GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

things you hate about GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-05, 10:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
my sunroof is bugging the crap out of me- I'm still scared to go yanking on my headliner
oh man this is really discouraging @_@ everyone has been asking me about the fix, and it's so easy. but you dont' even dare to do the first step

sigh if you are in norcal i would have done it for you for free!
Old 03-05-05, 11:15 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have one complaint, and that's the suspension of the car. I would like it to sit a little lower so there isn't too much of a gap, although I don't want the ride comfort to be comprimised. I would also like to get ride of the floaty feel. I suppose I should lower it, but I don't want my ride comfort effected AT ALL and I don't want to deal with wearing out the inside of the tires.

Aside from that, the 2nd gen GS is perfect!
Old 03-06-05, 04:13 PM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see a lot of you guys complaining about handling and steering.....that's wierd because my GS handles awesomely and has very precise steering (probably even too heavily weighted). My car is Australian-spec which is probably more Euro-tuned then the North America-spec.

Anyway here's my complaints:

1. damn headlight condensation - get's on my nerves big time!;
2. bad ride and suspension noise on rough surfaces (although I'm trying to source 16 inch wheels to swap for my 17inchs to resolve that problem - since everyone talked me out of buying an Acura RL [Honda Legend]);
3. the freaking sunroof (Henry, I have not gotten around to your fix - yeah I'm a lazy ***);
4. the digital clock looks like it belongs in a 1989 Toyota Tercel;
5. no steering wheel audio control or trip computer in the 98;
6. the auto-on headlights are not sensitive enough - sometimes I'm like the only dude driving around with my headlights off in dusk;
7. no button to switch off the auto retraction of the steering wheel (you have to go to the dealer);
8.the fact that I can't auto close the windows from the key fob;
9. the glove compartment is too small;
10. the plastic around the cup holder and transmission scratches far too easily.
Old 03-06-05, 05:50 PM
Master-GS
Driver School Candidate

I must say I am quite impressed with this thread. Usually when a topic like this comes up on other car forums most people come back flaming at the topic starter...saying their cars are perfect and they have no complaints at all...bla bla bla. So, it's good to see that you all believe your cars have certain faults. I will be looking for my GS sometime near Oct or Nov, and this thread has let me see some of the flaws of the GS......but there is nothing here that deters me from wanting a GS! I can't wait to be a proud owner! Good job guys!
Old 03-06-05, 08:31 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Enough about your gf, what the heck did you find in your coin holder?
Nothing! He left a WHOLE LOT of dust in there. How the hell does dust get in there? I can't believe I never found out about that opening. Are there other "secret" little openings elsewhere?
Old 03-06-05, 09:34 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Master-GS
I must say I am quite impressed with this thread. Usually when a topic like this comes up on other car forums most people come back flaming at the topic starter...saying their cars are perfect and they have no complaints at all...bla bla bla. So, it's good to see that you all believe your cars have certain faults. I will be looking for my GS sometime near Oct or Nov, and this thread has let me see some of the flaws of the GS......but there is nothing here that deters me from wanting a GS! I can't wait to be a proud owner! Good job guys!
You'll love the GS for sure. Like stated earlier in this thread, these complaints pale in comparison to seats that catch on fire or being stranded because the engine dies and won't restart. Sometimes other car brands are notorious for routinely being in the shop for repairs, thank god Lexus doesn't have these severe problems.
Old 03-06-05, 09:35 PM
Chigga
Lead Lap

you bastards! you made me ran down stair and found absolutely nothing!

I sat in the car for 20mins with a flash light trying to find it. I could've spent that 20mins playing GT4!!!1
Old 03-06-05, 10:08 PM
edfrsd
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got the car, so this is all new to me.

1. The CEO of my company constantly asking me questions about my new purchase of a 99' GS400, usually in the restroom doing #1. hate it more when doing #2

2. The valet attendant parking my car next to the Ferrari and Porsches in the front of the restaurant. This really does not give me much time to dig in my pocket for a tip.

