GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My GS has headlight condensation - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 12:01 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My GS has headlight condensation - what to do?

Before the flaming starts, I did a search already. I bought a used GS400 from a dealership on Saturday. SHould I take it back? I have a 30 day warranty on the car from the dealership, what are the options?

I know I can deal with it, or get new lights from some of the EBAY sales going on, but I wanted to see if you guys thought I might be able to get it taken care of from the dealership, since it is only 4 days old to me....

Any ideas?
Old 03-02-05, 12:06 PM
TouringGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you're still under the dealer's 30 day warranty, I'd say take advantage of that. It should be your first option to correct this problem. Go back and point the problem out to them, explaining that the condensation will negatively affect light output, thus resulting in poor vision at night. Not only that, but it doesn't look that nice either

The dealer should cover this for you. As a last resort, check ebay or other online part dealers.
Old 03-02-05, 12:47 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the headlight condensation is EXTREMELY common.....doesn't take away from the car too much IMO

I had the problem, and replaced my lights on my own

you cannot fix them, they need to be replaced. If the dealer will do it, thats less money from you
Old 03-02-05, 03:43 PM
whytry
Advanced

I know it is common, I was wondering if it is something I SHOULD take back to the dealership or not.....
Old 03-02-05, 03:52 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by whytry
I know it is common, I was wondering if it is something I SHOULD take back to the dealership or not.....
yes because you have a thirty days warranty. It is expensive to fix it out of your own pocket.
Old 03-02-05, 05:02 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes take it back enough said they should fix the problem but scince it's used they might try to pull a fast one on you so watch out.
Old 03-02-05, 05:04 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down Condensation in Headlights

Before the flaming starts, I did a search already. I bought a used GS400 from a dealership on Saturday. SHould I take it back? I have a 30 day warranty on the car from the dealership, what are the options?

I know I can deal with it, or get new lights from some of the EBAY sales going on, but I wanted to see if you guys thought I might be able to get it taken care of from the dealership, since it is only 4 days old to me....

Any ideas?
First did you get it from a Lexus dealership?

These lights cost a bunch of money. You are looking at $1000-$1500 to get the pair replaced.
You need to have the dealership replace them or give the car back to them. Don't let them try to dry them out and seal them. They need replaced. Don't settle for anything less and have it done right now before any time goes by or they will try to weasel out of taking it back or fixing it.

My car had this problem when I was looking to buy it and the dealer replaced both lights after I told them that was hanging up the sale.

There is no way you should keep that car with the condensation. Your buddies will look at all that water inside there and laugh at you. I know I would if I saw someone else buy a car that looked like that. And don't settle for fixing one light. The lights both need to be new or one will will great and the other will look very old and messed up.

This is also a safety issue as it interfers with the distribution of the light pattern and also the amount of light hitting the road.

The dealer is not going to want to fix this so get ready to battle and stand firm. If you can give the car back to them it might be a good idea if they won't fix the problem.

Good luck
Ivan
3dog
Old 03-02-05, 05:24 PM
whytry
Advanced

Yeah I got it from a dealership here in San Jose, Stevens Creek Lexus....
Old 03-02-05, 08:44 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is under warranty, don't walk; RUN back to the dealership to get them taken cared of. You should have actually done so while there is still condensation to make sure they see the problem. I've heard of dealerships that leaves the burden of proof on you and will not take your word on it.

Headlights are not cheap. The ones on eBay are used. Get the dealer to get you new ones. Take advantage of the warranty and get all the typical issues fixed while you are still can. Make sure the car is up to date on all needed TSBs.
Old 03-02-05, 08:45 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Often times, Lexus will "good will" something for its customer. I think this is an appropriate case for that, especially because you just bought the car from them.
Old 03-02-05, 08:49 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ohh lord....condensation! it bothers me soo damn much I am having the same problem as you man
Old 03-02-05, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i agree, go back and ask for full new replacement right the way, that's a MUST

it's not a CPO i suppose?
Old 03-03-05, 02:17 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm only repeating a broken record here, but if you have a warranty why are you even thinking about it? Take it back and put that warranty to use. Either that or you can spend 30 days debating it then either live with the problem or dish out the money yourself to get it fixed.
Old 03-03-05, 09:11 AM
whytry
Advanced

I was planning on taking it back, but I wanted to get some opinions... THank god the weather has not been that good and raining.. This keeps the condensation there longer... I am currently talking with the service manager trying to iron out when I can take it in. SHould be early next week, my work is pretty crazy and I want to get it there in the morning when you can still see the condensation......

Is there anything in particular I can use or say to get them to fix it, no problem? I know the safety route is probably my best plan, right?
Old 03-03-05, 10:14 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post up some pics, I'm just curious to see how bad it is.

Quick Reply: My GS has headlight condensation - what to do?