GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 vs some psycho in a SUV

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 09:31 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

What a downer. Hope the report is good and the cosmetics are easily fixed. Let me know when you want to continue the exhaust upgrade.
Old 02-27-05, 09:46 PM
gawd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank again everyone for their support, looking at the pics and seeing the accident site really put into perspective the accident. I'm hoping everything will turn out for the best and I'll try to finish this thread with any useful information I can find. Alot of us seem to have a thing for curbs

GS300Rich - It was late at night, so I didn't have anyone that witnessed the incident.

jbady - John, I was really looking forward to working with you on the exhaust project. If all goes well, we can start where we left off in about a month. IT will be better weather for working outside and the car should be prettier underneath
Old 02-27-05, 10:01 PM
flashbang
Driver

The Important Part Is Your Health, You Are Not Injure
Car You Could Replace But Not Your Body, Look At It This Way You Are Very Lucky.
Old 02-28-05, 01:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

omg, damn, that's very bad hit.... glad you are ok, that's the most important.....

from the pics though, something is shifted pretty bad i guess? the front wheel isn't centered anymore?
Old 02-28-05, 09:19 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That blows... glad to hear you weren't hurt.

This seems to be an issue with the invincible SUV crowd. Most of them just don't give a crap...
My brother and I saw a GX 470 get cut off on the freeway last night at about 70 mph- the guy had so swerve to avoid contact, corrected to miss the center divider, and almost rolled the darned thing. I will NEVER own one of these rigs!!!

I have seen it happen too often- somebody pulls out or moves over, causing the other driver to take evasive action and hit something else. Meanwhile, the driver who caused the accident drives away, perhaps not even ever knowing what they have done. If this happens to me, I am just going to plow into them. Jerks!
Old 02-28-05, 10:39 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
That blows... glad to hear you weren't hurt.

This seems to be an issue with the invincible SUV crowd. Most of them just don't give a crap...
My brother and I saw a GX 470 get cut off on the freeway last night at about 70 mph- the guy had so swerve to avoid contact, corrected to miss the center divider, and almost rolled the darned thing. I will NEVER own one of these rigs!!!

I have seen it happen too often- somebody pulls out or moves over, causing the other driver to take evasive action and hit something else. Meanwhile, the driver who caused the accident drives away, perhaps not even ever knowing what they have done. If this happens to me, I am just going to plow into them. Jerks!
Sorry to hear what happened to you gawd. I just don't know what to say to dumb idiots who don't know how to drive carefully anymore
Hope everything will be taken care of.
Ever since I got the GX, I've been taking it slow too
Old 02-28-05, 10:40 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gawd, you have a PM.

Now that I've seen the pics, you are really lucky the fence was there and even more so that it stopped you. While the damage looks ugly, it's certainly fixable. I was out Saturday nite too, and the weather and road conditions in NE Dallas pretty much sucked. I'll bet the other guy didn't even see you.

I hope that everything works out for you. PM me if you need any more ins. advice.
Old 02-28-05, 11:53 AM
gawd
Pole Position

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all the support, I'm usually a very private person, but I must admit, it does feel better to talk about it. I just spoke to the claims adjuster from Progressive, they seem to be really quick to jump on the ball, but I'm not sure what kind of estimate he's going to give me. Anyone have experiences with Progressive insurance low balling you??

The extent of the damage is stll unknown, it will be going into the dealership tommorow for a tear down. No fluid leaks, so I'm hoping I didn't take out any lines down there.

rominl - the driver's side wheel is still straight and cenetred and all gaps are still lined up and
equal. I'm hoping it;'s just a bent tire rod or control arm, I'll have a discussion with the
adjuster and service advisor tommorow and come up with something more concrete.

rushgator - Thanks for taking the time to give me the advice, I'm hoping things willgo smooth as
well.
Old 02-28-05, 04:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gawd
Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all the support, I'm usually a very private person, but I must admit, it does feel better to talk about it. I just spoke to the claims adjuster from Progressive, they seem to be really quick to jump on the ball, but I'm not sure what kind of estimate he's going to give me. Anyone have experiences with Progressive insurance low balling you??

The extent of the damage is stll unknown, it will be going into the dealership tommorow for a tear down. No fluid leaks, so I'm hoping I didn't take out any lines down there.

rominl - the driver's side wheel is still straight and cenetred and all gaps are still lined up and
equal. I'm hoping it;'s just a bent tire rod or control arm, I'll have a discussion with the
adjuster and service advisor tommorow and come up with something more concrete.

rushgator - Thanks for taking the time to give me the advice, I'm hoping things willgo smooth as
well.
ummm just curious. by looking at the pic of the front right (pessenger side), i see a bigger gap between the wheel and the bumper, than the gap between the wheel and the back of the front wheel well. was that coz' of the angle?
Old 02-28-05, 04:28 PM
gawd
Pole Position

rominl ,

You're absolutely right, the passenger wheel is definitely pushed towards the back. I compared it to the front to see if there was any axle movemet that Icould visibly see. The front driver's side is still center with no camber issues, so I'm hoping for the best.

Also, the passenger's side sway endlink/connection point does looked a little screwed. All this is preliminary until I can get under the car to see what really happened. I'm stillhoping for the best, keep your fingers crossed for me
Old 02-28-05, 04:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gawd
rominl ,

You're absolutely right, the passenger wheel is definitely pushed towards the back. I compared it to the front to see if there was any axle movemet that Icould visibly see. The front driver's side is still center with no camber issues, so I'm hoping for the best.

Also, the passenger's side sway endlink/connection point does looked a little screwed. All this is preliminary until I can get under the car to see what really happened. I'm stillhoping for the best, keep your fingers crossed for me
ah man that sux.... hopefully it's just a bent arm, that shouldn't be too bad, as long as the majority of the suspension is intact. hard to make calls from the pics on the sways though.

keep us posted how it goes
Old 03-01-05, 02:39 PM
gawd
Pole Position

Hi Gang,

Just got back from the dealership and things don't look that bad. The worst is on the front passenger's wheel, both upper and lower control arms are bent. The upper portion of the shock contacted with the top of the chasis and left a nice mark. The tech said that if I didn't have the TRD strut brace bar, things would have been much worst. The adjuster chimed in and said good job on that mod

Axles look good, rack/pinion assembly looks good as well. 3 wheels took major damage, one destroyed rim and 2 bent on the inside. No suspension damage that is visible in the rear section of the car. All and all I'm glad it wasn't as severe as I thought.

This is the kicker though, the tech told me with unibody cars and sunroofs, a collision may cause the corners of the sunroof and top of the car to buckle. That was the case in my car, it was the oddest thing. Oh well, looks like more body work. Haven't gotten the estimate in yet, I'm curious what the total damage will be

Last edited by gawd; 03-01-05 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 08:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

umm thanks for the update. not sure if it's good or bad news yet. like you said gotta wait for the estimate to come in first..... but from what you mentioned and the pics you posted up, it's going to be cost maybe 6k at least?
Old 03-02-05, 11:00 AM
gawd
Pole Position

Hey Gang,

Just got off the phone with Gordon from L-tunedparts, he just told me that L-sportline has the rear bumpers in stock. Just ordered mine, so it will be here next week ( hopefully). A few others might want to jump in on that deal....give old Gordo a call.
Old 03-02-05, 03:14 PM
steevo
Rookie

hey gawd,
i'm an appraiser for an auto insurance co.
if i can help in anyway let me know.

Quick Reply: GS400 vs some psycho in a SUV