3. Those whispers of "nice car" or "wow" when the valet attendant pulls my car up, especially when I havent even begun to seriously modify my car. What more.

4. No longer do the Civics and Daewoo's trying to race me at the light like when I had my Camry, now I notice it is the BMW and the Audi owners.

5. Seeing the girls strain their neck as they try to turn their heads almost 180 degrees to take a glance at my car as it rolls by.

I've owned the car for about a month now, and I guess I have not found that many things to hate, yet. But the only real thing I really hate is the condensation in the headlamps and the people noticing it as they check my car out.
Old 03-06-05, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Matters
3. the freaking sunroof (Henry, I have not gotten around to your fix - yeah I'm a lazy ***);
6. the auto-on headlights are not sensitive enough - sometimes I'm like the only dude driving around with my headlights off in dusk;
no problem, when you get a chance try out the fix and see how it goes

for the headlights sensing, i thought it's part of the cbest settings and you can adjust the sensitivity? at least on my sc430 i know that's doable
Old 03-06-05, 10:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Master-GS
well that's what i love about this forum too. most people are very humble and frank about their cars. good luck in getting the GS!
Old 03-07-05, 01:26 AM
Kevin Wyum
Driver School Candidate

I went from a 99 Audi A6Q and I can tell you the GS430 is a dream in comparison. The Audi's are an absolute piece of junk. The car itself, the company and dealer network are a joke. The car looks great, goes through snow like there's no tomorrow but has the build quality of a Yugo. It's amazing just how many things can go wrong with one car. The worst part is the company tries to hide the problems and deny them, burning customers in the process. I'll never buy another Audi product in my life after seeing how the corporate group acts. I'm so happy with my GS430 so far.

Here are my three petty complaints about the GS430.

- The steering shake, going to hammer on the dealer to fix that under warranty or die come thursday.

- The headlight condensation, also going to hammer the dealer to fix it under warranty.

- The last is one I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned, the headrests!. Is there an aftermarket one available? That's the one thing the Audi did right. BTW the 8 level heated seats weren't all that great. They take a long time to heat up.

Kevin
Old 03-07-05, 02:10 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chigga
you bastards! you made me ran down stair and found absolutely nothing!

I sat in the car for 20mins with a flash light trying to find it. I could've spent that 20mins playing GT4!!!1
What were you trying to find?
Old 03-07-05, 09:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Kevin Wyum
I went from a 99 Audi A6Q and I can tell you the GS430 is a dream in comparison. The Audi's are an absolute piece of junk. The car itself, the company and dealer network are a joke. The car looks great, goes through snow like there's no tomorrow but has the build quality of a Yugo. It's amazing just how many things can go wrong with one car. The worst part is the company tries to hide the problems and deny them, burning customers in the process. I'll never buy another Audi product in my life after seeing how the corporate group acts. I'm so happy with my GS430 so far.

Here are my three petty complaints about the GS430.

- The steering shake, going to hammer on the dealer to fix that under warranty or die come thursday.

- The headlight condensation, also going to hammer the dealer to fix it under warranty.

- The last is one I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned, the headrests!. Is there an aftermarket one available? That's the one thing the Audi did right. BTW the 8 level heated seats weren't all that great. They take a long time to heat up.

Kevin
kevin,

just curious, what's wrong with the headrest?

guess it must be the gs430. my is300 and sc430 heated seat works pretty fast
Old 03-07-05, 09:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I guess i'm not used to it, but the Brake by Wire system on the GS430 feels artificial to me.
Old 03-07-05, 09:53 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I guess i'm not used to it, but the Brake by Wire system on the GS430 feels artificial to me.
It took me a few minutes to get used to on test drive. They are incredibly touchy. When i got back in my 01 430 it felt like I had no brakes.

Quick Reply: things you hate about GS