series' steering. My wife's Z3 went into the shop so they gave her a 330i as a loaner. The steering on that car is SO PRECISE! I wouldn't trade my GS4 for it, but I do wish the ECU had made a little more difference now. All in all, though, it's a must have upgrade for anyone wanting sportier handling.
Old 06-07-01, 08:44 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Ironically, the 330 got trashed by every major auto mag for changing the steering to a softer feel. They are only doing fixes back to the "old" steering on a first-come basis or not at all.